Coffeehouse Thread

6 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Vista build at PDC..

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Defcon

I need some info on the build of Vista which will be given out at PDC. Basically, I want to install Vista + VS 2005 on my laptop and of course I want the latest versions Smiley

- will we get the dvd's as part of the packet on day 1? The plan is to format and install a fresh copy on day 1, hopefully during the keynote. Or should I get my dvd of beta 1 with me?

- are there any gotchas in using Vista as a primary dev environment. Does VS2k5 install on it? Any problems with WiFi?

I've been holding out till pdc to try out Vista, as my efforts to run it in Vmware were less than succesful.

• User profile image
    bonk

*sigh*

A laptop for the PDC would be very cool...

• User profile image
    irascian

I have no inside knowledge but if my experience of TechEd is anything to go by any CD/DVD will be produced "very close to the wire" and given out on the last day (in return for filling out evaluation forms). 

Sometimes things are so "close to the wire" that if some fundamental error has been made that isn't spotted until the last day of the event then there may instead be a promise that replacements will be sent instead (which arrive a few weeks after they're on MSDN downloads).

I've spent the last few days reformatting my hard drive and installing everything on the laptop I'll be taking with me as "prep" for this event, but I've got to say that while Win2003 running in an XP Virtual PC rocks, Vista sucks big time in the same environment. There are lots of blog entries around detailing the order in which you need to install things and how to get full colour res etc but I still haven't got sound working (the "Install SoundBlaster driver from their site" fix didn't work) and the thing runs like it's been installed on a ZX81 from 20 years ago. Sometimes you have to realise that just because something CAN be done (Vista CAN be installed under VPC) doesn't mean it SHOULD be done Sad

• User profile image
    irascian

bonk wrote:
    *sigh*

A laptop for the PDC would be very cool...

Actually with battery life being so poor I've found that the only time a laptop becomes useful at these events is if you have free time in the evenings (I'll be taking mine to process my photo's each evening and do a nightly blog as the hotel has wireless internet access). To be honest there will be so much going on that the only way you get time to use a laptop is if you can survive on 3-4 hours sleep a night (which I'm gearing myself up to) 

My laptop is big and heavy (like, I suspect, most developer's "power" laptops) and I keep looking at the Sony VGN-T2XP and wondering if I can justify one exclusively for trips such as this. Fortunately it seems hard to find a supplier who has it in its 1GB memory configuration and I somehow doubt the various review claims of "6 hours battery life" which would rule out using it for note-taking etc. So I think my credit cards are going to be relatively safe this time round.

• User profile image
    Jeremy W

Make sure you've got lots of space on that lappy386. There'll be more than Vista being released... People sometimes forget that PDC is about more than 1 flagship product Wink

• User profile image
    blowdart

Jeremy W. wrote:
    Make sure you've got lots of space on that lappy386. There'll be more than Vista being released... People sometimes forget that PDC is about more than 1 flagship product

The rumours have started of a WinFS beta.

Damnit NOW I want to go.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.