Coffeehouse Thread

13 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Simplicity = Notepad

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jamie

MS Notepad: This has got to be one of the greatest app's ever Smiley
    Simplicity at it's best

i hope i'm not alone in reminding all devs/thinkers at ms that simple is appreciated - especially in design.

...so whatever you do - don't:
    > not add this!- add this! yourselves to death Wink

google is notepad

• User profile image
    Manip

You touch notepad and I'll kill myself.. and maybe some of you.. you have been warned Tongue Out

The only one thing I ever wanted in notepad that doesn't exist is a *nix line converter-button Ascii(10 > 13+10), but if I had to choose between having this one feature and having to put up with all the other features people wanted then I would say just leave it alone! Smiley

• User profile image
    Richard Acton

I wouldn't want an additional menu item to convert unix text files, but rather an option in the 'Files of Type' list of the Open/Save file dialog window.

While we're on the topic of simple applications, please bring back Terminal from Windows 3.x . Trying to use HyperTerminal just isn't the same when playing with RS232 stuff.

Also, a new feature for notepad would I would like to see would be the ability to show line numbers, but not have this as a menu item, but keep it as a keyboard shortcut toggle.

• User profile image
    object88

I would love to be able to change the tab size.  The 8-space tab is too much for heavily indented code.

Boy, was I glad when they added the "Goto line" function.  Woo-hoo!

I could think of a zillion other little nice things to add, but then it wouldn't be notepad; it wouldn't be a simple text editor.  For all those other little things, I should remember to use Emacs.  But for a quick .config edit or whatnot, nothing beats Notepad.

• User profile image
    Catatonic

I like the new Notepad2 editor (http://www.flos-freeware.ch/notepad2.html). It's simple like Notepad but adds stuff that's appropriate for writing code - line numbers, syntax colouring, indent/un-indent, Unix line endings, convert spaces to tabs, etc.

• User profile image
    Sampy

vi all the way baby!

http://www.vim.org

Although I fear I may unleash the emacs hounds with this post...

But I have dogs. And bees. And dogs with bees in their mouths and when they bark they shoot bees.

• User profile image
    Manip

After you add all of that is isn't really notepad at all anymore.. :-/

I mean look at the toolbar, notepad has never had that and it makes the entire thing look chunky and complicated. As does the status bar. 

You know this guy never took any software design classes I mean '?' as a menu name.. that's just dreadful!

• User profile image
    Catatonic

I have to agree about the "?" menu. You can turn off the status bar and the toolbar from the View menu, if you don't like them.

• User profile image
    AndyC

jamie wrote:

MS Notepad: This has got to be one of the greatest app's ever Smiley
    Simplicity at it's best

Well, it's not so bad since it gained Find/Replace. Add regular expression searching to that and it would be just dandy.

• User profile image
    jamie

in all honesty, i was speaking more on the simplicity side - comparing an app that MS probably thinks is dopey or tiny - to the simple style of google

Notepad is a small simple USEFUL app - as is simple search to google

just was saying - its not always about features and bigger and better

its the core function...

Side note/example
    * this is why im not to enamoured with the new  Windows/office clipboard on steroids - id like it to just copy and paste the data and not try to guess about formatting

MS Devs:  "Just copy it in to Notepad and out again"

ahh  simplicity.. Wink

• User profile image
    jamie

duped post - ignore

* can we get delete soon?

• User profile image
    brian.​shapiro

For decent find/replace features you have to open the file in wordpad instead of notepad

edit: Oh i forgot some capabilities were added

• User profile image
    JParrish

Jamie.. read this thread.. and then read your IE FTP thread again.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.