64 posts

Build 2014 -- Giveaways

Back to Forum: Build
  • User profile image
    0flop0

Okay. Thanks. Fingers crossed.

• User profile image
    LaBar

Pure speculation here, but we may be able to glean possible giveaways this year by looking at past BUILD events.

2011 - Samsung Tablet w/ Win 8 preview
    2012 - Surface RT + Nokia Lumia 920
    2013 - Surface Pro + Acer Iconia 8 in tablet

All the above with possible exception of the Surface Pro have been 1st or very early manufacturing run of the device. It's almost like they need to do a 1st run, and figure there is a higher chance of issues so those items make a good giveaway (not that I am complaining). Kill two birds with one stone - work out the production bugs an have a giveaway for build.

That being said I am guessing we'll get a Surface Mini + Nokia Phone 8.1 that has Cortana on it.

As for Xbox One - I put that at < 10%. It's a production level consumer device.
    The only reason I don't put it at 0% is because I read yesterday that MS has a surplus and starting next month the console will come bundled w/ a game. Put it this way, if they were flying off the shelf and MS couldn't keep up with customer demand there would be a 0% chance. Since that's not the case it becomes a very slim chance.

• User profile image
    ShaneMc​Williams

How about the following:
    1. A partner provide a 2-1 laptop , maybe Lenovo.    
        A number of partners showcased hardware last year so it would be nice to leave with one.

2. Surface Mini

3. Nokia Phone 8.1 that has Cortana on it.

Just a thought.  As for Xbox One - doubt it, other conferences provide this so it wouldn't be exclusive to BUILD.

• User profile image
    bo55vxr

Am I right in thinking that as well as the (possible) freebies, they give (huge) discounts on buying additional items? I am sure I read that somewhere.

• User profile image
    LaBar

Going from memory here...

At Build 11 MS had a mini windows store set up in the Anaheim Convention Center (attendees got like 15% discount)

At Build 12 MS gave attendees a $250 purchase voucher to use in the on campus store. Note this would allow attendees to purchase up to $250 of merchandise, it wasn't a gift certificate. Just the right to spend up to $250 of your own money. The stuff in the on campus store is deeply discounted.

At Build 13 MS gave attendees a 10% (could be 15% can't recall) discount card that they could take down the street to the S.F. MS store.

A Tech Ed conference allowed attendees to purchase deeply discounted Surface or Surface Pro, but that was in place of an actual give away. It was also limited to 1 per attendee.

• User profile image
    coolwaterxii

I hope it won't be...

var build2014 = NoHackathon + NoEarlyRegistrationDiscount + NoGiveaways;

• User profile image
    flop

@0flop0:Not sure if is of value to anyone else, but I found out that students get the same giveaways as "normal attendees". I originally thought the price for a student was still pretty high (it costs $1,000 for a student), but if they get electronics, then it works out to be pretty good.

• User profile image
    rajgurinder

So many rumors of XBOX ONE, wish Microsoft reads this thread and makes its mind :P :P

That would be too awsome 

• User profile image
    Icog

There is a possibility of.. no giveaway this year.

• User profile image
    Weiman

Wat? Who says?

• User profile image
    kendolondon

Well that'd certainly be a great way of ensuring that Build 2015 doesn't sell out so fast!

• User profile image
    svelasquez1​23
  • User profile image
    IWont​Windows9​Developer​Preview

there will be windows 9 <3 developer preview at build 2014 ?

• User profile image
    MasterPi

#rumor #speculation There won't be a Win9 preview, but they will showcase a first look at the new 3D UI (codename: Metro 2.0).

• User profile image
    IWont​Windows9​Developer​Preview

thanks for the reply @MasterPi:

• User profile image
    okshaw

I think they are going to giving out surface minis and Nokia phones with 8.1 this year.  

• User profile image
    sebam

I think that the best approach they could take in order to let the people have the ability to use the tools and technologies that will be presented in the conference is:

* Surface Pro 2 (256-512 GB): To test Windows 8.1 update 1, install visual studio, use azure, office and any product presented in the conference

* Windows Phone 8.1 (Lumia 930-Lumia Icon) developer unlocked: In order to learn to develop apps in the platform and to try the new features.

Nice to have (Unanounced products):

* Surface Mini

* Microsoft Smartwatch.

I think that an Xbox One won't be an according giveaway aligned with the objective of this conference.

• User profile image
    Derived42

@sebam
    Agree 100%.  We'll find out in a week!

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.