Download this episode
For Microsoft, 1978 begins with the announcement of the Microsoft COBOL-80, which conforms to the 1974 ANSI standards for 8080, Z80, and 8085 microprocessor systems. We establish our first international sales office and fiscal year sales for the first time exceed one million dollars . Oh and of course, it was the year of Andy Gibb.
The History of Microsoft - 1975
The History of Microsoft - 1976
The History of Microsoft - 1977
April 11, 1978
Microsoft COBOL-80, which conforms to the 1974 ANSI standards for 8080, Z80, and 8085 microprocessor systems, is announced.
November 1, 1978
Microsoft establishes its first international sales office in Japan, ASCII Microsoft.
November 6, 1978
Microsoft announces the availability of Microsoft EDIT-80, a random access, line oriented text editor for 8080 and Z-80 systems. EDIT-80 is the first microcomputer editor with random line access to floppy disk files.
December 1, 1978
Microsoft announces Microsoft Macro-80 for 8080; Z-80. The 14K assembler is the fastest macro assembler currently on the microcomputer market, assembling over 1000 lines per minute.
December 1, 1978
Microsoft announces the availability of Microsoft FORTRAN-80 Compiler for TRS-80.
December 31, 1978
Microsoft's year-end sales exceed $1 million at $1,355,655. There are 13 employees.
The Albuquerque office's Coca Cola bill for Calendar Year 1978 totals $566.50.
- Intel introduces the 8086 chip, the start of the 16-bit microprocessor family.
- Senator Al Gore of Tennessee coins the phrase “information highway” in a meeting with computer industry officials.
- Louise Brown, the first baby to be conceived outside the human body, is born to British parents.
- The United States bans chlorofluorocarbons as spray propellants because they damage the ozone layer.
- Shadow Dancing, by Andy Gibb, tops the Billboard charts for the year.
Available formats for this video:
Actual format may change based on video formats available and browser capability.
Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to send us feedback you can Contact Us.