Scott Guthrie - MIX07, Work, and Personal Details Revealed
- Posted: Jan 11, 2007 at 3:14PM
- 69,459 views
- 20 comments
Loading user information from Channel 9
Something went wrong getting user information from Channel 9
Loading user information from MSDN
Something went wrong getting user information from MSDN
Loading Visual Studio Achievements
Something went wrong getting the Visual Studio Achievements
Right click “Save as…”
This was the first time I had ever met
Scott Guthrie in person.
Like many devs working with MS dev tools, I was quite familiar with the guy - just about everything he says is useful. I used to code by his posts, articles, and interviews.
Meeting him was weird.
For one thing, he's way taller than I am, which doesn't help with my short-man's complex.
For another, I learned that he does much more work than I ever would have thought. I already knew that he was a busy guy, but I didn't know he basically ran Microsoft (that's my opinion - Scott, who is somehow able to be highly intelligent, successful, and humble, might tell you otherwise).
In this interview, we covered a lot of ground. Watch and learn about:
- What's doing on the web technologies front
- What's so special about IIS 7.0
- Why you should care about Orcas
- What it's like to go into meetings with executives like Gates, Ballmer, and Ozzie
- How, even with as much status and power Scott has, he still doesn't have his own parking spot (this made me feel a little better about myself and my lack of accomplishments)
And more, of course.
The first 3/4 of the video are tech, with the last 1/4 being mostly candid conversation. I wanted to get the personal side of Scott because, although many of us have (literally) profited from his technical work, the guy is still a bit of a mystery. I wanted to know what goes on inside the head of someone who has done so much.
Hopefully, he'll come back on and share a few more stories.
It was a very fun interview to conduct. Enjoy, people