Coffeehouse Thread

30 posts

WinFS Beta 1 Released (video soon to come to Channel 9)

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Andy H

:O WinFS lives ? Big Smile

• User profile image
    mbazzoni

Just installed and I am getting my feet wet. I did a few printscreens of the install and the results and posted them on my blog: http://bazzoni.blogspot.com/ Good Job Microsoft...now I will keep working with it to make sure it works.

• User profile image
    NetRyder

Minh wrote:
    It's the under-promise-over-deliver philosophy to win over customers. Well, it works!

I agree. Big Smile
    Can't wait to check out the video later tonight!

• User profile image
    scobleizer

NetRyder wrote:
    Can't wait to check out the video later tonight!

The video is now posted!

• User profile image
    pilotbob

Ok,

So can someone on the WinFS team tell us what the state of Object Spaces is in the beta. It was briefly mentioned in the video but no specific reference was made to it.

Is the ObjectSpaces name space in the beta? If not when will it be?

BOb

• User profile image
    samdruk

Come to PDC, talk DAT312.

smadavid wrote:

If they solve the OR Mapping problem for us, and we have a single API that works for both SQL Server and WinFS, that would be huge.

I think you're right, but I'm biased.

• User profile image
    samdruk

ObjectSpaces is not part of the beta. We'll have more to say about OS, WinFS programming and the future of ADO.NET at the PDC.

• User profile image
    Q

smadavid wrote:

If they solve the OR Mapping problem for us, and we have a single API that works for both SQL Server and WinFS, that would be huge.

We hope so!  You get it- and this is more of what we will be talking about at the PDC, and subsequent Betas. 

• User profile image
    Tom Servo

Another question, not sure if you know or are allowed to talk about it, but how's the post-release Vista integration going to work? Is the Vista shell team actively working with you and preparing the shell to have WinFS plugged in, or will it be an extension plus glue code running in background like that dllhost instance in the beta 1 bits on XP?

• User profile image
    eddwo

I'm interested in hearing how the integration will work too.

Will the Vista virtual folders, and the associated UI elements for searching and filtering,  that currently run off Windows Desktop Search be repurposed to become WinFS virtual folders, and WinFS searching and filtering?

Can this be done cleanly? Or will WinFS just be a "developer framework" that is usable by other applications/ is an extension to the shell namespace, but does not really become part of the overal system until Blackcomb.

• User profile image
    mbazzoni

Continuing to post on my Blog about the testing I have done so far...got a comment that yesterday I didn't put enough data in my Blog. Well, everyone tests at a different pace... http:\\bazzoni.blogspot.com

• User profile image
    smadavid

samdruk wrote:
    Come to PDC, talk DAT312.
    I'll be there, looking forward to it!

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.