Coffeehouse Thread

14 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

C9's Hosting

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Manip

Channel 9 uses Orcsweb.com as their host. While looking at their pricing and servers it struct me just how EXPENSIVE they are compared to the competition.

Here is their cheapest server:

CPU: 2.8 Ghz
    RAM: 256 MB
    HDD: 73 GB
    Transfer: 30 GB

+ Shared SQL Server 150 MB

At a cost of $499.

Lets look at what, for the same money, e1 servers can offer you.

CPU: Duel 2.4 GHz
    RAM: 2 GB
    HDD: 73GB 
    Transfer: 2000 GB

At a cost of $329 ($1 setup)

So wait, you are saving just under $200 and getting more in almost every area?

I could write a page breaking down how expensive *EVERY ONE* of ORCS web's packages are but you can look for yourself.
    So what is the advantage of using ORCS Web over someone else? If someone wants to explain it to me I am more than happy to listen.

Disclaimer: I don't work for any hosting company so have no vested interest in it. [A]

• User profile image
    jamie

i still hope they move us to real servers at ms - but this would be a great second choice

(sometimes these guys are slooow - although it might have been all the new site testing in the background recently)

( haha its the 2 guys who manually adjust their font size! [y] )

• User profile image
    Charles

We have a dedicated 3 node farm and SQL server. Orcsweb's support is amazing (24/7) as is their up time. The Orcsweb staff is exceptionally capable. We have no plans of changing our hosting environment.

C

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Charles wrote:
    We have a dedicated 3 node farm and SQL server. Orcsweb's support is amazing (24/7) as is their up time. The Orcsweb staff is exceptionally capable. We have no plans of changing our hosting environment.

...since this is an MSDN site, why isn't it hosted by Microsoft?

• User profile image
    dotnetjunkie

Charles wrote:

C

While I agree on that, I'm sure you could accomplish the same thing (and cheaper) at your own company?  Isn't there something like a Hosting devision at Microsoft?

• User profile image
    eagle

Bandwidth Bandwidth Bandwidth

I know other people who use Orcsweb and they too are very happy with the service.

Many young wana-be-crackers join C9 thinking they will get access to Microsoft's servers.

• User profile image
    Karim

I am developing an ASP .NET 2.0 beta site... it is being hosted at ORCS Web.

Cost?  $10 a month.

Didn't seem that expensive to me.

I have gotten used to customer support from various places that makes me want to slam down the phone and exclaim, in my best Napoleon Dynamite imitation, "Idiots!" 

ORCS Web, by way of contrast, has amazing customer support.  Always a prompt reply.  Problems fixed right away.  How much is that worth?

Oh sure, I know we'll have to convert over to a "real" hosting account when VS 2005/ASP .NET 2.0 ships... and it will cost more than $10 a month... but so far, these guys have done nothing but prove to me why they should KEEP my business.

It's that way with any commodity.  There are about a dozen places where I can get coffee near my office.  The prices are about the same and the quality of the coffee is about the same.  I tend to go to the one place where they 1) know my drink order and start it as soon as I walk in and 2) smile at me... because there's something to be said for good customer service.

• User profile image
    NeoTOM

Karim wrote:

Cost?  $10 a month.

Well, yeah, but with what specs?

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

Irascan (sorry about the spelling) is greatly right.

There is TONS of red tape to get things hosted. To change one webpage from the department that I reside it we have to have a request put in explaining the update period (if any content changes), the size of the site, who designed it, then they have to review the code, decide how much bandwidth it takes, how much that bandwidth would cost, what department will sponsor the bandwidth, and if it is feasible for the business to do it.

I mean there is tons. And seeing Scoble and others more than likely have a corporate credit card paying that amount to save yourself the hassle is a whole lot better than the time/enegry of the red tape.

• User profile image
    irascian

dotnetjunkie wrote:
    Charles wrote: We have a dedicated 3 node farm and SQL server. Orcsweb's support is amazing (24/7) as is their up time. The Orcsweb staff is exceptionally capable. We have no plans of changing our hosting environment.

C

While I agree on that, I'm sure you could accomplish the same thing (and cheaper) at your own company?  Isn't there something like a Hosting devision at Microsoft?

I can't speak for Microsoft but I can talk for what I experienced when working for Ford and I'm sure the process is similar. Large corporations charge "corporate" fees for any kind of web farm set-up plus they want a mountain of paperwork covering security, governance and other issues that would kill dead "small" projects like Channel 9.

Several times I found myself in a situation where going with a company like OrcsWeb would have saved the customer a fortune AND got the site delivered much faster and with better service. Unfortunately at Ford you'd have had to jump through hoops and waited six months to be allowed to go to somebody like OrcsWeb - it looks like maybe Microsoft have realised there are situations where it's cheaper and faster to go external.

As for OrcsWeb I used them to host a site for a couple of years. Their support was excellent but where they were one of the cheapest ISPs for "shared hosting" when I joined them in 2001 two years later I found a much cheaper hosting company here in the UK. What I find ironic is I get much better service (I had two emails today - on a Sunday - within 5 minutes of sending in a technical support question!) for the £250 a year I pay now than I got when I paid three times that A MONTH for a leased line with another ISP (not OrcsWeb, I hasten to add). ISP Hosting is probably one of the few areas where you really DON'T get what you pay for.

• User profile image
    irascian

Karim wrote:

Cost?  $10 a month.

Didn't seem that expensive to me.

I think I was paying USD700 a year for a very basic SQL Server ASP.NET shared hosting with OrcsWeb. Every week it seemed I got an email about downtime which was a bit off-putting, especially becaues their "overnight" time was my "peak visit" time in the UK (although it showed they were maintaining their servers and not just leaving them be)

My new ISP offered me much more space, graphic reports etc for UKP250 a year which included secure sockets and ASP.NET 2.0 was bundled in for the same price as soon as the live license became available.

I'd recommend OrcsWeb if I were living Stateside but I honestly find hostinguk.net cheaper with more facilities, less down time and the best support I've ever had for about half the price I was paying OrcsWeb. For dedicated servers (which I'm now looking at) they (hostinguk.net) were much cheaper.

Of course one has to find a balance between price being charged and the realistic cost of support such that the ISP doesn't "go under" through being too aggressive with pricing, and I may be eating my words if my ISP "goes under" in the next few years but I've been with them for over 2 years now and the level of support has remained consistently high so I'm optimistic.

• User profile image
    Charles

We have to get things done FAST. This means we must operate outside the constraints of a giant IT department. To be honest, the support we get from Orcsweb is as capable and as rapid as what we would expect to get from MSCOM (faster in some cases). This is not to say that our IT is lacking. As you can imagine, we have one of the best IT departments in the world (as well as one of the largest).

Not being hosted internally has given us a ton of freedom and it's been great to work on a Microsoft project that's hosted, maintained and monitored by a third party who relies on our platform to provide exceptional services to clients like us.

See the fractal?

C

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Million dollar question:

Do you have the PHP ISAPI Extension installed on the C9 servers?

• User profile image
    Charles

Probably not on our servers since we don't need it.

Orcsweb probably supports this for clients who require it.

Ask them Wink

C

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.