This video will walk you through how to configure and integrate HockeyApp with Xamarin.Forms:
We started off by following the HockeyApp documentation (How To Integrate HockeyApp with Xamarin).
During development, we recorded the actual HockeyApp integration process on video, to provide you with a rundown of exactly what you need to know to bring HockeyApp into your project!
In this video, we capture a real-life example of bringing HockeyApp into a Xamarin Mobile App project, which includes:
- [00:33] - How to create a HockeyApp account
- [04:15] - How to create a new app manually in the HockeyApp dashboard
- [06:50] - How to add HockeyApp crash analytics (Android / iOS)
- [20:10] - How to add team members to your app
- [21:27] - The How and Why for adding HockeyApp custom event tracking in a Xamarin.Forms app (See: Gavin Bauman's Blog & Paul DeCarlo's repo)
- [50:30] - How to integrate HockeyApp with VSTS to allow deploying builds directly to your user via HockeyApp (Documentation)
- [55:05] - How to add the HockeyApp VSTS widget for quick access to HockeyApp analytics (Documentation)
Our project contained a scenario where we needed to capture custom metrics from our shared code in our Xamarin projects in order to assess user behavior. This required a customized solution using dependency injection to allow access to values in the shared code from our platform-specific projects.
We needed to use Dependency Injection to see this project through. Step-by-step instructions on how this was done are available on Gavin Bauman's Blog. While the source code for this video will not be available because it is a private project, Paul DeCarlo's GitHub repo (HockeyApp Integration for Xamarin Forms) contains all the lines of code used throughout the narration.
Note: Viewers will notice that Intellisense in Xamarin.Forms code doesn't work in Visual Studio 2015. One work-around for this issue is to install 3rd-party software such as ReSharper.