Coffeehouse Thread

34 posts

New wireless mice and keyboards from Microsoft

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jonathanh

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/discover/wld6000.htm

I'm not a fan of the curvy keyboard, but I might replace my wireless notebook mouse with one of these.

• User profile image
    jamie

i hope they fixed the new scroll wheels ( the ones where they removed the grooves - and it sticks / slides intermitentley ) and I wish theyd add some weight - the last 2 ive bought feel like moving and empty eggshell around

best mouse ever was the first hard plastic ego mouse
    it had weight - and the ball was accurate for tracing ( i dont like laser mice as many of my tables have glass tops - rendering it useless

• User profile image
    billh

Bah, that's nothing. When are we going to get levitating keyboards?

Btw, your links aren't working...

• User profile image
    jonathanh

billh wrote:
    Bah, that's nothing. When are we going to get levitating keyboards?

Whoa. I've got the pages open from half an hour ago, but you're right, those links aren't working anymore. I wonder if someone release them early and then had to pull them. I'll see if I can track that down

• User profile image
    brussell

jamie wrote:

( i dont like laser mice as many of my tables have glass tops - rendering it useless

Try one of those handy mouse pads to cover the glass.

I use a MouseRug.
    This is the one I have.

• User profile image
    blowdart

jonathanh wrote:
    billh wrote:Bah, that's nothing. When are we going to get levitating keyboards?

Whoa. I've got the pages open from half an hour ago, but you're right, those links aren't working anymore. I wonder if someone release them early and then had to pull them. I'll see if I can track that down

Bleeding wireless mice. I assume the margin is higher on them, because PC World et al don't seem to sell decent wired ones any more. When I needed a new mouse it was off to Dabs. Damnit, I don't want some wireless dongle hanging off my laptop.

• User profile image
    jamie

i thought the point of the laser was you didnt need a mouse pad?  "any surface" bla bla

anyway - i prefer mouse pad, heavy , scroll wheels that work (grooves), and ball for acuracy

*edit - and i agree - where the heck is WIRELESS laptop mouse ( the one i have has a long USB cable with a black hub at the end - the new ones have that dongle

• User profile image
    brussell

jamie wrote:
    i thought the point of the laser was you didnt need a mouse pad?  "any surface" bla bla

anyway - i prefer mouse pad, heavy , scroll wheels that work (grooves), and ball for acuracy

I'm not sure about the laser, but the optical mouse works on any surface as long as it is opaque and better if it is smooth.

I find I have much better accuracy with my optical mouse than I ever had with a ball mouse.

This may seem a tad odd, but I use a mouse pad here at work where my desk is actually smooth and I don't need it. However, I don't use one at home on my grainy wood desk that works well, but could do a lot better with a mouse pad.

This made me think of a little movie clip I just saw... I uploaded it here

• User profile image
    Laserheart

The link seems to be broken:

jonathanh wrote:

• User profile image
    jonathanh

Heh.  Some of the publicity materials on that page were dated in the future.  Whoops...

Move along, people.  Nothing to see here!  Pay no attention to the mice behind the curtain Smiley

• User profile image
    brussell

Larsenal wrote:
    jonathanh wrote: Heh.  Some of the publicity materials on that page were dated September 7th.  Whoops...

Move along, people.  Nothing to see here!  Pay no attention to the mice behind the curtain

That's funny.  Hopefully no harm done.  We appreciate your enthusiasm.

Here's my sad story:  I just bought one of these because it was really the only decent Microsoft set that wasn't wireless.  While I understand that wireless is sweet, I really don't think a mouse is a thing that should require batteries.  What I really wanted was one of these to try out the semi-ergonomic design, but alas!  It was wireless.

Come September 7th am I going to wish I had waited?

Probably not, if you're completely against getting a wireless mouse.

• User profile image
    Larsenal

jonathanh wrote:
    Heh.  Some of the publicity materials on that page were dated September 7th.  Whoops...

Move along, people.  Nothing to see here!  Pay no attention to the mice behind the curtain

That's funny.  Hopefully no harm done.  We appreciate your enthusiasm.

Here's my sad story:  I just bought one of these because it was really the
    only decent Microsoft set that wasn't wireless.  While I understand that
    wireless is sweet, I really don't think a mouse is a thing that should require
    batteries.  What I really wanted was one of these to try out the
    semi-ergonomic design, but alas!  It was wireless.

Come September 7th, am I going to wish I had waited?  Could this be the
    cool product that they had to hide during the videos in the hardware labs?

• User profile image
    jonathanh

I think I can safely state* that the industry trend is towards wireless mice.

* i.e. PR won't come beat up on me

• User profile image
    Larsenal

brussell wrote:

Probably not, if you're completely against getting a wireless mouse.

I suppose if it were cool enough, I'd be willing to put up with it.

• User profile image
    Cairo

jonathanh wrote:

We’re sorry, but there is no Microsoft.com Web page that matches your entry. It is possible you typed the address incorrectly, or the page may no longer exist. You may wish to try another entry or choose from the links below, which we hope will help you find what you’re looking for.

• User profile image
    brussell

Cairo wrote:
    jonathanh wrote: http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/discover/wld6000.htm

We’re sorry, but there is no Microsoft.com Web page that matches your entry. It is possible you typed the address incorrectly, or the page may no longer exist. You may wish to try another entry or choose from the links below, which we hope will help you find what you’re looking for.

He already has a couple posts on this thread explaining.

• User profile image
    blowdart

jonathanh wrote:

I think I can safely state* that the industry trend is towards wireless mice.

* i.e. PR won't come beat up on me

Which is great for those with desktops, or who don't care about batteries or who can get their bluetooth laptop to talk to the MS bluetooth mouse without having to sacrfice chickens. Not to mention switcher boxes.

• User profile image
    Cairo

jonathanh wrote:
    Heh.  Some of the publicity materials on that page were dated in the future.  Whoops...

Hah!

*grin*

Thanks, though. Smiley

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.