Coffeehouse Thread

64 posts

Katrina aftermath is stunning

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • scobleizer

    We wanted to say our hearts go out to all of those affected in the Katrina disaster. The images we're seeing are stunning. I just did a look around the net for the best blogging and here's what I've found so far. Please feel free to add to this thread, we're putting it on the home page (there are a few other threads already started in the Channel 9 coffeehouse as well). Please let us know if there's anything we can do to help. The obvious first thing is to donate cash to the American Red Cross, but maybe there's more we can do too. Anyway, here's my post:

    +++


    All day I've been hearing bits and pieces about the devastation in New Orleans and surrounding areas. It makes me sad. New Orleans is our (Maryam and mine) favorite city. Being in Preservation Hall, for me, is like going to church.

    Staci Kramer called me today and we talked a long time about ways we could make it easier for people to learn about localized situations. We need a new kind of search engine.

    Actually, Dan Gillmor or Larry Larsen at Poynter Institute should be talking about this stuff. How can we make it easier for people to get localized information during disasters? Did my house survive? Where is government assistance best sent? Anything I can do to volunteer?

    And tons of other questions.

    But, those are best worked on another day. Right now an entire region is in deep pain. What can the rest of us do to help? Give to an appropriate charity is my answer. Poynter has a list of good places for post-hurricane charity.

    Staci told me she's covered disasters before but has never seen anything like this. Her OPML blog is linking to some good Katrina stuff.

    My heart is out to all of those suffering Katrina's wrath. I'm working inside Microsoft to help out too. I'm sure we'll hear more on that soon.

    Here's some other places to find news about Katrina's effects.

    Update: Phil Windley, former Utah CIO, talks about "turning hopeless victims into smart mobs."

    MSNBC has lots of news and video linked off of its home page.

    Glenn Reynolds: In praise of old media.

    WWLTV in New Orleans: Updates as they come in on Katrina.

    Michael Totten: Lake New Orleans.

    Craig Newmark, the guy who started Craigs' List, blogs about how people are using Craigs' List during the Katrina disaster to find people and news.

    JD Lasica links to a stunning video done by citizen journalism storm chasers.

    Memeorandum has the top headlines and blogger reactions.

  • eagle

    In most of the devastated areas there is no electrical power, no telephones and the Cell towers are down. Fresh clean water and food are the basic necessities that the Charities and Federal authorities will deliver, but all of us need to help our people rebuild. It is my hope that the Technology Companies will take the lead, we’re well connected by networks and blogs, let’s put them to good use.

    Habitat for Humanity is a good option: Help Hurricane Victims Rebuild Their Lives

    The American Red Cross knows how to help people in need.

  • Larsenal

    After watching that stunning video, I couldn't help but think about what a worldwide flood would be like.

    I'm sure many of you are familar with the account of such a worldwide flood a long time ago.  I'm glad there will never be another worldwide flood.

    (Just mentioning what I've thought of in the midst of this.  Take it for what it is.)

  • scobleizer
  • marmelade

    Don't bring up your bible crap just because there's a disaster.  It's not the time to preach your beliefs in front of people who don't care for it.

  • AdamKinney

    Man, marmelade. Larsenal even added a take it as it is. Here's a more neutral link for you.

     Thanks for the links scoble, truly hard to concieve of the damage and pain caused to the area.

  • leighsword

    eagle wrote:
    In most of the devastated areas there is no electrical power, no telephones and the Cell towers are down. Fresh clean water and food are the basic necessities that the Charities and Federal authorities will deliver, but all of us need to help our people rebuild. It is my hope that the Technology Companies will take the lead, we’re well connected by networks and blogs, let’s put them to good use.

    Habitat for Humanity is a good option: Help Hurricane Victims Rebuild Their Lives

    The American Red Cross knows how to help people in need.


    you pay tax every month,  why not leave it to the government? it seems US more like a communism country when they got a disaster.(it's NOT all about  MONEY)


  • Tonatiúh

    scobleizer wrote:

    Actually, Dan Gillmor or Larry Larsen at Poynter Institute should be talking about this stuff. How can we make it easier for people to get localized information during disasters? Did my house survive? Where is government assistance best sent? Anything I can do to volunteer?



