Moonlight is an open source implementation of the Silverlight plugin designed primarily for Linux and other Unix/X11 based operating systems. Starting in September of 2007, Microsoft and Novell announced a technical collaboration which included access to Microsoft’s test suites for Silverlight and the distribution of a Media Pack for Linux users that contained licensed media codecs for audio and video.
This month, Moonlight will begin offering support for the Microsoft Media Pack 1.0., according to this post on the ISV Developer Community site. Here’s a look at what else can be expected in that November release:
- Support for Microsoft's Media Pack 1.0 for playing back video and audio.
- Silverlight 1.0 compatible engine.
- C/C++ based, no managed code.
- Distribution: Linux/x86 and Linux/x86-64.
- Source code releases for any other operating systems
In March 2009, the Moonlight 2.0 Alpha release will include: