Coffeehouse Thread

14 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

blogs / scoble and channel9

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jamie

i was just at roberts site and the comments - yet again seem to be down

this is sort of getting unprofessional - as the main driver of traffic to c9 and his site is broken all the time

so... with the new redesign - ( assuming my requested changes to the profile are made) roberts blog could finally just be here: using all the cool widgets and nice MS styled design ( no more times new roman weblogs stuff)

anyway - think about it robert
    this site is looking hot hot hot - and if they fix the proflies page into a blog - as ive been requesting - there simply is no better alternative than here for your blog

* if they allow us an <insert your own html> area access to the right nav - you could still have your "bloggers near me , and all those other links)

?

Edit: Plus, if you get any troll moron posts we'd have your back

• User profile image
    irascian

jamie wrote:
    Plus, if you get any troll moron posts we'd have your back

If, waddayamean "If"??!! Have you READ the comments on the Vista and Mono threads posted in the last couple of hours? Wink

To get back on topic I think Robert would be crazy to move his blog here, to what is a Microsoft "official" site.

His blog is his own personal space and will remain where it's been even if he leaves Microsoft.

Moving it over here would remove what is already a very thin line between his "personal" blog and his job in P.R. that Microsoft pay him for.

• User profile image
    Charles

We hear you loud and clear, Jamie. We are working on the Profile page. We are also working on having a weekend. So, please be patient, eh? C

• User profile image
    jamie

yes - sorry

have a good weekend
    good work so far [y]

• User profile image
    Nate​Furtwangler

Jamie, I like your idea of having a blog for a profile.  Right now my profile links to my blog on Blogger but I see no reason why I couldn't post all that stuff on a C9 blog.

Plus I'm looking for a new free blog host since Blogger doesn't support RSS (It does, however, support Atom).

To be honest, most of the time I read Robert Scoble's blog posts are when they are referenced from a C9 discussion anyway...makes sense for him to make this place his home!

• User profile image
    Michael Griffiths

NateFurtwangler wrote:
    Jamie, I like your idea of having a blog for a profile.  Right now my profile links to my blog on Blogger but I see no reason why I couldn't post all that stuff on a C9 blog.

What would be fantastic is to auto-pull posts from an RSS feed and post them in a Niner's profile.

Like Wallop offers.

That way, for example, Scoble could keep his blog and have the content appear on his "Profile blog". Likewise, people could set it up - duplicating blog posts.

I think that would be nice Smiley

• User profile image
    jamie

not sure how to do that but sounds interesting - best of both worlds

would comments default to here?

• User profile image
    Michael Griffiths

jamie wrote:

would comments default to here?

Good question -

The real difficulty is integrating blogging into the forum structure.

I'd be tempted to create a new forum and have that be for comments. I.E. each "blog post" in your profile would be a thread in that forum. People could then comment directly on your profile or by browsing that forum.

You wouldn't want to clutter up the Coffeehouse, I don't think.

Adding support for tagging would, then, be rather cool.

On the other hand, I'm not certain it really fits for Channel9 to do this.

• User profile image
    scobleizer

Michael Griffiths wrote:
    What would be fantastic is to auto-pull posts from an RSS feed and post them in a Niner's profile.

That would be quite cool. One problem with giving up my blog is giving up the Google (er, MSN and Yahoo) juice. Wink

• User profile image
    Cairo

jamie wrote:

Great idea!

• User profile image
    jeffsand

We really need your help folks figuring out what /niners/ninername looks like. The profile page is something we've wanted to have for some time and we want you to be able to make it your own. We really like the idea of making it something you can personalize, something that can you your feeds and more. Let us know what you want to see and we'll work together to help build something cool. Help us find the right mixture from making it blog like and also useful for you too. (e.g. Watched threads, Favorite Posts, etc). -Jeff

• User profile image
    jamie

jeffsand wrote:
    We really need your help folks figuring out what /niners/ninername looks like. The profile page is something we've wanted to have for some time and we want you to be able to make it your own. We really like the idea of making it something you can personalize, something that can you your feeds and more. Let us know what you want to see and we'll work together to help build something cool. Help us find the right mixture from making it blog like and also useful for you too. (e.g. Watched threads, Favorite Posts, etc). -Jeff

i would love the opportunity to demo a version of what this could be... but not right (hic) now  haha

Perplexed  (edit: i will have a sample up tommorow)

• User profile image
    Loadsgood

jeffsand wrote:

Hmmm, well I feel that the Wiki and its life in C9 is more important than making the profile page better but it looks like I'm in the minority here, so I might has well give up until there looks like another update is going to come 'round (in a few years most likely) *sigh*

I'm with Jamie, the profile page should be more like a personal blog page. Everyone see the amount of space at the right hand side? Well I'd like to have the ability to make a poll then this poll would be attached to my thread, that way users get to make their own polls, while not having the ability to destroy the front page Smiley This would have to be a third tab (or fourth with the Ink there Big Smile) and maybe a check box enabling or disabling my poll (if I'm unhappy with it).

Just another idea,
    Loadsgood.

• User profile image
    reedracer

Michael Griffiths wrote:
    NateFurtwangler wrote: Jamie, I like your idea of having a blog for a profile.  Right now my profile links to my blog on Blogger but I see no reason why I couldn't post all that stuff on a C9 blog.

Like Wallop offers.

That way, for example, Scoble could keep his blog and have the content appear on his "Profile blog". Likewise, people could set it up - duplicating blog posts.

I think that would be nice Smiley

This is definately doable.  Techrepublic (membership required) is offering a blog pull to grow their blog bank.  It is what syndication is all about!  Just like Seinfeld is syndicated to TV stations in every market, I could syndicate my blog to appropriate websites. 

The problem to solve is comments.  Should be easy enough to centralize though.

Yep, I like it, I like it a lot!

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.