Coffeehouse Thread

18 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

freedom of speech denied

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Jaz

Hey all.  I love the redesign by the way.

Anyhow this morning my Universities student union decided to close down their forums as they couldn't handle the amount of negativity coming in from students all across the uni.

Now i guess it is time to take away the website from the exec as it seems they can't be trusted with it www.mydsu.com

For now C9'ers can anyone offer some homeless students space to rant about our union and exec?

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Sure thing, what needs doing?

• User profile image
    Jaz

we just need some basic forum where we can all vent, nothing major.

• User profile image
    eagle

Write on the walls....

• User profile image
    W3bbo

eagle wrote:
    Write on the walls....

Redrum!

Redrum!

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Jaz wrote:
    we just need some basic forum where we can all vent, nothing major.

Add me to your messenger contacts Smiley

• User profile image
    Jaz

i think i just did.  sven gave me the info.

• User profile image
    Jaz

err think i just did, sven gave me the info

• User profile image
    Tom Servo

Fight the system xD

http://freenet.sourceforge.net/

• User profile image
    JohnAskew

Jaz wrote:
    Hey all.  I love the redesign by the way.

Anyhow this morning my Universities student union decided to close down their forums as they couldn't handle the amount of negativity coming in from students all across the uni.

Now i guess it is time to take away the website from the exec as it seems they can't be trusted with it www.mydsu.com

For now C9'ers can anyone offer some homeless students space to rant about our union and exec?

For this to happen at a University is serious cowardice and speaks very poorly of the institution.

• User profile image
    AndyC

Universities are becoming closer to businesses and how many businesses would want to advertise dissatisfied customers? It's a sad state of affairs, but it's the way it is.

• User profile image
    Jaz

Andy i'd say that was true but it's not the University thats taken it down, no no no, it's the Union, the very people that are supposed to represent the students, the very people that we elected to make sure the union ran for the good of the students.  They have taken away the place where we can voice our concerns in unison to those elected exec in the way the union is moving, it's where petty matters are talked about, we may not like the new colour of the building or perhaps we feel that the price of a carling is too much.  Perhaps we want our welfare officer to tackle sexual health or we want our media officer to look into wikis and our president to forge stronger links with neighbouring unions.

Our conversation has just been stopped because we are unhappy with what the exec are doing.

• User profile image
    blowdart

AndyC wrote:
    Universities are becoming closer to businesses and how many businesses would want to advertise dissatisfied customers? It's a sad state of affairs, but it's the way it is.

But no-where near as sad as the belief that

a) The UK has some mythical right to free speech in the same way the US does.
    b) Private property (and university servers do count as private property) has to provide an outlet for the mythical right in Angel

• User profile image
    W3bbo

blowdart wrote:
    a) The UK has some mythical right to free speech in the same way the US does.

Uh... we do.

The great thing about having an unwritten constitution, is that it cannot be "enforced to the letter and not the spirit"

• User profile image
    blowdart

W3bbo wrote:
    blowdart wrote:a) The UK has some mythical right to free speech in the same way the US does.

Uh... we do.

The great thing about having an unwritten constitution, is that it cannot be "enforced to the letter and not the spirit"

But we dont, just witness the rather rushed hate speech laws. Or D notices.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

blowdart wrote:
    W3bbo wrote:
    blowdart wrote:a) The UK has some mythical right to free speech in the same way the US does.

Uh... we do.

But we dont, just witness the rather rushed hate speech laws. Or D notices.

And your Patriot Act or DCMA is any worse? Wink

• User profile image
    JChung2006

Instead of ranting, do something about it.  Start up your own forums.

• User profile image
    Sampy

Tom Servo wrote:
    Fight the system xD

http://freenet.sourceforge.net/

Ha! That brings back memories!

I spent a lot of time on freenet in college (mostly because it was slow).

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.