Coffeehouse Thread

32 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

To make the pro-linux adocates happy

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    rjdohnert

Charles, why dont you just put up a "Linux Coffeehouse" section on C9 so that these guys can get whatever it is off their chest.  They can post thir pro-linux coments on a Microsoft webpage.

• User profile image
    Manip

Why not let people "tag" their posts so we can easily filter the coffeehouse by tag? You guys are into all  this crazy tagging stuff right? So why not?

• User profile image
    ddewbofh

I second that, it's starting to really affect the signal-to-noise ratio.

Not that linux is something bad, I even use it on a few systems, but I think this is the wrong place for linux zaelots to spread their propaganda. Channel9 is about doing cool stuff with ms products, gadgets using ms software and so on. Not a competition over which OS is the best.

Is there a Channel9 equivalent for linux, like with the videos and a good forum? Closest thing I've seen is linuxquestions and I'd be glad to be pointed to a good place where cool linux-software and gadgets are discussed.

• User profile image
    Detroit Muscle

If the Linux fanboys get a Linux forum, I'm going to demand an OSEK forum. All to myself.

• User profile image
    ddewbofh

Would you rather have them polluting the coffeehouse with their linux-rants?

• User profile image
    ddewbofh

Doesn't really fit the bill, I asked for channel9-like. A forum is a good start, but I also want videos with linux-devs explaining and demoing their apps.

Some gadgetry wouldn't be bad too.

• User profile image
    ddewbofh

I just think it'd be cool to have something regular going on featuring linux. Doing a simple videocast isn't very hard nor expensive. You can pick up a good DV-camera for almost no money at all nowadays.

Just think, you could do stuff about playing around in E17 or ipl or something like that. Wonder why noone's done it, there are tons of hack (proper hack, not crack) or whitehat oriented videocasts out there.

Just my 2 cents

• User profile image
    ddewbofh

I suggest you check out systm or hak.5. Both those are on a low budget and filmed with a standard dv-cam. Great inspiration, I wouldn't mind doing something like that myself actually. Smiley

*ponders doing a videocast*

• User profile image
    NeoTOM

ddewbofh wrote:

Is there a Channel9 equivalent for linux, like with the videos and a good forum?

/.?

• User profile image
    ddewbofh

/.? It's pretty much a link-farm on steroids. Digg does a much better job at it.

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

I was actually saying that the C9 staff should put up a forum specifically for Linux users. 

• User profile image
    IRenderable

NeoTOM wrote:
    ddewbofh wrote:
    Is there a Channel9 equivalent for linux, like with the videos and a good forum?

/.?

What if we want a place that is for pro-linux people, not anti-ms people. Thats what ./ is.

EDIT: I don't think that Channel9 should have a Linux forum, this is a Microsoft board and not a Linux board. It would be weird, and thats not what this board is about. This board is about microsoft technologies NOT Linux and open source tech. Stick to what its about and good at.

• User profile image
    JChung2006

I vote no for a Linux C9 section unless it is related to Microsoft in some specific way, e.g., Bill Hilf, Windows-Linux interoperability, etc.  There are plenty of other places to go for Linux information on the Web.

• User profile image
    NeoTOM

Why not just make a troll general forum. "Linux user forum" could just be the subtitle.

• User profile image
    scobleizer

Beer28 wrote:
    I have a dv cam, a pretty good canon, but it would take more than just that. You'd have to get interviewee's to come to a studio at their own expense. That would be the only way to do it, barring huge expenditures.

Why does it take more than that? I don't use a studio. You can make very effective videos with the equipment you have. In fact, I wish more Channel 9'ers would do video blogs and put up stuff that we could point to.

• User profile image
    scobleizer

Beer28 wrote:
    I'd love to see you casually stroll into big blue with your little cam and not get tackled by security. There are even places in microsoft that you could not tape, just like when you went to Ballmer's office

In the past two weeks I've filmed inside Amazon and Google's offices and they were pretty nice to me and let me film (within constraints). I'm not sure what'd happen if I went inside IBM. Wink

But, why is that stopping you? If you have relationships with people you can easily do what I'm doing. You don't need to go on premises.

Here is an example. Here's a conversation I had with the guy who runs the Blog Business Summit, and the CEO of ActiveWords. We recorded that on my back deck after having some BBQ. http://radio.weblogs.com/0001011/2005/08/11.html

Tomorrow my wife is holding another BBQ. I hear one of the main guys who developed Google Talk will be there. I'll try to do something there.

• User profile image
    ddewbofh

Ok, now I think you're just making up excuses.

As I said before, it doesn't have to be the big names in linux discussing general items such as policies and so on. It could be a small operation, just a few guys, doing random things with and for linux.

One project I'm pretty involved in is Project: Looking Glass 3D (no, I'm not on Suns payroll) which could make an awesome show. Grab a few guys, have Hideya or Paul join you in a on-line chat session with skype or something. There are tons of apps you can use for capturing the screens to videos, mix that with some discussion on how you would like to see it progress, maybe demo a few of the apps and end it with a short Q&A session.

There you go, a simple "script" for a pilot. I'd love to see something like that. Think of it as a linuxversion of the .NET-show or the Windows Mobile 2005 video (personal favourite, good job guys).

• User profile image
    Karim

NeoTOM wrote:
    Why not just make a troll general forum. "Linux user forum" could just be the subtitle.

Ooooh... nice idea!  So you mean like a honeypot for crazy people?  "Click here to send your anti-Microsoft rants directly to Bill Gates!"

copy rant.txt nul:

You could even have chat sessions where a bot named "BillG" would come online and pretend to answer questions from the /. crowd.  Random responses from the BillG bot could include:

"Yes I see your point."
    "Interesting idea, I'll have someone look into it."
    "I guess we'll just have agree to disagree on that one."
    "The testing that we've done suggests differently."
    "We looked into that but didn't consider it to be economically feasible."

etc.

You could call this forum for crazy people "Channel 9" -- oh wait, that's already taken.  "Channel 10?"

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.