Coffeehouse Thread

13 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Microsoft hopes younger eyes have Office vision

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jonathanh

CNet just ran an interesting article titled "Microsoft hopes younger eyes have Office vision" about how the Office team have recruited a bunch of young adults from around the world to tell us how they use technology. 

Now, I don't see how a mere fifteen customers can possibly give us the same insight as the awesome power of the full operational Channel9 readership - because you guys have GOT to be a tech-heavy audience, right?  Smiley

So, how do you integrate technology into your daily life?  What are the new trends that you wish the Office team was paying attention to?  What killer feature have you thought of that you can't get anyone to listen to?  Tell us here, and/or add your thoughts to the Office feedback pages on the wiki.

I'll start the ball rolling with a wish of my own - pervasive use of RSS.  Anywhere an Office app lets me send something by email, or open an email, I want to be able to post it to an RSS feed, or read an RSS feed...

• User profile image
    Jaz

yes i did find it kind of weird there's only 15 of them.

RSS feed support would be excellent (along with NNTP in Outlook).

I see more of sharepoint style services to be honest, but MS is already pushing that.  However it eneds to be cheaper perhaps along with the enterprise IM option,  closed networks of friends would be amazing for students.

but i'm leering away from office there really.

I don't use the full potential of office really,  there always seems to be a time when i think "damn it office needs this" but right now i can't think of anything.  err let me get back to you.

Wait i remember, Buy macromedia and combine flash/shockwave/director with Powerpoint.

• User profile image
    jamie

One task document desktop environment + muliple interactions with other apps toolbars + desktop task switching

currently every app has its own page - and you have move and cut and copy to accomodate that

Just click Desktop Document Mode or something - and the acitve page becomes the default work environment. Clicking application icons invokes only toolbars

( yes it would be a new spec/feature for new apps only)

It is somewhat Mac reminesent but done right:  ( they had all the Documents floating all over - willy nilly - palettes and dockers - to me a Mac looks like a mess - always has.  So Windows comes along and says: ok - look - we cleaned all that up.  Every app in its own window.  nice and neat.  embedded draggable toolbars, have them float if you wish.

So all this does - is complete the cleanup ie;  Rip the document body out of all these disperate apps - and make a master page - it could even look like a real desk - or be theme able - but all the Windows OLE would rock as you move between applications, on ONE email or ONE document or ONE photo.. it doesnt matter - the task is front and center

thats what id like anyway Tongue Out

• User profile image
    Jaz

just randomly,  if Office 12 switched to a VS.Net style laod up where you can start a VB.net or a C# or simialr type of thing, would people be pleased.  So it's one IDe for all, one IDE for word, powerpoint, access??  or would that suck.

• User profile image
    eagle

It takes a CPU, GPU, DDR, SATA, WindowsXP, then Office 2003 with a gigabit Ethernet connection to a Server running Windows Server 2003 with SQL and Sharepoint Portal Server and a Broadband  Network because it’s all about collaboration.  

RSS has gone the way of Office 2000, to stay on top you need to GetAtom. Or how about Web Services?

• User profile image
    object88

jonathanh wrote:
    Now, I don't see how a mere fifteen customers can possibly give us the same insight as the awesome power of the full operational Channel9 readership - because you guys have GOT to be a tech-heavy audience, right?  Smiley

I haven't read the article, but I'd guess its the fact that this is a tech-heavy audience that Microsoft is looking elsewhere.  Office is massively power, but there's stuff that I (a fairly technical person, if I do say so myself) can't figure out.  Perhaps they're aiming to make it more user-friendly by getting a bunch of non-techies?  Again, just guessing.

• User profile image
    billh

I worked in an office once. 

• User profile image
    jamie

i took jonathahn's question at face value: ideas anyone?
    * i didnt read the article yet either - but.. who cares about non- C9 opinions anyhowz haha

KIDDING nyuk nyuk

• User profile image
    phunky_avoc​ado

An 'autoupdate' sort of thing where for each Office feature I don't want, I click a button, it's gone forever, and I get a $2 refund for it.

• User profile image
    jamie

Auto-update - I know it well ..
    User interaction fufilment experiment gone horribly wrong...but it benifits Windoze - so it stays

( mac-user spelling intentional)

• User profile image
    ZippyV

• Office voice controlled in ALL languages.
    • A lower price. Now that activation is embedded into Office, the piracy should be lower now (otherwise activation would have been out already), which means more profit for Microsoft. Since Word 97 there have been no big fundamental changes and everytime the Office team makes a new version they don't have to start from scratch. Still it looks like Microsoft is setting the price for Office waaaaaaay higher than it's real value.

• User profile image
    jonathanh

The SeattlePI just ran a followup article - sounds like the 15 "information workers of the future" had a fun time, including talking back to VP Jeff Raikes Smiley

• User profile image
    Knute

Are they developing Office JR. I mean kids and real working people use the product differently so I am not sure how a bunch of kids could make the product better. It would make more sense to get a cross section of the usership instead of just kids.

I have four so don't think I have anything against kids. I just see how my kids use office and how I use office and it's totally opposite. Anyone else care to comment on this glaring fact???

~ Knute

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.