Coffeehouse Thread

108 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Windows fanboys worse than Linux fanboys?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    marmelade

    I've been lurking here for a while, having found Slashdot's fanboy base to be rising in numbers.  The one thing I've noticed is that this forum is full of Windows fanboys which seem to be worse than the linux ones!

    If you fanboys don't start cutting out the "Microsoft is king and linux lovers are fags" crap, you'll end up like a really small circle-jerk version of Slashdot.  I'd like to find somewhere that I can read an honest discussion.


  • User profile image
    blowdart

    marmelade wrote:
    I've been lurking here for a while, having found Slashdot's fanboy base to be rising in numbers.  The one thing I've noticed is that this forum is full of Windows fanboys which seem to be worse than the linux ones!

    If you fanboys don't start cutting out the "Microsoft is king and linux lovers are fags" crap, you'll end up like a really small circle-jerk version of Slashdot.  I'd like to find somewhere that I can read an honest discussion.




    You come to a microsoft forum, hosted and ran by Microsoft and expect it to not have people picking holes in the linux arguements? If you want somewhere where both sides won't shout I'd suggest you don't go to a forum/"news" site run by a company intimately involved with either side.


  • User profile image
    Sven Groot

    marmelade wrote:
    "Microsoft is king and linux lovers are fags"

    I can't think of a single person here whom I believe honestly thinks that.

  • User profile image
    Steve411

    Sven Groot wrote:
    marmelade wrote: "Microsoft is king and linux lovers are fags"

    I can't think of a single person here whom I believe honestly thinks that.


    Not me. I'm actually cool with both OS's, they both show the willingness to succeed.

    - Steve

  • User profile image
    jmacdonagh

    I haven't looked at a thread where that kind of mentality was displayed. I, for one, think both Windows and Unix derived operating systems have their place. I would describe myself as a fanboy of Microsoft, but I've just started using OSX and I'm loving it.

  • User profile image
    Nata1

    well I'm guilty - once I was talking about how Linux fanboys and Mac fanboys like to talk trash about open source projects (like mine) that happen to run in .net.

    I called them wankers Smiley

    That was bad, I apologize.

  • User profile image
    IRenderable

    Im going to disagree. You never hear of Windows fanboys saying that Linux is the work of the DEVIL! And it is immoral or anything. I use open soure software and closed source software and I can see why someone would want to use open source and I can see why someone would use closed source software,same with windows and linux. People react to seriously about what OS is better and wether open source or closed source is better.

  • User profile image
    irascian

    marmelade wrote:
    I'd like to find somewhere that I can read an honest discussion.




    Well you could start by making an honest post.

    Where exactly have linux lovers been called fags?

    Looking back through the arguments (between seemingly two Linux fanboys, maybe a couple of Windows fanboys and then everybody else trying to keep the peace)  the only personal abuse I can see has come from the Linux advocates.

    If you're going to make insinuations please link to the specific posts from Windows fanboys that are "worse than Slashdot" and then maybe I'll point you to those here that have been made by Linux fanboys and which I am pretty confident will prove to be far worse.

  • User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

    jmacdonagh wrote:
    but I've just started using OSX and I'm loving it.


    I use Windows and Mac, and I've used Linux (Sadly left for ultimate compatibility reasons and bickering in their own ranks). I don't have an REAL problem with any OS (There are small things).

    Calling a particular type of user group "fags" or whatever is uncalled for. Your more than welcome to go back to hanging out and not posting if these are the kind of threads we can expect from you.

  • User profile image
    rjdohnert

    marmelade wrote:
    I've been lurking here for a while, having found Slashdot's fanboy base to be rising in numbers.  The one thing I've noticed is that this forum is full of Windows fanboys which seem to be worse than the linux ones!

    If you fanboys don't start cutting out the "Microsoft is king and linux lovers are fags" crap, you'll end up like a really small circle-jerk version of Slashdot.  I'd like to find somewhere that I can read an honest discussion.





    I advocate for people to use whats best for them.  If its Linux, fine, if its Mac, fine.  I live in a house full of Mac fans who have PowerBooks, who have a G5 and a G4 iMac.  Linux doesnt bother me in fact I probably use Linux and a UNIX machine on a daily basis.  My problem is when Linux fanboys come here on a Microsoft sponsored website, for developers and enthusiasts and dont offer any credible arguments or discussions except to trash and troll.  You think Microsoft sucks?  Great.  You think Visual Studios sucks? Great, although I have a dozen or so UNIX and Linux users who would disagree with you.  No one has said Microsoft is perfect, I have criticized Microsoft and at one point or another called them incompetent on Channel 9.  Its my choice what to use, to decide what technology path for my company to make.  I dont need linux advocates and zealots trying to second guess me and make it out like I dont know whats out there. 

            When we madee our move to Microsoft technologies it wasnt an easy choice, nor was it the most speedy transition and I got a lot of criticism or it but once the bugs were ironed out we have been rocking non-stop for the past 4 years.  I made the decision on a purely business level on what are the pro's? what are the cons?  me and a panel of 11 others decided, it was an unanimous decision.  Where it makes sense we use UNIX, where it makes sense we use Windows.   If you want add to the conversation that is fine, if you cant or dont want to because you think the platform blows then dont comment.  In fact I came up with the idea that we give Linux users a space here on C9.  if charles and the others dont want to then I suggest the Linux users go out and start Channel 10.  Every post we have where Linux gets involved, even if its a good topic we have a couple of Linux zealots who ruin it.  They wanna complain and witch because Mono wont be at PDC?  Its not Microsoft technology.  Go to LinuxWorld or Mac World where Windows and Microsoft take centestage.  It doesnt happen.  If Miguel wants to rent a conference room and discuss Mono, fine.  As long as it doesnt interfere with my PDC schedule I would attend. Im sure a lot of Microsoft employees and enthusiasts on the board would also.

