Coffeehouse Thread

5 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

books books books !

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    bonk

http://pdc05.blogspot.com/2005/08/books-books-books.html

Do you know of any other cool new books (especially on c++/CLI, managed/unmanaged interop, WinFX) or have any more info about Chris Anderson's and/or Jean-Luc David's book?

• User profile image
    bonk

how do PDC prices compare to amazon prices ?

• User profile image
    blowdart

I have to say the books I bought on beta 2 of the framework were poor, at best. Dino Esposito's book was probably the worst of the lot. Minimal technical information, lots of puff.

So no more buying books about betas for me.

• User profile image
    irascian

Bonk,

I haven't been to a PDC (just European TechEd) so not sure.  For me the issue is more that books that will take a few weeks to find their way through the distribution system are likely to be on sale at PDC (Ian Griffiths indicated his book was being prepped specifically to make sure it was available in time for PDC), plus the USD/UKP differential will make them cheaper anyway.

I don't use Amazon anyway - I find www.compman.co.uk to be much cheaper (especially since if you sign up for their newsletter they frequently give you a discount code that gives 10% extra discount off their already low prices and I've never missed 'next day' delivery where Amazon have sometimes taken weeks for their promised next day delivery)

Blowdart,

Tell me about it! That being said I'm quite impressed with the "A Developer's Notebook" series. For someone with not much time the "Visual C# 2005 A Developer's Notebook" cuts straight to the chase on the new stuff pretty quickly.

• User profile image
    irascian

One way and another this is going to be an expensive trip! Wink

Based on my TechEd experience I'm taking a large suitcase containing very little so that I can bring all the booty back.

Ian Griffiths book is on my "Must buy" list but I suspect that if you've already been working with Avalon this might prove too "beginner-oriented" for you.

I think it's still early days yet for Vista/Avalon books but that's quite a list already. Personally I'm waiting for the glut of ASP.NET 2.0 books although what usually happens is the best books don't surface until several months after the product has shipped. Fritz Onion's "Essential ASP.NET 2.0" will be near the top of my list but that's not due out until early next year.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.