Coffeehouse Thread

18 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Differences between OEM and Retail discs

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    ddewbofh

Would it be possible, both legally and morally, to install XP using my OEM key from any cd downloaded off the net?

I accidently threw the CD away when I was cleaning up the other day and now I need to reinstall XP. I have the cd-key on a sticker on the computer but I don't have the disc.

Cheers

• User profile image
    W3bbo

You couldn't anyway, Retail discs don't accept OEM CD Keys.

• User profile image
    ddewbofh

Any suggestions on what to do then? Purchasing yet another license seems rather pointless as I already have one.

Is the company from which I bought it supposed to give me a new disc if the old one fails for some reason or something?

• User profile image
    W3bbo

ddewbofh wrote:
    Is the company from which I bought it supposed to give me a new disc if the old one fails for some reason or something?

Yep. Although they reserve the right to charge you a fee.

I just hope you didn't buy off "Time" or "Tiny", they charge £30 for the "recovery" CD.... which just restores an image of the computer from a hidden partition on the HDD, rather than actually re-installing the OS.

• User profile image
    NeoTOM

ddewbofh wrote:
    Any suggestions on what to do then? Purchasing yet another license seems rather pointless as I already have one.

www.newegg.com

• User profile image
    ddewbofh

What about them? I have a better dealer I've purchasing my computer gear from for about 10 years. Better prices, local and friendly. Got it all. Smiley

• User profile image
    W3bbo

ddewbofh wrote:
    What about them? I have a better dealer I've purchasing my computer gear from for about 10 years. Better prices, local and friendly. Got it all.

My local computer shop is about 20% more expensive than eBuyer or OcUK

• User profile image
    ddewbofh

A relative of mine who is the CEO and founder of a relativly major company who purchase their equipment there introduced me to them. After that I've used them exclusivly (except for my macs) and I get a pretty good discount. Usually 15% and no VAT.

Usually ends up at a 30-40% discount. I doubt newegg or any other retailer would do that for me, not to mention the cost of getting the stuff here.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

ddewbofh wrote:
    A relative of mine who is the CEO and founder of a relativly major company who purchase their equipment there introduced me to them. After that I've used them exclusivly (except for my macs) and I get a pretty good discount. Usually 15% and no VAT.

Usually ends up at a 30-40% discount. I doubt newegg or any other retailer would do that for me, not to mention the cost of getting the stuff here.

Say... do they have a "friend of a friend" referrals system? Big Smile

• User profile image
    ddewbofh

Hehe, it depends. If you wanna go to sweden to pick up computer gear be my guest. Doubt you'd actually save anything though, travel expenses and all. Smiley

• User profile image
    mrservices

Hello, you can freely download OpenBSD at www.openbsd.org.

No need for a license and it is updated every 6 months. Latest release 3.7 and I am running 3.8-beta successfully on DEC Alpha, Sun Sparc64, SGI O2, and many i386 PC's and laptops.

Easy to use and fun too! Also the most secure default installation os on the planet.

Best regards,

Roger

• User profile image
    W3bbo

mrservices wrote:
    Hello, you can freely download OpenBSD at www.openbsd.org.

No need for a license and it is updated every 6 months. Latest release 3.7 and I am running 3.8-beta successfully on DEC Alpha, Sun Sparc64, SGI O2, and many i386 PC's and laptops.

Uh, Roger, he's talking about Windows.

• User profile image
    ddewbofh

I just thought I'd mention that OpenBSD 3.8 does _not_ not work on alpha, both my PWS500au and another alpha box I had around refused to run it.

• User profile image
    mrservices

ddewbofh wrote:
    I just thought I'd mention that OpenBSD 3.8 does _not_ not work on alpha, both my PWS500au and another alpha box I had around refused to run it.

Hello, I have the alpha snapshot running on an Alpha 500au pws, make sure it is not an Arc Bios Alpha. As the OpenBSD uses OpenVMS to boot from.

I know this is a Windows forum but there are other operating systems to use also. Hetrogeneous. : )

Best regards,

Roger

• User profile image
    ddewbofh

I refuse to use ARCbios, that's for NT (which I don't have).

By not work I don't mean that it doesn't boot, it just refuses to display anything or access any drives besides the ide cdrom.

Anyways, appearantly you can't mention any other free oses than linux so...

Thanks for the tip though, it's been explored and didn't catch my interest. Smiley

• User profile image
    mrservices

ddewbofh wrote:
    I refuse to use ARCbios, that's for NT (which I don't have).

By not work I don't mean that it doesn't boot, it just refuses to display anything or access any drives besides the ide cdrom.

Anyways, appearantly you can't mention any other free oses than linux so...

Thanks for the tip though, it's been explored and didn't catch my interest.

Obviously you know what you are doing. Smiley

Check out this link about some exciting things that are developing with the newest upcoming release of OpenBSD 3.8.

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=openbsd-misc&m=112475373731469&w=2

Best regards,

Roger

• User profile image
    Mike Dimmick

W3bbo wrote:
    I just hope you didn't buy off "Time" or "Tiny", they charge £30 for the "recovery" CD.... which just restores an image of the computer from a hidden partition on the HDD, rather than actually re-installing the OS.

It's probably harder than that now, they went into administration last month.

• User profile image
    ddewbofh

Problem solved, I made an unattended install disc and by changing a few entries in the config-file it made an OEM disc. That should keep me going until my new disc arrives.

Hope this is atleast semi-legal. Smiley

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.