It’s here – Windows XP SP3 - and it brings with it several networking and security improvements as well as a small number of new updates. So what’s new in SP3? Here are some of the things I think are interesting, but this is by no means the full list, you’ll need to go here to see that:
- Microsoft Management Console (MMC) 3.0 – offers reliability enhancements and a new Add/Remove snap-in dialog box
- Network Access Protection (NAP) – helps XP take advantage of new features in Server 2008 that monitors and enforces computer health policies
- BITS 2.5 – used by System Center Configuration Manager and Windows Live One Care
- Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) 6.1 – this update facilitates better communication
- Wi-Fi Protected Access 2 (WPA2) – Finally! My favorite! XP will now support for WPA2, the latest wireless security standard
By the way, SP3 Does Not Include IE7, only updates to whichever browser you have installed.
Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to send us feedback you can Contact Us.