While you're in Madrid for TechEd Europe 2013, take advantage of the opportunity to experience the historic Capital city. A good place to start is the convention and visitors bureau. More ideas and information on the city can be found here.
Must-eat foods and where to get them:
It's all about the food, right? When in Spain, you eat tapas! By reputation, the most outstanding areas for tapas are in the old town, such as Sol, La Latina, Plaza de Santa Ana Square, Cava Baja and Cava Alta, and Plaza Mayor Square.
If you're looking for a traditional Spanish experience, Madrid is packed with old-world restaurants and bars where you can experience history while you enjoy great food! Visit the oldest restaurant in the world, Casa Botín, founded in 1725 and located in Cuchilleros Street, near Plaza Mayor.
We would be remiss if we didn't mention the many Madrid restaurants that boast Michelin stars: Santceloni, La Terraza del Casino, Sergi Arola, Ramón Freixa Madrid, Diverxo, El Club Allard, Zalacaín, Kabuki and Kabuki Wellington.
Take in the Paseo de la Gastronomía (Gastronomy Route). This is a large area at the Casa de Campo Exhibition Centre. The Casa de Campo is Madrid's largest green area, with ten restaurants situated in buildings that are replicas of Spain's traditional, emblematic regional architecture. Here you can enjoy the best Mediterranean cuisine, as well as typical dishes from Galicia, Asturias and the Basque Country, surrounded by gardens. Join us at the Casa De Campo for Country Drinks on Wednesday, 26 June from 20:00-23:00!
Join the discussion with other attendees on where to eat, and share your own ideas and tips on the TechEd Europe Forum.
Culture and Activities:
If you're planning to extend your stay in Madrid, you'll find plenty to do. The city is teaming with museums, historical sites, activities, and tours.
The Art Capital of Spain
Discover Madrid's famous "Art Route". There is nowhere else in the world with as many masterpieces in such a small area. The Prado Museum, the Thyssen-Bornemisza and the Reina Sofía National Museum are the stars of this unique route, where you can also enjoy such emblematic landmarks as the 18th-century Cibeles and Neptuno fountains, the Royal Botanical Gardens and the Astronomical Observatory.
The International Photography and Visual Arts Festival, PhotoEspaña, runs through July 28. This is an incredible opportunity to see the latest works from leading national and international photographers. Visit for location and details.
Sites and Monuments
Another highlight (and possibly the most visited museum in the city!) is the tour of Santiago Bernabeu Stadium (home to Real Madrid). Visit the gift shop, take the tour, and eat at one of three restaurants.
More to do in Madrid:
- Golf the historic Club de Campo Villa de Madrid
- Spend the day at Casa de Campo park, explore the zoo or aquarium, bike, play tennis, swim and more:
- Take the Madrid Hop-on Hop-off sightseeing bus and tour the city
- Zip through the streets of Madrid on a Segway Tour
- Do not wear your TechEd badge outside or in transit from the IFEMA
- Whenever in public places try to stay with a friend or colleague
- Do not carry large quantities of cash with you in public places
- Do not visit an ATM after dark and always use one in a busy area
- Consider toning down any jewelry and other such articles when socializing
- Do not carry a rucksack on your back when in town, it can easily be unzipped and emptied
- Carry a photocopy of your passport and leave your passport in the room or hotel safe
- Try not to use TechEd or Microsoft merchandise whilst out and about in town
- At all times when away from TechEd (especially late at night and or alone) be aware of your surroundings and try to use a busy, well-lit route
- Taxis: only use a taxi that is obviously licensed and never share with strangers
- When using public transport always choose the busiest part of the bus or metro
- Make sure you know where you are staying and whom to contact—as well as how to contact someone—in an emergency
Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to send us feedback you can Contact Us.