Coffeehouse Thread

48 posts

Gas Prices: up!

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Cairo

Gas has breached $3/gal here in NC ($3.099 at the local station), and is reportedly $5.579 in Atlanta.

Yow.

• User profile image
    sbc

Cairo wrote:
    Gas has breached $3/gal here in NC ($3.099 at the local station), and is reportedly $5.579 in Atlanta.

Yow.

Much cheaper than here in the UK. IMHO petrol prices should be much higher and we should all be using hydrogen/fuel cell powered cars. The sooner, the better (for us and the planet). Although it would be better if they put much greater tax on air fuel (as aircraft do far more damage to the ozone layer).

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

A gallon is about 3.7 liters, right? In that case it's rediculously cheap. $3/gal would be $0.81 per liter which is around €0.70 per liter.

Right now, average gas price in the Netherlands is between €1.40 and €1.50 per liter. If you find a really cheap place it might be €1.30, but definitely no lower. This holiday I filled up at a gas station in Switzerland, and that was around €1.06 per liter, and I thought that was rediculously cheap.

EDIT: I agree with sbc, gas should me more expensive. Use of fuel economic cars (or simply not using a car at all) should be encouraged as much as possible.

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

Wow you guys are so nice that this is at the expense of all the people in LA because of the Hurricane....

• User profile image
    Michael Griffiths

Cybermagellan wrote:
    Wow you guys are so nice that this is at the expense of all the people in LA because of the Hurricane....

Well, the USA does pay an exceedingly low amount for gas.

A liter is 4 gallons. So if you're paying 1.50 in Euros, that's ~6 euros to the gallon. It's more when you factor in currency conversion.

Last I checked, we're paying ~$3.00 per gallon for Premium. But, that was last week - not sure what it is now. (I just checked: lowest is $2.72 for standard; mode is $2.79).

• User profile image
    Michael Griffiths

Beer28 wrote:
    That's really bad. Much worse than Canada, and we have it really bad here too. For some reason gas prices were always disproportionatly low in the US, especially in the south, and I guess now they are catching up to the rest of the world.

Well, no.

It's directly related to Hurricane Katrina and the complete devestation it's caused. Hundreds of oil platforms were moved or destroyed, transportation lines were stalled, etc.

After the recovery, gas prices should return to normal over... well, a fair amount of time. No one likes to lower their prices. Tongue Out

[quote user="Beer28"I bet those people that bought an SUV in the SUV craze of the past 4 years are really kicking themselves now. They must be hard to sell.[/quote]

Nah, most SUV buyers said gas prices didn't affect their purchase decision. I can't remember the exact percentage, but it was damn high.

It's probably changed a bit now, but I'd still guess a majority don't regret their purchases.

• User profile image
    Michael Griffiths

Beer28 wrote:
    how much is diesel over there?

Diesel is more expensive than standard gas.

Other than that, not sure :O

• User profile image
    Cairo

Beer28 wrote:
    how much is diesel over there?

Currently between $2.50 and $3.00 per gallon ($0.65 to $0.79 per litre, 0.53 to 0.65 euro/litre).

Mostly only large trucks use Diesel around here.

• User profile image
    Cairo

There are 3.8 litres per gallon. That means that gas here is currently $0.813/litre. That works out to 0.666 Euro/litre.

Other prices (euros/liter):
    Sweden: 1.22
    Switzerland: 0.99
    Poland: 1.06
    UK: 1.27

So I'm paying about half of what people in the UK or Sweden do.

in Atlanta, Georgia, it's $5.57/gal. That's $1.47/litre, or 1.20 euro/litre.

So Atlanteans are about even with the high prices in Europe.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Michael Griffiths wrote:
    Beer28 wrote:how much is diesel over there?

Other than that, not sure

Not by much though. But don't forget that on a Miles-Per-Gallon basis, Diesels consume less fuel. So they often work out being cheaper.

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

Is there a standard converting tool for currencies out there?

I was pretty much bored out my skull and after the last thread about VAT and stuff I was just wondering if there was a site that you could use to convert from one currency to another? If not I think I would write one.

• User profile image
    blindlizard

Cybermagellan wrote:

I was pretty much bored out my skull and after the last thread about VAT and stuff I was just wondering if there was a site that you could use to convert from one currency to another? If not I think I would write one.
    The problem is you have to know the days exchange rates.  Yahoo does it for you though http://finance.yahoo.com/currency/convert?amt=1&from=EUR&to=USD&submit=Convert

beer28 wrote:
    I'm so glad Americans finally know how Canadians have felt for the past 20 years.
    They never cared when Canadians had to pay super high prices.
    We didn't care because you didn't care.  Your prices are higher than ours due to taxes.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Cybermagellan wrote:
    Is there a standard converting tool for currencies out there?.

XE

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Michael Griffiths wrote:
    Beer28 wrote: how much is diesel over there?

The crap? Diesel is much cheaper here. A quick search tells me that currently Shell Royal Dutch Petroleum will charge €1.47 for a liter of Super 95 unleaded (which is what most cars run on), and €1.12 for a liter of Diesel.

LPG (autogas) is the cheapest (makes sense, it's the most environmentally friendly) at a mere €0.52 per liter. Unfortunately, converting a car to LPG is expensive (although, depending on how much you drive, the difference in price can pay back the initial expense within a year) and much of a hassle. To make matters worse, LPG tanks needs special mounts which are not always compatible when you go abroad. Bit of a downer when it turns out you can't fill up your nice LPG car when you're in France (or something). Smiley

• User profile image
    wkempf

blindlizard wrote:
    We didn't care because you didn't care.  Your prices are higher than ours due to taxes.

One of several reasons.  Another is that our cost of distribution is much lower, thanks to the pipeline.

• User profile image
    Manip

Michael Griffiths wrote:

Nah, most SUV buyers said gas prices didn't affect their purchase decision. I can't remember the exact percentage, but it was damn high.

It's probably changed a bit now, but I'd still guess a majority don't regret their purchases.

That is like asking people - "Is your house purchase decision based on the number of monsters?" - If there are zero monsters you will find that next to 0% will say that it DOES effect their purchase decision but as soon as you throw in a few monsters and ask that question again that percentage will change very quickly.

The second it costs them $30 more a week to fill their tanks you ask that question again and your discover how many REALLY care.

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

Manip wrote:

The second it costs them $30 more a week to fill their tanks you ask that question again and your discover how many REALLY care.

Even if not...most people who own SUVs can also afford to pay a good ammount for fuel. The ones that can't (a few of my friends) know they did it to themselves and carpool with as many friends as they can...with a donation of course.

• User profile image
    Karim

Cybermagellan wrote:

There's one called "Google" Big Smile

You can just type whatever you want to convert in the Google search box, e.g.

• 3.5 USD in GBP
  • currency of Brazil in Malaysian money
  • 5 British pounds in South Korean money
  • 2.2 USD per gallon in INR per litre

You can also do unit conversions & math:

• 5+2*2
  • 2^20
  • sqrt(-4)
  • half a cup in teaspoons
  • 160 pounds * 4000 feet in Calories

And you can look up word definitions...

I still haven't figured out, though, whether the math calculations are based on real math, or simply on what the most popular answers are Wink

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.