Coffeehouse Thread

8 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Font Size

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    ScanIAm

I like using a really high screen resolution on a 21 inch monitor.  I don't know if this is an issue with CSS or if site developers just don't care, I can't seem to affect the text size by using 'View|Text Size'. 

All but C9.  C9 would allow me to do it, so it was easy to read.

But alas, it seems that this upgrade has somehow changed this so that I can no longer set the text size.  Is there something I'm missing?

• User profile image
    Michael Griffiths

The font size is in "px", which apparently IE doesn't like.

Apparently, it should work in Firefox. Might want to try using that.

• User profile image
    jamie

Ive just been posting everything manually 2 point - so at least my c9 blog will look correct ( hey blogs have big readable text.. why the ms.com smallness?)

* Edit:  oh ya; young cool programmers with good eye site ...for now Wink

• User profile image
    blowdart

Michael Griffiths wrote:
    The font size is in "px", which apparently IE doesn't like.

Apparently, it should work in Firefox. Might want to try using that.

Doesn't like isn't exactly true. px is an absolute size.

If you're worried about supporting font size changing (and you should be) use relative sizes and heights and widths in ems (which is a slow painful process to fine tune)

• User profile image
    W3bbo

blowdart wrote:
    Doesn't like isn't exactly true. px is an absolute size.

If you're worried about supporting font size changing (and you should be) use relative sizes and heights and widths in ems (which is a slow painful process to fine tune)

Uh... All CSS units are "relative", "px" is relative to a single pixel on the display screen, but there is a way to convert "px" to the appropriate unit for that medium.

Just because "px" is 1:1 with the screen's pixels... it just states the type's "initial size" on the page. Nowhere in any of the specs does it say that users shouldn't be able to resize fonts.

• User profile image
    blowdart

W3bbo wrote:
    blowdart wrote:Doesn't like isn't exactly true. px is an absolute size.

Uh... All CSS units are "relative", "px" is relative to a single pixel on the display screen, but there is a way to convert "px" to the appropriate unit for that medium.

Just because "px" is 1:1 with the screen's pixels... it just states the type's "initial size" on the page. Nowhere in any of the specs does it say that users shouldn't be able to resize fonts.

Freaking firefox clearing the reply. Lets try again.

OK, but up to a point. Install large fonts, like I have on my work laptop. Watch px become completly out of sync with pt. Watch your widths and heights, so carefully worked out go completley wrong. For a laugh, visit windowsupdate.com

I've found that using em for widths and heights seems to be the only sure way to cope with weird base font sizes and increasing the font size within the browser.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Guys, for those that want resizable and larger fonts, check this out.

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

W3bbo wrote:
    Guys, for those that want resizable and larger fonts, check this out.

I still cringe when I think of CSS, but W3bbo, you've saved my eyesight. 

Also, it turns out that I can force the fonts to be in my specified size from the same menu listed in your link, but I'm now wondering if this means I'm an old fart for even needing larger fonts...

Yet again, this site learns me mo' than I could ever kno'

Thanks!

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.