Coffeehouse Thread

52 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

What an old programer is doing here...

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Tonatiúh

Well, this is a question I have done to my self, after I have viewed a couple of the Channel 9 videos... The first thing I become aware was about the youth of the people talking about stuff, which in my own youth, where reserved to the "big gurus" at the cooled Data Processing Centers for mainframes... Great changes have happened in much less than half a century; and I am here... Sharing and enjoying every new programing feature I found in places as fine & fun, as this one is...

Sure, that is what me, that old programer is doing here: getting a lot of joy & fun with those little things as for the both-sides text justification (the old fashion) of a writen idea... such helps me to think and makes my heart run better...

Tank you Channel 9 team.

• User profile image
    jamie

what a nice post.
    welcome tonatiuh !

• User profile image
    eagle

There are no old programmers; active programmers need to be constantly learning, computing is a process and experience helps when you encounter the next new thing.

• User profile image
    Rossj

It's a pity that some companies discriminate against older programmers.  The amount that they can teach the younger members of staff far outweigh any perceived issues with hiring them (I've never seen a valid justification for not doing so).

• User profile image
    W3bbo

<Obligatory>

"Old programmers never die, they just don't C as good"

"Old programmers never die, they just lose their memory"

"Old programmers never die, they just get bugged with life"

"Old programmers never die, they just byte it"

"Old programmers never die, they just decompile"

...okay, I'll stop.

• User profile image
    Tonatiúh

Hey!... Every one of you there, certainly are the seeds and flowers of that sheer --fortunately-- growing generation of programers... Who have graciously and gently taken, for nothing more than the shake of bring it charily into rebirth, the decaying fire from our old coding hands, in this great olympic game the programming is...

Today... You are given the name of Developers... Those shy and rogue genius who have dreamed to rule the Universe from their closed-hyper-cooled-clean-air sancta sanctorums: The Mainframes DP Centers, are sunk into the dark days of the history... I feel utterly happy of been here, at this turning age, and of seeing with my own eyes how and to where things are changing...

And althought most enterprises deprecate old coding hands, there is, at least as far as I know, one big enterprise who have made of the concern-about-people: his mission and of the bring-all-together: his tour de force.

You all here are not only developing smart applications and reliable Web resources; but best of that, you are DEVELOPING A NEW SMART AND RELIABLE WAY OF BEEN A HUMAN BEING... Wear that name proudly, you all have largerly deserved it!

• User profile image
    Loadsgood

Am I the only person who can't understand wtf this guy is saying? Sorry Tonatiúh (cool name by the way) but I just don't know what you're trying to say. Oh and don't forget we aren't all developers, I myself am a tester and I need lovin' too [A] Developers get the easy route because there are so many tutorials online but you don't see many for testing Sad Although I used to code Python until I was convinced of coding C# but I got bored of it and went back to being a tester... Now I've downloaded and installed the latest Python version and I might start coding it again.

Welcome to C9, we won't discriminate againest you Cool

Hope you have a nice stay,
    Loadsgood.

• User profile image
    JChung2006

You know, I swear Tonatiúh is channeling James Joyce in his posts...

Just kidding.  Welcome aboard, old programmer!

• User profile image
    blowdart

Tonatiúh wrote:

The writing English efforts Leighsword is doing here have fired that cherised method of mine: The Intuitive & Conceptual Foreign Language Reading Self Learning Method (ICFLRSLM)... Very long acronym!... Certainly a whole mess...Ups!

You know I had you pegged as Irish from your username, quite strange Smiley

• User profile image
    Tonatiúh

I get blushy Chung... James Joyce... Uh!... Him is one of the gretest writers I have meet... Obviously throught his books... I am not as old to have ever seen him in person, althougth it has been a great experience...

• User profile image
    eagle

"But when the restraining influence of the school was at a distance I began to hunger again for wild sensations, for the escape which those chronicles of disorder alone seemed to offer me. The mimic warfare of the evening became at last as wearisome to me as the routine of school in the morning because I wanted real adventures to happen to myself. But real adventures, I reflected, do not happen to people who remain at home: they must be sought abroad." (from Dubliners)

That's why the 9guy goes to Mexico.

• User profile image
    blowdart

Tonatiúh wrote:
    Where are you from man?

Northern Ireland. It was just the ordering of letters and the accent that looked quite strangely gaelic. Which we weren't taught at school due to the massive political overtones[6]

• User profile image
    Tonatiúh

Loadsgood...

I am web developer, programer, graphics designer, debugger and tester... All in one... more than 30 years been a single independent self-employed guy....

Well, I forgot it... I draw and paint (by hand), write novel, essay and poetry, make industrial design and teach visual arts to people from 5 to 80 years old... I am not bored yet.

• User profile image
    Tonatiúh

blowdart wrote:
    Tonatiúh wrote: Where are you from man?

Northern Ireland. It was just the ordering of letters and the accent that looked quite strangely gaelic. Which we weren't taught at school due to the massive political overtones

I love Enya... And Stonehenge... Celtic have joint their shoulders with Iberos to found the roots of Spain...

• User profile image
    blowdart

Tonatiúh wrote:

I love Enya... And Stonehenge... Celtic have joint their shoulders with Iberos to found the roots of Spain...

Ah but Stonehenge is very very English now. Now Newgrange on the other hand. You don't see many stones on top of stones in Ireland in the style of Stonehenge, dolmans tend to stand alone and are tombs, not places of worship.

• User profile image
    Tonatiúh

blowdart wrote:
    Tonatiúh wrote:

Ah but Stonehenge is very very English now. Now Newgrange on the other hand. You don't see many stones on top of stones in Ireland in the style of Stonehenge, dolmans tend to stand alone and are tombs, not places of worship.

There is one theory, based on the Plato Dialogs, about Atlantis spreading over the whole area Ireland, England, and Denmark ocupies nowadays... That must have been a lot of centuries a go... Many more than 20 centuries.

• User profile image
    Loadsgood

Tonatiúh wrote:
    Loadsgood...

I am web developer, programer, graphics designer, debugger and tester... All in one... more than 30 years been a single independent self-employed guy....

Well, I forgot it... I draw and paint (by hand), write novel, essay and poetry, make industrial design and teach visual arts to people from 5 to 80 years old... I am not bored yet.

Wow, go you Big Smile Any tips you can give me for testing apps/web stuff? Smiley Although I find it hard to pass on knowledge on testing apps...

Wow, you practically know everything Cool Glad to see another person with much knowledge at C9.

The more the better,
    Loadsgood.

• User profile image
    Tonatiúh

Loadsgood wrote:
    Tonatiúh wrote: Loadsgood...

Wow, go you Any tips you can give me for testing apps/web stuff? Although I find it hard to pass on knowledge on testing apps...

Wow, you practically know everything Glad to see another person with much knowledge at C9.

The more the better,
    Loadsgood.

My best advice: As William Edward Deming, the Total Quality guru, have told: "The closest you perform to your client requirements, the better"... And by the way; [just fixing a bug in my head, spoted out by your postings "tester amongst gods"... Tank you for been here]

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.