Coffeehouse Thread

36 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

New Orleans

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    eagle

Do you know what it means to miss New Orleans
    And miss it each night and day
    I know I’m not wrong... this feeling’s gettin’ stronger
    The longer, I stay away
    Miss them moss covered vines...the tall sugar pines
    Where mockin’ birds used to sing
    And I’d like to see that lazy mississippi...hurryin’ into spring

The moonlight on the bayou.......a creole tune.... that fills the air
    I dream... about magnolias in bloom......and I’m wishin’ I was there

When that’s where you left your heart
    And there’s one thing more...I miss the one I care for
    More than I miss New Orleans

Words, music and sentiment by Louis Armstrong and I know what he means having lived there for four incredible years. We all understood the risks and dangers of living 12 feet below sea level so near the sea between the mighty Mississippi and Lake Pontratrain, but we partied-on dancing to da-music yea ya right...and I hope to be back again soon.

• User profile image
    Tyler Brown

My best friend just moved down there to the university in New Orleans on a full scholarship for long distance running. A week after he gets down there, he's evacuated to Batton Rouge... crazy. Glad he's doing alright... although I doubt he'll be in his residence when things get back to normal as it's right on the shore of the lake there... massive flooding is expected for the city.

Hope everyone pulls through this one... it's going to be a rough ride, thats for sure.

• User profile image
    scobleizer

My friend Ernie the Attorney is stuck in New Orleans. He's SMS'ing me. Buzz Bruggeman, CEO of ActiveWords is here. My favorite city is New Orleans. Unbelieveable.

• User profile image
    scobleizer

Ernie's blog is http://www.ernietheattorney.net/

CNN just reported that we're about nine hours away from landfall.

• User profile image
    eagle

I can’t believe anyone stayed behind, 48 hours ago the authorities declared that this is the BIG ONE we have always feared.

The levees were constructed by Irishman with shovels over a hundred years ago and are capable of withstanding a12 foot storm serge, we’re going to witness 2X that today!

New Orleans, one of the greatest cities in the world is going to be under water. The Army Corp of Engineers will be able to pump out the water, but it’s going to take days.

• User profile image
    billh

Eagle, I have some better lyrics for you...by the way, you spelled the lake name wrong.  For somebody who lived their four years, sheesh.  It's "Lake Pontchartrain". Or, in a few hours one big bowl of "toxic waste gumbo".

I used to think maybe you loved me now baby i'm sure
    And i just cant wait till the day when you knock on my door
    Now everytime i go for the mailbox , gotta hold myself down
    Cos i just wait till you write me your coming around

Im walking on sunshine , wooah
    Im walking on sunshine, woooah
    Im walking on sunshine, woooah
    and dont it feel good!!

Hey , alright now
    and dont it feel good!!
    hey yeh

Wait, let's modify that.

I used to think maybe we'd make it, but now I'm not sure
    I boarded the windows, stocked up on food, sure hope my new roof holds
    I can't go to the mailbox, gotta tie myself down
    the power just went, but I'm holding my ground!

Im braving Katrina, wooah
    Im braving Katrina, woooah
    Im braving Katrina, woooah
    and dont it feel good!!

Hey , alright now
    and dont it feel good!!
    hey yeh

• User profile image
    brussell

I went there for a week on a vacation. Just walked around the city and went to six flags. It's an amazing place. Some of the best food I have ever had, as long as you don't try to figure out what is in some of it.

• User profile image
    Tyler Brown

I'm hoping to make it down sometime in February to visit my friend. Saw some live footage from Batton Rouge and it's pretty windy there too... nothing like New Orleans though.

• User profile image
    brussell

I couldn't believe how it would be all nice one minute and then would rain very hard for 15 minutes, flood everything, then be nice again....

Rains more there in 15 minutes than I think it does in a couple months in Utah.

• User profile image
    eagle

What has happened down here is the wind have changed
    Clouds roll in from the north and it started to rain
    Rained real hard and rained for a real long time
    Six feet of water in the streets of Evangeline

The river rose all day
    The river rose all night
    Some people got lost in the flood
    Some people got away alright
    The river have busted through cleard down to Plaquemines
    Six feet of water in the streets of Evangelne

Louisiana, Louisiana
    They're tyrin' to wash us away
    They're tryin' to wash us away
    Louisiana, Louisiana

Louisiana 1927, Randy Newman

• User profile image
    eagle

Shelter from the Storm

We have witnessed an unfathomable catastrophe with over a million Americans now Homeless.

