Coffeehouse Thread

26 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

New MSDN Subscriptions site

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    irascian

    Anybody else finding the new redesigned site for MSDN downloads unusable?

    Whenever I click on the personalised Subscriber Downloads page I time out.

    Rather ironic given that the whole reason given for the extremely confusing redesign was to make things faster!

  • User profile image
    Mike Dimmick

    irascian wrote:
    Anybody else finding the new redesigned site for MSDN downloads unusable?

    Whenever I click on the personalised Subscriber Downloads page I time out.

    Rather ironic given that the whole reason given for the extremely confusing redesign was to make things faster!


    I can't get in right now, apparently some error occurred. This could be because I was signed in here through Passport and use a different Passport to access Subscriber Downloads. I use my home email account here and my work account as the address for the Subscriber Downloads Passport.

    It's all very well having a single identity you can use on multiple sites, but sometimes you want to use a different identity on two different sites even if they share the same identity federation system.

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    irascian wrote:
    Anybody else finding the new redesigned site for MSDN downloads unusable?

    Whenever I click on the personalised Subscriber Downloads page I time out.

    Rather ironic given that the whole reason given for the extremely confusing redesign was to make things faster!


    Heh.

    Speaking of MSDN Subscriptions, where did you say I could subscribe to the MSDN Magazine?

  • User profile image
    DArenTx

    The MSDN site appears to be completely broken for me.  I can log in but any attempt to get to the Subscriber Downloads or Product Keys page doesn't work.

    It thinks about it for a very long time and eventually times out.

    Anyone in charge of MSDN listening?  Can you roll back to the old design?  It was slow and clunky but it at least worked.

    It is very frustrating because I am sitting at the enter Product Key page on a fresh install of Win XP Pro SP2 and I am stuck until I can get back into MSDN.

  • User profile image
    irascian

    W3bbo wrote:
    irascian wrote: Anybody else finding the new redesigned site for MSDN downloads unusable?

    Whenever I click on the personalised Subscriber Downloads page I time out.

    Rather ironic given that the whole reason given for the extremely confusing redesign was to make things faster!


    Heh.

    Speaking of MSDN Subscriptions, where did you say I could subscribe to the MSDN Magazine?


    You can subscribe direct to the US through this link here

    Alternatively if you prefer to pay with UK pounds a UK company have a deal with the magazine to offer subscriptions in the UK. They have information here: here

    I had an overlapping sub with both for a few months and the USA sub always arrived earlier than the UK one and at the time was cheaper so I tend to subscribe through the USA.

  • User profile image
    DCMonkey

    irascian wrote:
    Anybody else finding the new redesigned site for MSDN downloads unusable?


    (Raises hand)


    Am I missing something or is the subscriber download page (which isn't working for me either) now buried several links deep from the "Downloads" link on the header of the MSDN page?

  • User profile image
    irascian

    DCMonkey wrote:
    irascian wrote: Anybody else finding the new redesigned site for MSDN downloads unusable?


    (Raises hand)


    Am I missing something or is the subscriber download page (which isn't working for me either) now buried several links deep from the "Downloads" link on the header of the MSDN page?


    I had real problems finding it and it certainly wasn't intuitive. I do remember reading some guff about how it was still the same number of clicks away as it always had been and thinking "Yeah! Right!" Wink

    Hopefully it's just teething problems and when someone's back on Monday (or Tuesday in Europe as it's a bank holiday here) and MSDN Subs are dealing with the irate calls from those who can't access downloads it'll get sorted.

  • User profile image
    Stuart Celarier

    DArenTx wrote:

    Anyone in charge of MSDN listening? 


    Why would they be listening to The Coffeehouse forum on Channel 9? Try the MSDN newsgroup, that's bound to be a bit more productive.

  • User profile image
    irascian

    Indeed. Lots of folks posting on there about the fact that the site has been broken since Friday. Apparently it's been working for a couple of hours at some point but at around 11am GMT Sunday it's still not working here.

    Very annoying, particularly given that apparently the August CTP of VS2005 that has been available to those testing the beta version of Microsoft's "Bit Torrent" software for a couple of weeks now, has now FINALLY been loaded to MSDN Subscriber downloads. Bank Holiday weekend would have been a great time to download and have a play with it.

  • User profile image
    JChung2006

    Dodgy Internet uptime + paying for beta software + AOL-style CD/DVD coasters every month when they upgrade their disc content = my unrenewed MSDN subscription.

  • User profile image
    blowdart

    irascian wrote:

    Very annoying, particularly given that apparently the August CTP of VS2005 that has been available to those testing the beta version of Microsoft's "Bit Torrent" software for a couple of weeks now, has now FINALLY been loaded to MSDN Subscriber downloads. Bank Holiday weekend would have been a great time to download and have a play with it.


    Is there a matching SQL CTP, or am I stuck *again*?

  • User profile image
    irascian

    blowdart wrote:

    Is there a matching SQL CTP, or am I stuck *again*?


    I don't believe so, but don't quote me on that as I don't have the full chapter and verse.

    I must say I'm finding the whole "find a SQL Server CTP build that works with the latest CTPs of VS2005" is proving a right pain in the backside.

    Unless I've missed something your choices seem to be "stick with February's Beta 2 release of VS2005 if you want full SQL Server or make do with SQL Server Express and its complete lack of decent client tools if you want a later CTP of VS2005".

    This is somewhat less than satisfactory given how many bug fixes there have been to VS2005 since Februrary. Although my client (not using SQL Server 2005) is running the latest CTPS I'm making do with the Beta 2 because I haven't found a way to install the replacement for SQL Ent Manager with SQL Express.

  • User profile image
    blowdart

    irascian wrote:

    This is somewhat less than satisfactory


    Tell me about it, we're stuck with the version of VS that stops responding to key strokes when you unpin windows.

  • User profile image
    deadmonkey

    What annoys me is that just because I am a Universal subscriber means I can't download the Professional version of Visual Studio .NET 2003.

    I got Universal for the Office applications, all I need from VS is the professional version. I used to be able to download but now I can't which totally sucks. MSDN is now even more limiting than before!

    Also there is still not volume license downloads even though I recieve the bloody DVDs in the mail! Come on Microsoft sort it out!

  • User profile image
    borosen

    Hey, it is working!!

    And regarding SQL-server; no there is no matching CTP.

  • User profile image
    blowdart

    borosen wrote:
    Hey, it is working!!

    And regarding SQL-server; no there is no matching CTP.


    Joy. I'm getting really really sick of this now.

  • User profile image
    irascian

    borosen wrote:
    Hey, it is working!!



    Not for Europeans it isn't!

  • User profile image
    borosen

    irascian wrote:
    borosen wrote: Hey, it is working!!



    Not for Europeans it isn't!


    Sorry to hear it does not work for you.

    But I am sitting not far from Göteborg on the west coast of Sweden and are currently downloading at a speed of 480+ kB.

    I know we have not joined the EMU, but I still consider my self European.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.