One of the programs that received an update when the Windows Live Essentials were released earlier this week was Windows Live Writer. Although the Windows Live Essentials are still considered beta programs, the updated version of Live Writer feels like a complete product with its fresh new design, new features, and the overall improvements that have been made.
So What’s New?
Insert Multiple Photos: One of the new features you’ll notice in Live Writer 2009 is the ability to insert multiple photos and Windows Live Photo albums. With this, you can easily insert several photos at one time. Because of Live Writer’s tight integration with Windows Live Photo Gallery, you can also insert the photos and have them sent directly to your Live Photo Gallery upon publishing. Alternately, you can select photos from an existing album to add to your post.
Search Your Drafts: If you keep a lot of unpublished posts handy for when you have blogger’s block, you’ll be glad to know that the new version of WLW has an integrated search feature which lets you search through your old drafts by keyword.
Tag Suggestions: For those of you who tag your posts in your WordPress blogs, the new tag suggestions feature will auto-suggest tags as you begin to type. Now you don’t have to worry about tagging things incorrectly or creating near duplicate tags.
Insert and Publish to YouTube: Video bloggers - if you hadn’t yet discovered this feature before, you’re going to love it. From the Insert –> Video option, you can browse for a file on your computer and have it automatically upload to YouTube or Soapbox upon publishing. How convenient is that?
New Plugins: The version of WLW supports plugins, all of which can be found at the Windows Live Gallery web site. If you haven’t already added these plugins, they are definitely must-haves:
- FLICKR UPLOAD
Uploads an image to your Flickr account and inserts an inline picture into your post.
- DIGG THIS
Automatically adds a DiggThis badge to your blog post after you publish it from Writer.
- TWITTER NOTIFY
Automatically generates a TinyURL and sends a Tweet about your blog post after you publish it from Writer.
According to the Live Writer team blog post, the complete list of new features in this version includes the following:
- “Instant photo” border treatment
- Insert multiple photos
- Insert and upload Windows Live photo albums
- Insert and publish video to YouTube
- Spell checking in: Arabic, Basque, Bulgarian, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, English (Australia), Estonian, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Indonesian, Latvian, Lithuanian, Malay, Polish, Romanian, Russian, Slovak, Slovenian, Turkish, and Ukrainian
- Server-side tagging (support coming soon to WordPress.com and BlogEngine.NET)
- Type-down filtering in the Open dialog
- Improved blog account setup
- Windows Live Spaces inline preview support
- Support for bidirectional languages
- Updated look and feel