You know, we love video games as much as the next guy, but really, a badge for playing them? That’s right. The Boy Scouts of America (the Tiger Cubs, Cub Scouts, and Webelos Scout, that is) have officially introduced a new badge for video games. OK, it’s not actually a “merit” badge per se, like the ones you get for learning to tie ropes or CPR, it’s a “belt loop” and “academics pin,” which are a little less worthy than the badges. Typically, belt loops are awarded for completing standards in various academic and sport fields, not life skills and other major achievements as with badges.
In order to earn these items, the scouts must do the following:
Complete these three requirements:
- Explain why it is important to have a rating system for video games. Check your video games to be sure they are right for your age.
- With an adult, create a schedule for you to do things that includes your chores, homework, and video gaming. Do your best to follow this schedule.
- Learn to play a new video game that is approved by your parent, guardian, or teacher.
Earn the Video Games belt loop and complete five of the following requirements:
- With your parents, create a plan to buy a video game that is right for your age group.
- Compare two game systems (for example, Microsoft Xbox, Sony PlayStation, Nintendo Wii, and so on). Explain some of the differences between the two. List good reasons to purchase or use a game system.
- Play a video game with family members in a family tournament.
- Teach an adult or a friend how to play a video game.
- List at least five tips that would help someone who was learning how to play your favorite video game.
- Play an appropriate video game with a friend for one hour.
- Play a video game that will help you practice your math, spelling, or another skill that helps you in your schoolwork.
- Choose a game you might like to purchase. Compare the price for this game at three different stores. Decide which store has the best deal. In your decision, be sure to consider things like the store return policy and manufacturer’s warranty.
- With an adult’s supervision, install a gaming system.