We wanted to say our hearts go out to all of those affected in the Katrina disaster. The images we're seeing are stunning. I just did a look around the net for the best blogging and here's what I've found so far. Please feel free to add to this thread, we're putting it on the home page (there are a few other threads already started in the Channel 9 coffeehouse as well). Please let us know if there's anything we can do to help. The obvious first thing is to donate cash to the American Red Cross, but maybe there's more we can do too. Anyway, here's my post:

+++

All day I've been hearing bits and pieces about the devastation in New Orleans and surrounding areas. It makes me sad. New Orleans is our (Maryam and mine) favorite city. Being in Preservation Hall, for me, is like going to church.

Staci Kramer called me today and we talked a long time about ways we could make it easier for people to learn about localized situations. We need a new kind of search engine.

Actually, Dan Gillmor or Larry Larsen at Poynter Institute should be talking about this stuff. How can we make it easier for people to get localized information during disasters? Did my house survive? Where is government assistance best sent? Anything I can do to volunteer?

And tons of other questions.

But, those are best worked on another day. Right now an entire region is in deep pain. What can the rest of us do to help? Give to an appropriate charity is my answer. Poynter has a list of good places for post-hurricane charity.

Staci told me she's covered disasters before but has never seen anything like this. Her OPML blog is linking to some good Katrina stuff.

My heart is out to all of those suffering Katrina's wrath. I'm working inside Microsoft to help out too. I'm sure we'll hear more on that soon.

Here's some other places to find news about Katrina's effects.

Update: Phil Windley, former Utah CIO, talks about "turning hopeless victims into smart mobs."

MSNBC has lots of news and video linked off of its home page.

Glenn Reynolds: In praise of old media.

WWLTV in New Orleans: Updates as they come in on Katrina.

Michael Totten: Lake New Orleans.

Craig Newmark, the guy who started Craigs' List, blogs about how people are using Craigs' List during the Katrina disaster to find people and news.

JD Lasica links to a stunning video done by citizen journalism storm chasers.

Memeorandum has the top headlines and blogger reactions.