Download this episode
ISV Architect Evangelist Bruce Kyle of Microsoft and MVP Stuart Celarier explore the new languages features in C#. It's a Whirlwind Tour of the important language features of C# 4. Stuart describes each major feature and why it is useful. But doesn't get into best practices nor suggested usages. Just the facts about each feature.
Whirlwinds are bite-sized webcasts, generally shorter than 15 minutes. You can start anywhere in the series to learn about the parts you're most interested in.
This session on dynamic lookup introduces a new pseudo-type
dynamic is introduced into the C# type system. It's used to call dynamic languages, COM object, or XML using types not known at compile time (aka duck typing). Stuart introduces
the concepts of dynamic lookup and how you use it in your C# code.
For more information about how to create a dyanamic lookup language for XML, see deCast - Dynamic Xml with C# 4.0.
Also see dynamic languages IronPython and IronRuby.
Discover the entire series on C#.
What's new in C# 2
- Whirlwind 1 - Generics
- Whirlwind 2 - Iterators
- Whirlwind 3 - Partial types, Anonymous methods
- Whirlwind 4 - Accessors, Static Classes, Nullable Types
What's new in C# 3
- Whirlwind 5 - Automatically Implemented Properties, Type Inference, Initializer
- Whirlwind 6 - Anonymous types, Extension method
- Whirlwind 7 - Lambda Expressions
- Whirlwind 8 - Linq
What's new in C# 4
- Whirlwind 9 - Introducing C# 4
- Whirlwind 10 - Dynamic Lookup
- Whirlwind 11 - Named & Optional Parameters
- Whirlwind 12 - More COM Love
- Whirlwind 13 - Covariance & Contravariance
- Whirlwind 14 - Events
For the latest news for developers and ISVs, see
US ISV Developer Community blog.
Download code samples from VisualStuart.net. Also check out Stuart's blog posts C# 4 on Visual Stuart.NET. To run the examples, Stuart used IronPython 2.6.1 RC for .NET 4 RC. But you should be able to use later versions of IronPython.
Available formats for this video:
Actual format may change based on video formats available and browser capability.
Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to send us feedback you can Contact Us.