Coffeehouse Thread

15 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

100,000 Windows 8 Apps by January 2013

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Ian2
  • User profile image
    evildictait​or

Do you mean 2013? 2012 is a bit too optimistic

• User profile image
    spivonious

@Ian2: Wow, 100,000 apps in about 110 days? That would be awesome, but I think it will take a bit longer to hit that mark.

• User profile image
    DeathBy​VisualStudio

More Microsoft marketing... Gotta give those poor WinRT tablet buyers some hope.

• User profile image
    Ian2

Maybe this is what is known in programming circles as a WTF

• User profile image
    vesuvius

, evildictait​or wrote

Do you mean 2013? 2012 is a bit too optimistic

ditto, read Mary's title.

• User profile image
    Ian2

Oh OK, but maybe still a little optimistic ....

• User profile image
    dentaku

OR, it could be that they're going to announce that WP7/8 apps will work on Win8 tablets which is going to make the number go up instantly.

• User profile image
    exoteric

Do we really care about whether there are 50'000 or 100'000 apps? It does sound promising though.

• User profile image
    JoshRoss

Somebody in the messaging department got confused. Those numbers weren't for Apps, they were for viruses. 100,000 viruses by January!

-Josh

• User profile image
    JoshRoss

I really hate the term Apps to describe a collection of crappy programs; things like fart apps or flashlight apps or RSS readers or camera apps or check-in apps for your sitespaces site.

-Josh

• User profile image
    JoshRoss

Speaking of viruses and other boogerware, has anyone picked up anything while running Windows 8? I'm mostly careful when clicking or not clicking things, but I have to imagine that some of you are not. So, who would like to step up to the plate and tell some horror story about the nasty bit of software you managed to install on your Windows 8 machine? Any takers? Dovella, I need you to click on something bad.

-Josh

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Windows Defender now has anti-virus built-in, so hopefully it will catch any nastiness before you install it. There's also the "improved" smartscreen filter, which still randomly decides to make me jump through ridiculous hoops to execute certain things just because they're not commonly downloaded.

It's especially fun since I run as a true limited user. Sometimes smartscreen demands "administrator approval" (not for elevation, it just requires me to enter my administrator password to run the application at all), and it uses a new type of metro-style screen overlay to ask for that, which doesn't support my fingerprint reader (everywhere else in Windows I can use it, including the UAC elevation dialog), so I have to enter my long and complicated admin password. This seems like a very curious oversight.

• User profile image
    JoshRoss

@Sven Groot: I believe that smartscreen can detect if the application is an installer that requires elevated permissions to install correctly-- for example, things that install to anywhere outside of %homepath%.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

@JoshRoss: No, this is not for elevation. If the application needs to be elevated, I'll get a separate UAC dialog (on which I can use the fingerprint reader) after the SmartScreen "administrator permission" thing. Note that you'll probably never see that dialog if you're not running as a limited user.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.