Coffeehouse Thread

10 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Questions about coverage of the PDC

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    IRenderable

Will there be recording of the PDC talks like there was of the GNOME conference talks? Im to poor/young to go there but I wan't to get as much info as I can from it.

• User profile image
    Chadk

I would love that! Yesterday when i talked to Jeff, i gave him the idea, that he placed a cam on his head, and broadcasts live to all niners. But he never answered me :O:P:| (OMG i love this smileys)

• User profile image
    irascian

Channel 9 have already indicated that they will be there doing lots of video and attendees have been told that they will get a post-conference DVD of ALL sessions (I guess they just need to take 2 months off work to watch them all Wink ) so clearly they are video recording pretty much everything

Personally I'd be surprised if they put all of of the videos up for viewing.

There has already been talk (here and on the blogs) of how expensive PDC can be given that most of the content is usually available "for free" on the web within days (if not hours) of it being delivered live.

There has to be SOME differentiation for those who've paid the big bucks to attend in person vs those who "attend" for free over the web, other than "the ability to network" (actually rather difficult with 6000 people present, no matter how organised you are).

I thought it was interesting that one of the questions on the survey for attendees this year was about what made the difference between attending an event like this in person vs just "attending" via webcast, so obviously the organisers are aware of some of the recent debate that has gone on.

• User profile image
    z33driver

Yes but it will cost $500 for the dvd set.  Thats a lot of dough, but if it includes every session maybe the price is more understandable.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/events/pdc/registration/default.aspx

"After the event, you can order a DVD set of sessions for $499 USD. Check back here for details on how to order. "

• User profile image
    irascian

z33driver wrote:

"After the event, you can order a DVD set of sessions for $499 USD. Check back here for details on how to order. "

Yikes! I'm pretty sure that information wasn't in the original announcement.

Personally I can't see many takers (especially since most are there because their companies have paid for them to attend and won't want to shell out even more for an event they feel they've already paid for) but I guess ultimately it depends on how unique the sessions are and how much time people have to wade through all the material. Personally I struggle to find the time to sit through all the free webcasts that look to be of interest, so finding money for hours of stuff I don't have time to watch isn't high on the agenda. It's probably not a bad price given how many of the sessions are on "in parallel" if the quality of what is given is better than the average webcast, but I can't see it being a big seller.

I guess that pricing rules out putting most of the material online too.

• User profile image
    eddwo

If you put that in context.

"While event registration has closed, you can still be part of the excitement:

• During the event, check back here for the latest news and updates from the conference.
    • After the event, you can order a DVD set of sessions for $499 USD. Check back here for details on how to order. "

It sounds more like the DVD is that price for those who are not registered to attend the event.

Given this:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/pdc/archive/2005/06/27/433096.aspx

It sounds like registered attendees will get the DVDs for free.

• User profile image
    irascian

eddwo wrote:

It sounds more like the DVD is that price for those who are not registered to attend the event.

Given this:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/pdc/archive/2005/06/27/433096.aspx

It sounds like registered attendees will get the DVDs for free.

You're right, and I guess that makes a lot more sense.

• User profile image
    scobleizer

Beer, it's not nice to advocate theft of copyrighted materials here.

• User profile image
    blowdart

Beer28 wrote:

You assume too much Robert.

This from someone who assumed it would be not copyrighted? Perplexed

• User profile image
    blowdart

Beer28 wrote:

$500 for speeches recorded with handicams of an expo?
    Oh well.

Handicam? Oh look *another* assumption.

Heck even the presentation rooms at the UK offices have serious cam setups in to record people.

So, can you back up your assumption it's going to be a handicam?

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.