Coffeehouse Thread

26 posts

Windows Vista, insignificant? Unimportant?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    rjdohnert

Another clueless

Its time for the Linux desktop!!! article.

• User profile image
    Togora

Much as I like the concept of Linux in what ever form it takes it will never be competitive until it can be used by the majority. It is very unfriendly even though it has a Windows look about it. I would suggest that all installations of updated software and the likes should be simple and staight forward and not looking for dependancies and the likes. Yes it is more stable and secure but if users can't understand it easily and get around without a friendly guru at hand then it will never make the mass markets even if it is free.

• User profile image
    irascian

Orbit86 wrote:
    you payed for MSDN Subscriptions? I never paid and never will pay for MSDN Subscription, Heck the MSDN samples suck *waits for the MS Zombies to attack*

can you use Fedora Core 4 as a server\ Suse Linux\Open Suse as a server instead of getting the Enterprise Editions beer?

Oh DO grow up Orbit.

I see no MS Zombies here, just the same two or three spotty students spouting the same old "everything should be free" juvenile rhetoric to every single thread that anybody ever starts. Yawn! Yawn! Yawn!

My business makes a very good living from doing development using Microsoft software and has done for over 10 years. 

As any GOOD businessman will do I invest some of that income back in the business. The MSDN subscription is a very cheap and affordable investment that has enabled me to keep up-to-date, enabled me to offer a much better service to my clients, and keeps me "in the game" in what has become an increasingly competitive marketplace.

Would my business have been as successful and afforded me as high a standard of living and level of job satisfaction if I'd adopted your "I never paid and never will pay for MSDN Subscription" approach - somehow I doubt it!

• User profile image
    AndyC

Beer28 wrote:
    Since this will never happen in the near future. Mono is giving us a binary layer for all linux platforms. Once every version of linux ships with mono. Shipping your linux program will be as easy as having somebody just download the .exe file.

Just like on windows.
    So, correct me if I'm wrong, you're now advocating developing Linux solutions using a clone of the very same technology that you claim was the reason you stopped developing on Windows? I'm sure there's some logic in that, but I sure as hell can't see it.

• User profile image
    Michael Griffiths

Orbit86 wrote:
    why would I want to grow up? ..If i could pour gasoline on you and light you on fire I would..but this being the Internet and have to deal with "This is my way or the highway". I laugh at your business because you need MSDN to survive..

WTF did you just say?

...I can't believe I just read that.

Seriously: grow up.

You're not adding anything useful to the discussion. Far from it.

• User profile image
    Rossj

You were way out of line Orbit. An apology would be a good start ... you're turning into a troll, an offensive one at that.

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

These articles and their authors and most of the pro-Linux zealots dont get it, they never will.  So why even bother.

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

Orbit86 wrote:
    I really don't care, I'm getting annoyed when you have anything against MS you are automatically labeled a Troll..

http://www.teeko.org/">http://www.teeko.org was running Apache on Linux when last queried at 26-Aug-2005 21:03:59 GM

You are a troll when you say something that is very off topic to the discussion, which Orbit for you is very often.

• User profile image
    irascian

Orbit86 wrote:
    I really don't care, I'm getting annoyed when you have anything against MS you are automatically labeled a Troll..

http://www.teeko.org/" target="_blank">http://www.teeko.org was running Apache on Linux when last queried at 26-Aug-2005 21:03:59 GM

As opposed to the Orbit world view which is that if you post anything that he disagrees with you're a "Microsoft Zombie"! (rolls eyes) Riiiiiiiggght.

The problem is Orbit you are like that precocious three year old who runs amok in the aisles of the supermarket.

You're here dominating nearly every thread contributing gibberish and annoying drivel, frequently making it clear you don't have the intelligence or even basic common sense to say anything that has any real meaning.

Stay around, ask questions and THINK before you rush into typing your opinion or making ridiculous assertions on every subject that comes up for discussion and then maybe people will have a bit more respect for you.

• User profile image
    l33tn00b

Beer28 wrote:
    And I never want to pay the bloated price of MSDN tools and MSVStudio again either. Anjuta, Eclipse, Netbeans, Monodevelop are all free. GIMP is free. Blender is free. Kino, and cinerella is free too. And so is perl-dvd ripp and libdvdcss.

Right...Microsoft could try to give you tools like those for free(like the express product), but then they'd be really successful. We all know what happened last time- oppressive laws and a lousy AG tried to prosecute Microsoft for the inclusion of Internet Explorer and success.

• User profile image
    Rossj

Orbit86 wrote:

http://www.teeko.org/">http://www.teeko.org was running Apache on Linux when last queried at 26-Aug-2005 21:03:59 GM

• User profile image
    Rossj

No, you are labelled a troll when you behave like you have been of late.  Yes my hosting is on Linux .. I use Macs too (more and more) and design systems for Windows servers during the day - what is your point? Go back and read some of my previous posts, I (like most people here) have slammed Microsoft when they've done something silly. No-one here loves Microsoft un-conditionally, but we all realise that there are real people involved with human flaws and feelings too.

