Coffeehouse Thread

34 posts

A truely high performance laptop?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Xenon101

I'm looking for a truely high performance laptop without the alienware pricetag (just found out alienware are relabelled, never knew that!), anyway!

I'm looking for a
    p4 3.0ghz
    512mb ram
    100gb hdd
    256mb gfx
    4 speakers with a subwoofer
    wireless lan G
    dvd-rw drive
    windows xp home/pro either will do!

I'm also located in the UK and not wanting to spend over £1100, if you know of anywhere let me know!

• User profile image
    zzzzz

hp ZD

Have the zd7000 last years model,

Draw backs
    Large i do mean large
    Heavy
    very big monitor
    Forget about using in coach, Exit rows are OK

• User profile image
    Xenon101

I'm seriously considering dell, at the mo they have a good offer on their Inspiron 9300's here in the uk, well offer or not I can get a pretty nice one for £1079.

• User profile image
    Cairo

Xenon101 wrote:
    I'm seriously considering dell, at the mo they have a good offer on their Inspiron 9300's here in the uk, well offer or not I can get a pretty nice one for £1079.

Inspirons are shoddy. It'll fall apart on you.

• User profile image
    zzzzz

the nice things of the ZD is the real keyboard and num pad. 

It truly is the only desktop replacement but it sacrifices mobility

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Xenon101 wrote:
    just found out alienware are relabelled, never knew that!

I suspected that. Know who they're rebranding?

• User profile image
    gizmo_

I do hope you dont plan on having kids... does "hotdog" mean anything? Wink

And i thought Pentium-M's had more bang for buck both speed and temperature wise. (I outperform a 3.06gHz P4 with my 2.0gHz Pentium-M) but thats down to the insane cache (2MB) i think...i dont really understand procs all that well.

• User profile image
    Xenon101

Alienware relabel uiwell or something now but used to relabel clevo?

• User profile image
    Detroit Muscle

- Dual 1.2 GHz UltraSPARC® IIIi processors
    - Up to 16GB DRAM

- Large 17.1" SXGA TFT LCD Display
    - Full Length, 66 MHz, 64 -bit PCI Expansion Slot
    - Dual 2.5" High Performance Disk Drives
    - Integrated DVD/CD-RW Drive

http://www.tadpolecomputer.com/html/products/mobile/bullfrog-dual/

Believe-you-me, this system is well outside the "alienware pricetag"

• User profile image
    pikatung

Cairo wrote:
    Xenon101 wrote: I'm seriously considering dell, at the mo they have a good offer on their Inspiron 9300's here in the uk, well offer or not I can get a pretty nice one for £1079.

No it won't.

And whatever you get, make sure it has Pentium M in it.

• User profile image
    blindlizard

I have a Dell 9300 and would total recomend it to anyone.  I game on it and it runs better than any desktop I have had.

• User profile image
    Loadsgood

Cairo wrote:

I beg to differ. I have an Inspiron 6000 with Intel Centrino 1.60 GHz (but that's definitely false advertisement, it goes way faster than that) 60GB hard drive DVD burner 512MB ram, Wireless something bluetooth and it isn't too heavy. Not to mention I've had it for a while and had not a single problem with it (knowing of course, that I regularly run the disk defragmenter, antivirus, antispyware and have a firewall installed) I haven't needed to reinstall Windows in the 6 months or so that I've had it, and not a single dead pixel Smiley

The only really bad thing with laptops is that you can't overclock them, or at least, I haven't met a laptop that has been overclockable...

I'd be trying to get an x64 laptop from AMD if I was in the market for a new laptop,
    Loadsgood.

• User profile image
    javamdk

I agree with Loadsgood, I have an Inspiron 6000 PM 1.86Ghz, 1GB DDR2, 128DDR ATI X300 PCIx16, 80GB, 802.11x, dvd burner and all that shabang. I think its' the best laptop I've ever had. This is far from shoddy! It's very durable, it doesn't feel like it's gonna fall apart... unlike other laptops I've had. My brother owned a HP, which completly fell apart... the whole thing was just filled with problems. Also the battery life is kick-(I need to watch my language), I can get a good 6.5 hours on my 9 cell (some tweaking of course)This Inspiron is the best laptop I've had. Though my IBM was nice too, just expensive.

• User profile image
    javamdk

Well that's the better line compared to the Inspiron 1000 series. I had a friend with the 1000 and it was horrible, kept bogging down!

Though for the price, which I would say is its best attraction for the public’s eye. It gives students who are transitioning from high school to university life more economical. In addition makes it easier for consumers to get their hands on a laptop, which overall is good in today's market (increasing wireless access points, more coffee shops:|, etc). Also Dell is backend by their award winning support.

Ok, now I sound like I work for Dell

• User profile image
    irascian

I think at the moment you can't go far wrong with Dell - unless you get unlucky with a rogue machine. Their support may be 'award winning' but you can win awards for being terrible! Sales support is appalling and you can be there a month or two after your promised delivery date trying to cancel and getting nowhere.

Their early Inspirons were very poorly built and with "next day on site support" that support is contracted out and the quality is really variable. It frequently turns out to be "next day plus one or two" if you live in central London. I bought a Dell server with three IBM 10,000 RPM drives in and one went down within 3 months of purchase. The "replacement" was not an IBM drive and had a much lower rotation speed - luckily I was on the ball and refused to accept it and the guy who'd tried to sneak it in as a replacement had to uninstall it but the way he acted you'd have thought I was the one in the wrong for refusing to accept it as a valid replacement.

IBM have a good reputation for laptops but they don't have a Windows key and I'm so used to the shortcuts I find that a real negative.

Toshiba are very good but expensive for what you get and they've lost their edge in terms of not offering hi-resolution screens (essential if you use Visual Studio, in my view). You tended to get very little (like NO) free software even though their prices were so high - this may have changed.

My last laptop was a Sony Vaio. Big mistake. The keys were worn down less than a year after purchase (I have a mainly blank keyboard) and they refuse to honour the extended 3 year warranty saying this is "normal" wear and tear. When the TFT screen died 13 months after purchase I invoked the warranty but they insist on leaving you on a premium rate number on hold to get a returns number. Then they tell you to fax the warranty that they sold you online and proof of purchase to another premium rate number and call them a few days after you've done so (on another premium rate number) in another long hold queue just to get permission to return it. I won't buy another Sony again.

If I were buying now I'd be torn between a Dell and an Acer Ferrari.

• User profile image
    andokai

I had/have a Vaio myself. The only complaint I had was that the battery ran dry after a year which was rather disappointing. Apart from that it was great. You don't really get value for mony with them though as they are all about style. I'm very happy with my current Vaio though, the X-black screen makes it a joy to use. There's very few powerful thin and light laptops so i went with sony again. I don't want to be carrying around a monster. The resolution is kinda low (1280x800) but it's only a 13" widescreen so it's adaquate. Bring on the vector based UIs.

• User profile image
    KarelDonk

Get an Alienware.

And Alienware seems to be rebranding these:
    http://www.powernotebooks.com/

Even for their older models, they redirected me to powernotebooks for replacement parts etc.

• User profile image
    UlsterFry

I've a Vaio, the X-Black screen in amazing, it's a joy to use during sunny weather. If you plan on using it in a bright environment, i'd seriously look into them. Has saved my eyesight!

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.