Download this episode
This was the first time I had ever met
Scott Guthrie in person.
Like many devs working with MS dev tools, I was quite familiar with the guy - just about everything he says is useful. I used to code by his posts, articles, and interviews.
Meeting him was weird.
For one thing, he's way taller than I am, which doesn't help with my short-man's complex.
For another, I learned that he does much more work than I ever would have thought. I already knew that he was a busy guy, but I didn't know he basically ran Microsoft (that's my opinion - Scott, who is somehow able to be highly intelligent, successful, and humble, might tell you otherwise).
In this interview, we covered a lot of ground. Watch and learn about:
- What's doing on the web technologies front
- What's so special about IIS 7.0
- Why you should care about Orcas
- What it's like to go into meetings with executives like Gates, Ballmer, and Ozzie
- How, even with as much status and power Scott has, he still doesn't have his own parking spot (this made me feel a little better about myself and my lack of accomplishments)
And more, of course.
The first 3/4 of the video are tech, with the last 1/4 being mostly candid conversation. I wanted to get the personal side of Scott because, although many of us have (literally) profited from his technical work, the guy is still a bit of a mystery. I wanted to know what goes on inside the head of someone who has done so much.
Hopefully, he'll come back on and share a few more stories.
It was a very fun interview to conduct. Enjoy, people
Available formats for this video:
Actual format may change based on video formats available and browser capability.