Digression -
    .. and this text edit box appears to be broken on Firefox OSX (can't quote other users, page seems to refresh and I lose the quote. Going back makes it re-appear but only the quote is posted when I submit the comment. Also seems to make my find bar appears sporadically).

I'd use Safari but FTB still haven't added support for it yet even though it should now work.

• User profile image
    Rossj

Dupe.

• User profile image
    Rossj

Beer if your software was developed under the same constraints (time,expectation, cost etc) and I spent all my time slamming it would you be happy about that? If I then went on your forum (that you had expended time and money implementing) and posted thread after thread about how crap your software, that I had stopped actually using months ago, was - would that be sensible in your opinion? Would you call me a troll? Your comments about buggy software are off the mark, we're mostly developers here and we all know bugs exist - but those of us who have to find salaries for 100 people each month realise that sometimes, as much as you really really don't want to - you have to ship things that you know has bugs in. Contrary to what you might think about cash reserves, Microsoft can't just sit around waiting for all of their software to be 100% bug free before shipping. Why don't you spend as much time slamming Apple on C9 as you do Microsoft? Do you think that your ranting will convince some reading 'softie to see the error of their ways? And you're dreaming if you think most Microsofties are well paid by comparison to what they could earn. They're not leaving in their thousands for better money - maybe they actually like working there?

• User profile image
    Rossj

Yeah that'll be Free Text Box not working in Safari (about 5 versions ago) and never being updated. You do know you are allowed to put more than one sentence in a paragraph though - don't you?

• User profile image
    Rossj

Can you try to be a little more constructive? Or go and troll elsewhere?

• User profile image
    JPeless

Orbit86 wrote:
    you payed for MSDN Subscriptions? I never paid and never will pay for MSDN Subscription

Most high school aged kids don't buy MSDN subscriptions because they can't afford it.

Wait until you are actually a college graduate (as opposed to a kid just out of high school that needs to learn a lot about things) and you might actually work for a company where they would pay for it for you.

Of course, if you don't change your attitude you might have a tough time doing that.

I have helped you in the past Orbit, so I know where your coding skills stand, etc.  Don't try to mock guys that are over twice your age with experience (coding/life) that you might never have.

• User profile image
    Michael Griffiths

Note: This is a rant. I'm being unfair. I suspect it also qualifies as a flame, but I rather too irritated now to care.

_____

Orbit86, you are a complete troll.

At least admit it.

I may have at least tolerated the possibility of doubt beforehand, but your new avatar? - that's  new low. "MSFT SUCKS" tatood across the forehead of a stoned-out South Park-styled character holding a machine gun is just sad.

So far, you haven't contributed to this or any discussion on Channel9. Even from the begining, you posted inane, childish and mostly naive remarks about Windows, Microsoft, and software in general.

Since Beer28 returned, the quality of your posts - already perhaps the lowest on the forum - dropped dramatically. It seemed as if you wanted to "out troll" Beer, and take the "limelight" for any thread.

What else could explain the the fact that you post almost every other reply in a thread?

It seems your escapades here on the Channel9 boards are nothing more than a childish effort for attention. After all, how original is the idea to go to a Microsoft website and write FUD about Microsoft? Pretty damn original, evidently.

Speaking of childishness, I'm tempted to say you're ...19? Even so, that's a bit generous on the high end. But how else can we explain the "86" attached to the end of your pseudonoym? It's a common trait, particularly in your generation, to slap the year you were born at the end of your pseudonym.

That would leave me to hypothesize that you're in your first year of college; perhaps working to a CS major. Perhaps that's rare enough these days for tribulation. Still, I am suprised you were even able to gain admittance to a college based on your attitude and writing ability.

Of course, you're age doesn't matter. Why would it? There are some very talented, and articulate, 15-year olds on the forum. Certainly more talented than you present yourself to be.

What matters most - and, in fact, at all - in this forum is your behavior and the quality of your posts.

You have excelled in neither.

As I previously went on in length, your posts are far from the epitomy of the Channel9 post. They are simply FUD. Your behavior, however, leaves far more to be desired. You have been the only source of actual insults in this forum. Early on, you were warned by Charles to refrain from insulting your fellow Niners.

Perhaps chastised by that warning, you laid off. For a bit. There have been one or two other incidents, but none major enough to glance over, and given the average readership your posts enjoyed - probably not noticed all that much.

You insulted a Niner in this thread.

I really hate people inulting other people. As witnessed by this post, I am extremely annoyed.

Far from acting contrite, or even aware you have done something wrong - you have actually gloried in the resulting fanfare.

It boggles my mind that you had the audacity - or didn't have the basic respect for each member of this forum - that you insulted someone. I have no response to the fact that you have (1) not apologized, (2) continued to troll and (3) gloried in the people coming to say "You're wrong".

And you have continued to insult people.

Every. Step. Of. The. Way.

You detract from the usefulness of Channel9. You insult perhaps everyone you come across. And you're never, ever sorry. You just keep on going.

You're a troll.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.