Coffeehouse Thread

64 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Katrina aftermath is stunning

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Red5

For those interested:

THE DEADLIEST, COSTLIEST, AND MOST INTENSE
    UNITED STATES HURRICANES FROM 1900 TO 2000

(AND OTHER FREQUENTLY REQUESTED HURRICANE FACTS)

The tables inside the report show some interesting statistics on the number of hurricanes per year and the intensity of hurricanes per year.

One note that stood out to me in the report:

"One of the greatest concerns of the National Weather Service's (NWS) hurricane preparedness officials is that the statistics in table 2 will mislead people into thinking that no more large loss of life will occur in a hurricane because of our advanced technology. Max Mayfield, spokesman for the NWS hurricane warning service and Director of TPC, as well
    as former NHC Directors, have repeatedly emphasized the great danger of a catastrophic loss of life in a future hurricane if proper preparedness plans for vulnerable areas are not formulated, maintained and executed."

• User profile image
    Manip

Andy H. wrote:
    Also thought of an idea where we could implement a kind of peer to peer service between cells. If one cell came into contact with a signal then the others could use that through a peer to peer connection between phones. Also why not some sort of Bluetooth service between cells which allowed transferring news, emails, text etc.

You could do that highly over-complicated plan that isn't very likely to work or you could just continue to have emergancy cell tower vans that can drive into a city and become a cell tower within minutes of reaching the location... But cell tower vans, that is just too crazy to work? Right? Tongue Out

• User profile image
    Tonatiúh

Leigh:

My father have been, through the 46 years he have keept before me (he died in 1989) a utterly proud man, about his way of thinking. He have been a republican soldier at the Spanish Civil War (1935-1938). He came to Mexico in 1939 as a refugee. I have born 2 months before spected (August 16 of 1945), just because my mother, was a Spanish refugee too and have endured from his 10 years, 3 years of war and 1 year in a refugees camp in France, and been at the date of my birth, about seven months of his pregnancy of my self, viewing a film in ono of those old movie rooms at Torreón, Cohauila; México, the news in the big screen have shown what happened in Hiroshima and Nagasaki few days before, as part of an end-of-hostilities signature report... So I am nowadays mentaly incapacitated due the lack of two months for my brain to be complete in all its functions (I am tottaly unable to handle the adrenaline, do not produce calcium, iron and suggar and suffer of hyper-hipo disorders of body temperature).

My father have never talked on politics, while in sincere pity because any one of the many natural and non-natural crisis he have witnessed...

But I supose you are better young than I have guessed... Time will teach you dear lady, that the magic of the rainbow is as real as any scientific fact.

Tonatiúh Quetzalcóatl de Andrés Crespo
    (That is my writer and artist alias)

Cuali itcha a cosamalot (Náhuatl) --> What wonderful the rainbow is! (English)... Do Chinese have an expression like that?

• User profile image
    Tonatiúh

Larsenal:

Could any human being talk about wisdom and mercy, if she/he is not able to show her/his wisdom and mercy... For her/his whorst enemies?

I believe arguing arise, and friends become rivals, when we focus our opinions on any mather, not on the mather, but on the messenger of one of the little pieces needed to settle that puzzle the birth of the solution is?

Would you be so kind as to gift to the Universe, any off the little shiny colored crystals the rainbow in your heart have trasured through your live? 

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

You can't blame the people who stayed.  A small minority of them were stubborn, but the vast majority had no place to go and no money to get there. 

That said, we're about to find out how depraved people can be:  boats can't make it to the Superdome, Helicopters are being shot at by people in the city and even if they can get transportation out there, the estimate is 30-40K people in and around the superdome. 
    If you think looting and floating bodies are icky, you ain't seen nothing yet.

• User profile image
    Andy H

nothing is too crazy ! people once said more than 640k of ram was crazy Tongue Out

sad to see things deteriorating though Sad couldnt watch the news much today.

• User profile image
    Steve411

leighsword wrote:

you pay tax every month,  why not leave it to the government? it seems US more like a communism country when they got a disaster.(it's NOT all about  MONEY)

Leigh, go lay down and think for a bit. </sarcasam>

Seriously though, all of your posts and comments have been somewhat valid till just about now.. You seem to harsh and uncarring for a lady of ... your age? (you look like you're in your 20's). I understand a heartless 90 year old would say it but you.. i never thought that you'd go as far as calling a country that is fighting someone elses war a communist country.

And believe it or not, IT IS ALL about MONEY. Without MONEY you have no POWER, without POWER you have NOTHING.

I like driving at 2 am. Streets are empty. haha
    - Steve

• User profile image
    ascent

Easy there marmelade - there was no preaching. It was just a comment...geesh.

• User profile image
    Tonatiúh

I just understand this is up to me..

• User profile image
    Tonatiúh

Tank you Charles... My mind need to find every thing I left at the place I have left... Some times I got nothing but an empty hole from my past minute.

• User profile image
    Tonatiúh

ascent wrote:
    Easy there marmelade - there was no preaching. It was just a comment...geesh.

Actualy it is, for the most part, a poem of my own... As soon as I could, I will translate it for all of you willing to read it.

• User profile image
    Nata1

check out the video on Rocket Boom http://www.rocketboom.com/vlog/ makes me sick to watch this

• User profile image
    Tonatiúh

Do not stare at videos make you seek.

• User profile image
    Sophocle

Nice poem Tonatiuh .
    Thanks for sharing it.

• User profile image
    Tonatiúh

leighsword wrote:

Around 132 AD, Chinese scientist Chang Heng invented the first seismoscope, an instrument that could register the occurrence of an earthquake. quote from

Leigh Sword, dear lady... You just given me another gift. Please see this post of mine,

Tank you.
    Iokarlo <--- Is my name when perfmorming as the principal character in mi novel: What wonderful the 多么美丽的彩虹啊 is!

• User profile image
    Sophocle

No I am from Canada. French is my first language but my mother is Spanish.

• User profile image
    Nata1

Tonatiuh, where are you from man?  Where are you living now?

• User profile image
    Tonatiúh

Leigh Sword:

Been curious have nothing to do with been in regard about... But I am sure you are missleading the word meaning in English... All the time it happens to me here.

Anyhow, recall the Confu-tse and Lao-tse speakings as for teaching the Chinese of their epoch, how to be wisdom on loving others... The same have done Ce-acatl-topiltzin (Quetzalcoatl) for the Náhuatls about the XVI century in Mesoamerica (from Texas and Nuevo Mexico up to Peru).

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.