New Orleans is underwater, Mississippi has been torn asunder. Rescue efforts continue, the flood waters will receded and the clean-up will follow. People need shelter, insurance and federal assistance will help many, but a major effort to tap the generosity of the American people will be necessary.

In most of the devastated areas there is no electrical power, no telephones and the Cell towers are down. Fresh clean water and food are the basic necessities that the Charities and Federal authorities will deliver, but all of us need to help our people rebuild. It is my hope that the Technology Companies will take the lead, we’re well connected by networks and blogs, let’s put them to good use.

Habitat for Humanity is a good option: Help Hurricane Victims Rebuild Their Lives

The American Red Cross knows how to help people in need.

• User profile image
    Oberon

I watched a show on PBS less than a year ago about New Orleans and what might happen if a major storm hit. Now with the levee breaking, it appears all the horror stories have come true. A whole city under water. It's hard to imagine a natural disaster much worse than this. Sad

• User profile image
    JChung2006

People are talking about abandoning New Orleans altogether and rebuilding elsewhere.  It is mindblowing to think that there may come a day when there is no such thing as New Orleans any more.  It is a rich and storied part of American heritage and a vital part of our economy.

Truly tragic. Sad

• User profile image
    eagle

New Orleans is the third largest port in America.

Building a Better Community  The Baton Rouge Area Foundation has established two funds designated to benefit those impacted by Hurricane Katrina.

• User profile image
    Tonatiúh

eagle wrote:

And miss it each night and day
    I know I’m not wrong... this feeling’s gettin’ stronger
    The longer, I stay away
    Miss them moss covered vines...the tall sugar pines
    Where mockin’ birds used to sing
    And I’d like to see that lazy mississippi...hurryin’ into spring

The moonlight on the bayou.......a creole tune.... that fills the air
    I dream... about magnolias in bloom......and I’m wishin’ I was there

When that’s where you left your heart
    And there’s one thing more...I miss the one I care for
    More than I miss New Orleans

Words, music and sentiment by Louis Armstrong and I know what he means having lived there for four incredible years. We all understood the risks and dangers of living 12 feet below sea level so near the sea between the mighty Mississippi and Lake Pontratrain, but we partied-on dancing to da-music yea ya right...and I hope to be back again soon.

Many people, specially young people, have never been teached how to express such feelings... And the lesser any body is able to express a given feeling about a given situation, the worst she/he will behave in perceiving that same feeling from others expressions.

When I Think in New Orleans (never I meet such a beauty place), My soul go inside the pages of my first beloved book: Tom Sawyer... I have largely kept envying him for been so lucky as of can stay near to Becky... And what about Huckleberry Finn.. Nice young buddy, uh?... Very alike those young Niners here.

• User profile image
    eagle

Tonatiúh have you visited Oaxaca? New Orleans was build by the Spanish and when I walk the streets of Oaxaca I feel like I'm back in New Orleans.

Two colonial cities of España Nueva.

• User profile image
    Tonatiúh

No, Eagle... I never have visited Ooaxaca... I am a person not so willingly on moving, even if it is only for tourism... My parents where from Spain (Ma' from Amposta at ten minutes from Barcelona, my Pa' from Madrid)... May be I will not ever see Spain with my own eyes... Although some times I tell my self my parents have went there on visit of my father's family on 1983: 44 years past his arrival here...

Anyhow, I have enough imaginative skills as for make any trip in the minute I want, as far as I want and to the time I want: I am writing a SF novel... Joyful self imposed duty!

Tank you Eagle, for your gentleness and awareness...
    Keep your self on flying over the highest mountains, and time to time, bring to me one of that wonderful views you should see from there.

• User profile image
    jsrfc58

Tonatiúh wrote:
    Keep your self on flying over the highest mountains, and time to time, bring to me one of that wonderful views you should see from there.

This line reminds me of a Ray Bradbury short story I read a long time ago ("Calling Mexico" I think), where somebody was calling another country "just to hear the sounds" outside the window. 

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.