Coffeehouse Thread

34 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Why aren't more people like Mike Dimmick...

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    JPeless

I just wanted to point out that several people (most know who) have pretty much gone way off the deep end recently.  Maybe it is the new layout is energizing them, who knows...

Anyway, I have been thinking every time I see a post from Mike Dimmick (not to single him out, several others, include Sven are like him) "Why aren't more people on the forum like Mike?"

He posts accurate responses and knowledgeable insights all while staying in a helpful, courteous tone.  He never denigrates nor humiliates the posters no matter how poorly worded the questions and examples.

A very good example to us all, we could all get a lot more done if everyone tried to "Be like Mike."

Jared

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Remember the "What Would Jesus Do?" campaign?

I reckon your "Be Like Mike" thing will go the same way Smiley

...of course, Mike's older than me, so I've still got a few more years to improve myself, 'till then I'm going to enjoy immaturity Smiley

• User profile image
    Manip

This thread is a stupid waste.

No; He is not the best poster in the world. No; we should not all try to be like him. Can you imagine how boring it would be in a world like that?

• User profile image
    JChung2006

What is this?  The Mike Dimmick fan club?  No offense, Mike -- I have no beef with you.

There are a couple posters here who quite frankly just piss the hell out of me.  I would ignore them, but they are prolific posters, and there is no "Ignore User" feature on C9.

They're the loud mouthed jerks at your local pub.  They're not breaking any rules, but no one cares what they have to say, other than in that "what the hell is that idiot saying now?" kind of way.  They incite angry replies and help people "go off the deep end."

Maybe you saints have the patience of Job, but I don't.  I know you're not supposed to argue with idiots, or else they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.  Believe you me, these two have lots of experience.

Every board has them, and they bring out the worst in me.  That's my flaw, and I'll try to ignore these clowns.  I wish there was an "Ignore User" feature, but that's not going to happen.

• User profile image
    Manip

If you watch the who is online page closely you might conclude that there is one poster, two accounts.

• User profile image
    MasterPi

W3bbo wrote:
    so I've still got a few more years to improve myself, 'till then I'm going to enjoy immaturity

Ditto. Smiley

mVPstar

• User profile image
    jamie

for what it's worth - i like mikes posts

• User profile image
    billh

JPeless wrote:
    Anyway, I have been thinking every time I see a post from Mike Dimmick (not to single him out, several others, include Sven are like him) "Why aren't more people on the forum like Mike?"

He posts accurate responses and knowledgeable insights all while staying in a helpful, courteous tone.  He never denigrates nor humiliates the posters no matter how poorly worded the questions and examples.

I think there are plenty of people who offer solid advice on this board.  It's just that some days (speaking for myself only) it gets a little um...dull...if it turns into a Q and A forum.  Hence my postings such as "Top Ten Ways to Get Deported" and the "Chinese Dragon Awakens" threads.  This site, like every other one, needs a balance of personalities.

Fwiw, I am currently building a huge reporting system using C# which is going to take pre-written Oracle SQL scripts (that I wrote for a different ad hoc query tool), and churn out template-based reports in Excel (cuz that's what management likes to play with the numbers in).  I figure by the time I am done, I will have taken a process that takes approximately 67 hours per month and have it whittled down to a process that takes about 1 hour or less a month.

After that, I figure I should know enough about C# to offer some beneficial advice.  Although I do offer help once in a while for those stuck in C or C++. 

So, someday, I too, may "be like Mike".  But how much of Mike's info is his own knowledge, and how much does he Google for?  It's not that hard to do.

• User profile image
    Cairo

Mike, it's time for one of those long, informative posts of yours.

• User profile image
    blowdart

JPeless wrote:
    "Why aren't more people on the forum like Mike?"

Because my wife would kill me if I grew a beard Big Smile

• User profile image
    geekling

Because then it would be really hard to feel superior to people in the forums.

Also, nobody to make fun of.

Hippie lovefests can only end in tragedy! Wink

• User profile image
    TimP

I always enjoy reading Mike's posts, too. He's sort of like Channel 9's own Raymond Chen.

• User profile image
    Maurits

Noooo the new design breaks the favelet... must... re-engineer...

This is why features > hacks

• User profile image
    Loadsgood

JChung2006 wrote:
      I wish there was an "Ignore User" feature, but that's not going to happen.

No, it won't happen because it has already been done.

I don't know why they don't just sticky this info lock the thread, and be done with it.

Javascript code wrote:
    javascript:(function(){var l=document.getElementsByTagName('a');for (var x=l.length-1;x--Wink{if (l[x].innerHTML.indexOf('Loadsgood')!=-1) {var k=l[x].parentNode.parentNode.parentNode;k.style.display='none'; k=k.nextSibling;k.style.display='none';k=k.parentNode;k=k.nextSibling;k.style.display='none';k=k.nextSibling;k.style.display='none';}}})();

Obviously replacing Loadsgood with the user you don't like. Also obviously copying that text putting it into the Address Bar and pressing enter. The only down side to this is that you have to do it each time you visit a thread page. I recommend making a new link in your Links bar, putting the jscript code in it, and clicking it each time you load a thread page.

About everyone being Mike Dimmick (or at least like him), I think that's a nice idea but it will never happen. We are in reality here, not some fantasy land or piece of paradise. There are bound to be evil people out there and they'll want in eventually, so you just have to live with that.

Haha It isn't really about Mike Dimmick but the way he posts and the information he contains in those posts,
    Loadsgood.

• User profile image
    eagle

The best posters share information, too many just make noise.

• User profile image
    Mike Dimmick

Wow, thanks. Embarassed

How? Some of it is my own knowledge. Some of it I'm speculating based on what I do know and I apologise if I make that speculation sound like fact. Some of it I pick up from various books - paraphrased, usually, unless I make a direct attributed quote. I subscribe to a fair number of blogs and follow a lot of links, so I consume a lot of information in a week.

And yes, sometimes I use a search engine. I may seem encyclopaedic at times but, actually, it's just that I normally have a good memory for where I've seen something, so I can target searches - whether offline in books or online - quite well.

I'm fairly merciless with filtering myself - I'll normally re-read a post and edit before making it, trying to ensure I'm accurate. Sometimes I write more and edit down, other times I admit it's something of a stream-of-consciousness and lose track of the point I was trying to make. I need to summarise more.

Some of the drafts can be quite rude but those tend to be the ones I discard completely.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Mike Dimmick wrote:
    And yes, sometimes I use a search engine. I may seem encyclopaedic at times but, actually, it's just that I normally have a good memory for where I've seen something, so I can target searches - whether offline in books or online - quite well.

I'm exactly the same. Most of the time it's not that I know stuff, I just know where to find it. Smiley

• User profile image
    ddewbofh

I like to think of it this way, the "old" days where knowledge was just what you remembered looks like they soon might be over.

Today it's more like how good you are at finding stuff out. With access to google I "know" pretty much everything. Hopefully this trend will continue as we move towards a real IT-society and maybe sometime in the future we will value creativity and cognitive(?) abilities higher than just barfing encyclopedias.

My 2 cents

PS I _will_ setup a proper avatar "soon" Smiley

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.