  • User profile image
    NeoTOM

    Bottom line: no. Nothing is worse than Linux fanboys.

  • User profile image
    ddewbofh

    Even _if_ windows fanboys where as annoying as you claim they are, they have one advantage over any other fanboy, this is their home turf.

    I wouldn't consider myself a fanboy of any os, I use what helps me do the job I need it to do, it's a tool. Why is it so hard to let things slide? Some criticism should always be welcome but there are limits. In the long run os wars won't accomplish anything. I'm almost willing to bet money on that the kind behaviour I've seen here might even turn people away from actually giving linux a try.

    To end this rant I'd like to quote a song, "Why can't we be friends?" Smiley


  • User profile image
    Cider

    Marmalade,

    I certainly haven't seen what you are talking about.  If you are talking about the threads where the usual suspects turn the thread into Linux vs Windows, then its a simple problem.

    Its down to two things.  Firstly, this is not the natural arena for discussing Linux.  I'm sure most people here have used Linux or use Linux on a day-to-day or working basis.  However, due to the nature of this site it is not a natural topic to be brought up.  As such, when it is brought up, it is often shoe-horned into topic (the ole "orthogonal posting" issue).

    The second reason is that emotive posts often lead to emotive responses.  Exhibit A:

    Beer28 wrote:
    The thing is, most all linux users have used windows at some point, so they know what they're talking about.
    Most windows users on the other hand have no basis for their criticisms of unix like systems like linux or osx.

    It's alot easier to criticise something when you haven't even tried it.


    Now, remember what you originally said marmalade and look at the responses to date.  Beer28's post is the first to fit your "one OS is great, other is rubbish" and will only lead to emotive responses.

    This is what we see in thread after thread.  Do you not expect harsh language when there are posts like that, "I will burn you because you use MSDN", "no one chooses to use Windows" etc etc etc?

  • User profile image
    Sven Groot

    Beer28 wrote:
    I hate porsche and lamborghini too!!!! so hard to drive, grrrrr.... users are stupid zealots. I have stick shift in my toyota grrrrr....

    ... my impression of a corolla driving windows fanboy.

    The thing is, I have never (okay, rarely) seen an MS fan actually say that.

    In my experience, both on Channel9 and elsewhere, people who like Windows do just that; they like Windows. They may also have an opinion on other OSs like Linux, but it rarely has anything to do with the fact that they like Windows. I like Windows, and I like Linux too. Personally I prefer Windows; it suits my way of working better, pure and simple as that. If Linux is better for you, good for you.

    In my experience, here, on slashdot, the IE blog and elsewhere, people who like Linux or other F/OSS (like Firefox) don't just like Linux (etc.), but they also hate whatever the MS equivalent is.

    It is rare to see a Linux user that doesn't hate Windows. It is rare to see a Firefox user that doesn't hate IE. It is rare to see a g++ user that doesn't hate VC.

    I'm not saying all Linux users are like this, in fact I know quite a few that are very well balanced on the subject (silent majority and everything, you know how it goes). I'm also not saying all Windows users are like this, sure there are those who hate F/OSS with a vengeance.

    It just seems to me, that on average, based purely on observational evidence (so I'm not saying this is a scientific truth), that he claim that Windows fanboys are worse than Linux fanboys.

    And that's all I have to say about that.</forrestGump>

  • User profile image
    ddewbofh

    Ok, you make a good and valid point. However, 2 wrongs doesn't make a right. What I mean is that, if the linux users are the victims then why not be the bigger men and let "the others" do their thing. All energy spent on the net to criticise(sp?) windows and MS could instead be aimed towards improving linux.

    Here's a little car analogy, back in the 60s I think it was, ford wanted to buy ferrari to build a lemans racer but they where denied. A fanboy approach would be going to various carshows, ferrari events and just go mental, both by making true as well as ridicoulus accusations and letting everyone know, no matter if they're intrerested, that ferrari indeed makes the crappiest cars known to mankind and deserves to be shot.

    Did they do that? No, because they can take competition as well as a challenge. So they came up with the GT40 which still today is one of the best cars to ever run the LeMans 24-hour race.

    My take on it is that (many) linux users feel left out when they see features in other oses they want and instead of actually adding those features (which is possible thanks to GPL) they lash out.

    </semiRelevantRant>



  • User profile image
    Manip

    BSD engineers make BSD because they love BSD. Linux engineers make Linux because they hate Microsoft.

  • User profile image
    NeoTOM

    Beer28 wrote:
    I hate porsche and lamborghini too!!!! so hard to drive, grrrrr.... users are stupid zealots. I have stick shift in my toyota grrrrr....

    ... my impression of a corolla driving windows fanboy.


    Except it's more like Windows is a Ford Taurus and Linux is a modified dishwasher some Swedish guy made in his garage.

  • User profile image
    irascian

    Beer28 wrote:

    It's alot easier to criticise something when you haven't even tried it.



    And it's even easier to justify the moral high ground by pretending that using something means you're an expert in something and therefore more knowledgeable than the person who uses the OS you're trying to denigrate.

    Ian
    (currently typing on a PC running Windows XP next to a screen displaying the JewelCase add-in for iTunes running under Max OS.X but no, just because I boot up OS.X each day does NOT make me knowledgeable about it. What I would say is that Tiger as an upgrade to Panther is more like a Windows minor service pack than an upgrade but cost a HELL of a lot more than a Windows service pack Tongue Out).

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.