    I am pity and scared... For them the victims of Katrina and por us here at the State of Colima in Mexico... My house is about 31 Km far from the crater of the Colima's volcano... We are from May in a volcano eruption alert (yelow)... Many people here do not like become aware we are inside the second degree risk zone: volcano's mackerel avalanche... our houses are settled over more than five meters of volcano mackerel from about seven very old eruptions... Media here says nothing about and people lives uninformed on the subject... We need urgently precisely that kind of help: the prophylactic aproach... We do not know when, but the "Observatorio Vulcanológico de la Universidad de Colima" says it would happen... Perhaps we still are in time...

    Sorry as for deviate your concern from New Orleans people...

    Me I help in any way?

  • Minh

    C'mon guys. This is hardly the time & place to argue -- one way or the other.

    Please give to the Red Cross. It may sound religous, but they do get things done -- speaking from a non-Christian.

    Maybe we can get MS to kick in a C9 matching fund or something.

  • Tonatiúh

    Calm down Leigh Sword... The way you think is as different to the way we think, as the differences between your language and the ours are... Please dear lady, do not make me change my mind about you...

    Carlos Bardullas Subirats

  • Larsenal

    Marmelade, I don't mean to offend (although I realize that anything semi-religious is bound to bother some people).  Oftentimes, people are more open to speaking of such matters under similar circumstances.

    On a non-religious note, the incident has reminded me that terrorism isn't necessarily the the biggest threat possible.  Here's an interesting article about being in denial about the forces of nature.

  • Charles

    Minh wrote:
    C'mon guys. This is hardly the time & place to argue -- one way or the other.

    Please give to the Red Cross. It may sound religous, but they do get things done -- speaking from a non-Christian.

    Maybe we can get MS to kick in a C9 matching fund or something.



    Agreed.

    I'm sure the industry will step up and support those in need.

    C

  • JChung2006
  • leighsword

    Tonatiúh wrote:
    Calm down Leigh Sword... The way you think is as different to the way we think, as the differences between your language and the ours are... Please dear lady, do not make me change my mind about you...

    Carlos Bardullas Subirats

    i am regrad the volunteer who want to help others, just  be curious about what the US government will do for help their people in this situation, and how much budget they spent for preventing future disaster?where is money gone? why they are able to conquered the Space and steped on the Moon, but unable to conquer the nature?
    you know, the flood kills many people in China every year, we all know it's a human disaster, the policy of the government may kills people.

  • Larsenal

    LeighSword, I don't believe we will ever conquer nature.

    We will never be able to spend enough money to prevent everyone from the tragic effects of natural disasters.  IMHO, nature is too fierce a beast to be tamed by mere mortals.

    I don't think we gain much from pointing fingers at the government in these situations.  Just be thankful they have means to lend relief and are generally determined to prevent a similar disaster from causing similar damage.

  • asharism

    I can realise the plight of those affected by Katrina. We in Bombay, India faced a similar situation about a month ago when its rained and rained here.

  • leighsword

    Larsenal wrote:
    LeighSword, I don't believe we will ever conquer nature.

    We will never be able to spend enough money to prevent everyone from the tragic effects of natural disasters.  IMHO, nature is too fierce a beast to be tamed by mere mortals.

    I don't think we gain much from pointing fingers at the government in these situations.  Just be thankful they have means to lend relief and are generally determined to prevent a similar disaster from causing similar damage.

    long long ago, the ancients created a tons of tools for fight against nature, today turn us,  the house(building) seems cann't protect us well in these situations,  why we don't invent a new material to build more safe 'house' or something can stop that? shame on it.

    a story about umbrella:
    These ancient umbrellas or parasols, were first designed to provide shade from the sun. The Chinese were the first to waterproof their umbrellas for use as rain protection. They waxed and lacquered their paper parasols in order to use them for rain.
    quote from http://inventors.about.com/library/inventors/blumbrella.htm

    >>Cuali itcha a cosamalot (Náhuatl) --> What wonderful the rainbow is! (English)... Do Chinese have an expression like that?
    yes, 多么美丽的彩虹啊!(Chinese).
     there is a famous story about rainbow in China.

  • BruceLee

    Larsenal wrote:
    I don't believe we will ever conquer nature.


    This is true.

    And I believe every person, nation or country will face some difficult time. People must unite together and help with each other to get over the difficulities.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.