The MakeUseOf blog has recently put up a nice article listing the essential downloads for Windows Vista. These are the things which they think everyone should go and download after purchasing a new Vista computer or upgrading to Vista for the first time. It’s a great list and it includes many of the items we’ve mentioned here on Channel 10. I highly recommend checking out their article for more detailed explanations and more links to resources; but to sum up, they recommend the following:
- Windows Live – the Windows Live Suite upgrades Vista’s built-in programs like Photo Gallery and Mail to give you the newer versions – Windows Live Photo Gallery and Windows Live Mail. It also included Windows Live Writer, Live Messenger, and Family Safety. You can pick and choose which of these you want after downloading the installer.
- Vista Codec Pack – lets you play nearly any video or audio file you come across.
- Windows Search 4.0 – upgrades Vista’s built-in search with the latest version for faster and more accurate results.
- Windows Steady State – Lets you easily restore your computer back to its same condition before someone (like your kids) mucked around with it.
- 5 recommended add-ons for IE7 – this page has five of the best add-ons to enhance Internet Explorer.
- Windows Gallery – the Windows Gallery itself isn’t a download, but is where you can find tons of downloads for your desktop and sidebar.