Coffeehouse Thread

23 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Is "Stencil" a standard font?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    W3bbo

'lo

I'm just doing something for a friend, and I'm just wanting to know if "Stencil" is a standard font on Windows XP machines.

If you have Stencil installed, then this text will look different.

• User profile image
    Manip

On XP Pro SP2 it is NOT a standard font.

• User profile image
    blowdart

It comes with Office.

• User profile image
    intelman

I have office, and I dont see stencil.

• User profile image
    Harlequin

You can use CSS to embed fonts, bit it doesn't seem to work 100%.

• User profile image
    NeoTOM

I have a different, better version of Stencil. The IMSI Masterfonts version with different capital and lowercase letters. And better extended character support. If someone could hook me up with a font editor I could remove the branding on the "Not" symbol and make it complete.

• User profile image
    Mike Dimmick

If you want to know where a font came from, this page at MS Typography should help you out.

• User profile image
    jamie

showed up for me Wink but there is no reason an old font like this shouldnt be viewable in all windows machines.  i guess WEFT will never cut it..  too bad

* hey - can Vista include 100 "old" fonts? as well as the cool new ones youve invented?

take everything you can fontwise - thats inexpensive and pull a mini coreldraw in the adobe era  ( 500 fonts free)

if these were in vista - man.. ttf heaven for the web!

why not?  they are old...
    clean room them like corel did ...
    or better yet... just by COREL haha [y]

• User profile image
    jamie

ps - i know why that wont happen: because if your going to go after adobe - you want to get their business / document market - hense metro  ( biz biz biz sales guys sales guys... what about users?)

sigh..  yes there would be some gov scrutiny over a graphics buy - (like there may over metro eventually) but man oh man - you guys have to counter apple with all their creative software and corel (painter / draw / kais /photopaint / fonts / trace / rave... - sell off wordperfect or leave out of deal)

anyway - thats why it wont happen.. wish it would
    best windows graphics = corel (gui / usability wise)

• User profile image
    irascian

jamie wrote:

anyway - thats why it wont happen.. wish it would
    best windows graphics = corel (gui / usability wise)

I can't draw to save my life but loved Corel, up to about version 5. Version 6 was an expensive buggy mess that it took them a year to sort out. 

Corel was the reason I bought my first CD drive (version 2 - or was it version 3 ? - was one of the first pieces of software to ship with lots of clipart and fonts on a CD making a CD drive a necessary purchase). But after version 5 they just started gouging their user base with their upgrade policy.

New releases offered very little "New" (the basic software was solid in version 3 and just got slower and slower with each new release), the price of an upgrade became more and more expensive and yet you got less and less in the box.

When I upgraded to Corel 10 at significant cost to find less software, very few enhancements and found they'd even stopped shipping the clipart book I used to use to reference what was available I decided it was time to move on.

What version are they on now, and has anything improved? To be honest I'd assumed they'd "gone under". As my first "real" graphics program I have fond memories of it (at least in the early days) but with Adobe bundles these days purchasing it makes no real sense.

As for Adobe - they've really screwed up with Adobe 7 Reader in my view - so slow it's completely unusable, even on a "fast" PC.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Yeah, I've noticed DCC software has really gone downhill of late.

I'd say:

The best Photoshop was Photoshop 7.0.1
    The best Dreamweaver was MX 2002
    The best Illustrator was Illustrator 10
    The best Office was Office 2002 (except for Outlook)
    The best Acrobat was Version 5

Already, Visual Studio 2005 is beginning to remind me of Photoshop CS2 a bit, you can tell when software is going stagnant when the user-interface becomes more clunky.

• User profile image
    sbc

W3bbo wrote:
    'lo

I'm just doing something for a friend, and I'm just wanting to know if "Stencil" is a standard font on Windows XP machines.

Looks like Times New Roman to me. Not everyone has Word or Office installed (and even if they do, the likelihood is that it is a copy from a friend, or from work).

• User profile image
    TomasDeml

W3bbo wrote:
    'lo

Yep, I can see your Stencil...

• User profile image
    Harlequin

W3bbo wrote:
    Already, Visual Studio 2005 is beginning to remind me of Photoshop CS2 a bit, you can tell when software is going stagnant when the user-interface becomes more clunky.

I didn't recommend the upgrade from Adobe CS to CS2. Why?

Adobe NEVER patched CS. Over the course of a year I went to their site at least once a month... and no patch. Illustrator and PhotoShop CS both had bugs, yet no upgrades or anything. Not nice...

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Harlequin wrote:
    I didn't recommend the upgrade from Adobe CS to CS2. Why?

There aren't that many differences to the user interface of Photoshop CS2 on the Mac platform, but on Windows the UI looks worse.

Instead of having a single statusbar at the bottom of the window, now you have them on a per-document basis (like on the Mac), this doesn't work well with Windows.

Additionally, the Palletes have a slightly different interface and the tabs are less defined, this also behaves more clunky than the CS or Photoshop 7 interface. (But Photoshop 6's pallete interface was the best, IMO)

• User profile image
    NeoTOM

irascian wrote:
    As for Adobe - they've really screwed up with Adobe 7 Reader in my view - so slow it's completely unusable, even on a "fast" PC.

Ironic, as I and the rest of the world consider Adobe Reader 7 to be the first fast Adobe Reader. Did you disable the fast start stuff or something??

• User profile image
    irascian

NeoTOM wrote:

Ironic, as I and the rest of the world consider Adobe Reader 7 to be the first fast Adobe Reader. Did you disable the fast start stuff or something??

Are you sure you really mean "the rest of the world". I saw several warnings in blogs that Adobe Reader 7 was a step backwards in terms of performance before I downloaded it, but went ahead and foolishly let Adobe 6 apply the lastest updates when I bought Adobe Premium Suite CS2 and decided I'd have to install Adobe Professional 7.0 anyway (which I haven't been able to do because of the way their licensing system on that one component works, but that's a whole different story that has burnt up hours on Adobe's support line without getting anywhere).

Since then I've removed it from all my PCs and gone back to an earlier version - much faster.

• User profile image
    Michael Griffiths

I find the default install of Adobe Reader to be unbearably slow.

It's mainly because Adobe Reader has so many plug-ins (Help>About Adobe Plug Ins).

So I "fix" it by disabling most of the plug-ins using Adobe Speed Up.

It means Adobe Reader loads very fast Smiley

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.