Jamie just taught me a cool new trick: I can access my Facebook calendar right here in the new Windows Live. To do so, you have to export your Facebook calendar via a link provided by the Facebook web site. Don’t worry, though – the process is surprisingly easy. This is a great tip for anyone thinking of using Windows Live as their new homepage or start page for aggregating their activities across the social web.
If you want to add your Facebook calendar to Windows Live, here’s how:
- Open up http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/events.php which, after you login, will show you all of your Facebook events
- Click the Export Events link and the following information appears (see below). Copy the link.
Make sure you don’t share that URL with anyone, it contains IDs that are pertinent to you and you only.
- Head over to Live Calendar and hit the Subscribe button
- Ensure that “Subscribe to a public calendar” is selected, paste in the URL that you just copied, give the calendar a name and finally pick a color for the calendar. Once you’ve done all that hit Subscribe to calendar.
- Your Facebook calendar will appear at http://calendar.live.com along with any other calendars that you use.