Coffeehouse Thread

23 posts

Google... Whats Next?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    darklotus

Google has an impressive list of software they have on the desktop. IM client, search engine, desktop search, maps, and a list of various other things including a rumor of a browser... What could they possible do next?

• User profile image
    JScript

Finish one of them?

• User profile image
    MasterPi

JScript wrote:
    Finish one of them?

Hehe. Smiley

• User profile image
    Tensor

GSpecs. Free glasses for all glasses wearers.
    Note: Everything you look at will be accompanied by relevant text ads.

• User profile image
    MasterPi

Tensor wrote:

That would actually be kinda cool if instead of ads it were relevant help docs or list of tasks.

MSN Search team, go invent that.

Please Smiley
    mVPstar

• User profile image
    Sampy

Bah, Visual Studio has had relavent help docs next to your code for years! Check out the dynamic help window.

• User profile image
    billh

Don't forget the Google Mini...

I'm guessing the next "product" will be a cross between a search engine and something else.

How about a GKeychain? That way I'll never lose my car keys again because I'll just be able to Google for them.  Using RFID tech of course.  And some type of Google box that sits on my kitchen wall and completely invades my privacy.

Complete with ads, of course, because they are not charging you for anything. 

• User profile image
    billh

Sampy wrote:
    Bah, Visual Studio has had relavent help docs next to your code for years! Check out the dynamic help window.

Yeah, but sometimes some of those "help windows" come up blank in certain Microsoft products. 

• User profile image
    MasterPi

Sampy wrote:

The twist would be that whenever you navigate to an application, or click on a certain function, help links would aggregate in the specs or specific task lists would show.

mVPstar

• User profile image
    Tensor

mVPstar wrote:
    Tensor wrote:

That would actually be kinda cool if instead of ads it were relevant help docs or list of tasks.

But it wouldnt be would it? You'd wake up in the morning, put on your GSpecs and it'd be;

Compare prices on Bedside Lamps.
    Great Deals on Alarm Clock - Shop at EBay and Save!

What I am saying is - dont believe the this is free crap. Its not free. The price is relevant text ads.

• User profile image
    blowdart

JScript wrote:
    Finish one of them?

Stop sponging off open source?

Or contribute their internal linux OS changes back to the source tree?

In fact contribute anything back to the linux source tree instead of bitching and moaning about how open source databases are slow and just releasing just the odd library or tool.

Hmm.

Naw.

• User profile image
    Tensor

the only way they'd put GLinux back in to the world if it included..

Come on now, say it with me...

Relevant text Ads!

Find great deals on Linux at Ebay!

Sorry - I seem to be turning in to GTensor.

• User profile image
    MasterPi

Tensor wrote:
    mVPstar wrote:
    Tensor wrote:

But it wouldnt be would it? You'd wake up in the morning, put on your GSpecs and it'd be;

Compare prices on Bedside Lamps.
    Great Deals on Alarm Clock - Shop at EBay and Save!

What I am saying is - dont believe the this is free crap. Its not free. The price is relevant text ads.

Tensor, I said it would be cool only if instead of ads, relevant help documentation came into your goggles. And this would only occur if you're at your computer.

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

Comment removed at user's request.

• User profile image
    jamie

i hoping the Space Elevator

or maybe a sandwich spread?

• User profile image
    nakula

darklotus wrote:
    Google has an impressive list of software they have on the desktop. IM client, search engine, desktop search, maps, and a list of various other things including a rumor of a browser... What could they possible do next?

May be Google OS Tongue Out
    (http://www.kottke.org/05/08/googleos-webos)

and/or GoogleNet with Google free Wi-Fi and more localization.
    (http://aggarwalnakul.blogspot.com/2005/08/googlenet-with-local-area-ads-and.html)

• User profile image
    JScript

blowdart wrote:
    Stop sponging off open source?

Oops, didn't realize that was an open can of worms I was stirring.

• User profile image
    Karim

JScript wrote:
    Finish one of them?

LOL

Actually... I'm seeing a lot of PIECES from Google, but I'm not seeing any seriously compelling integration.

That was supposedly a magic key to Microsoft's success, wasn't it?  When they realized they could sell Word, Excel, Powerpoint as a SUITE, and the whole was greater than the sum of the parts?  Sure you can use Outlook with any old POP3 server, but it works better with Exchange, etc. etc.

The Google sidebar integrates with Google Desktop Search, but I'm not sure it's synergy.

One gets the feeling Google is just coming out with stuff and gluing it all together as an afterthought, rather than having a master plan.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.