Coffeehouse Thread

47 posts

My Heartless Hurricane Blog Post

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

    I figured I'm the only one that probably has a "devil may care" attitude about hurricane Katrina so I decided to blog a little paragraph about it.

    http://journals.aol.com/cybermagellan/BetaLife

    If you feel otherwise or the same go ahead and post your blog here for your articles if you'd like other people to read them...just one mans opinion.



  • User profile image
    Dr. Shim

    It's almost like saying that somebody deserves to be bombed because they live around people. People are prone to bomb other people, aren't they? Look at all those previous bombings! It's fact that it happens.

    Or how about those African tribes people? They could be attacked by lions, since lions are prelevent in their area. And if they are attacked by some lions, is it really their fault for not forseeing it?

    It wouldn't make sense, however, for anybody to hang around if there was a 100% chance of something bad happening. If a horde of millions of lions were to stampede a village and everyone knew precisely when it would happen, then it would be ridiculous to hang around!

  • User profile image
    kappel

    Hi, I read your post, but feel I should respond here.  Your self-described heartless blog entry reveals your ignorance to poverty in those areas, both urban and rural.  Last night, an MSNBC anchor noted that this disaster came at the end of the month, and for people living paycheck-to-paycheck [<sarcasm>yeah, hard to imagine in such a modern age, huh?</sarcasm>] it may not have been feasible to travel to a shelter (esp., in the more remote/rural areas).  Additionally, these people do not probably have the means for insurance premiums.  So, really, your post makes a couple assumptions that are simply unacceptable and unfair to possibly a majority of the affected.

    Now, if you were talking about people well above the poverty line, with friends/family outside of the affected areas who could provide shelter, with the means to move and pay insurance premiums, I might agree with you.  Living in demonstrably and historically precarious areas completely by choice and then later collecting taxpayer funds to rebuild would not be very fair.  However, I am ignorant to how much government aid these people would get vs. how much insurance would pay/if such insurance is available/etc.  Anyone, know about this?  I'm looking at you, Floridians.  That said, taxpayer funds have gone to worse things than rebuilding homes after tragedies: http://www.cagw.org/site/PageServer?pagename=reports_pigbook2005

    From the moral high ground,
    kappel

  • User profile image
    Manip

    I didn't read your post because you're just another link-dropper who loves his own blog, here is a clue nobody else cares.

  • User profile image
    Sabot

    I understand what you are saying Cybermagallen, I'm just not sure if this is the best time to be asking this question.

    Personally you wouldn't have seen my arse for dust in the same situation, but then I don't believe we have all the facts to hand. For example I did hear a story were individuals were trying to escape but weren't successful so they took refuge in a house that was later effected.

    There is a time and place for your question, it may not be right not but it is a valid one that should be asked at the right time.

  • User profile image
    Sabot

    Manip wrote:
    I didn't read your post because you're just another link-dropper who loves his own blog, here is a clue nobody else cares.


    A bit harsh Manip!

    Breath in .... breath out ... breath in ... breath out ...

    Perplexed

  • User profile image
    Nata1

    That was the most ignorant and Arrogant post ever.

    I wish I could go to some event in your past or your parents past, change one minor detail so you would be living in a life of poverty where you can't afford insurance, where you don't have the Means to move.

    The funny thing is, that with just a minor change of events somewhere in your past or your parents past, you would be exactly that stupid person who didn't move.

  • User profile image
    eagle

    When the aquifer that keeps you alive runs dry you will cry, cry, cry.

  • User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

    Wow such anger in some of these responses...let me give you a clue...

    I make $22,000 a year roughly and that is with my 4 kids and wife, I have a broken down truck and I'm about $5,000 in debt...I KNOW POOR.

    However this still doesn't escape the fact that you have feet, nor does it escape the fact that sometimes you have to do things you normally wouldn't do in that situation. Before you go on saying that I'm evil for my post consider this...if given the fact that you were going to die if you didn't leave a place what would you do to survive?

    Not only that but what is there to stay for? Now nothing, what was there to lose? Alot.

    You say it's not the right time to say these things....when is? When it happens again?

  • User profile image
    Nata1

    I found your post to be pretty.... but after reading Tonatiúh post I guess I see where you're coming from but the delivery was bad.

    Your right in the fact that there needs to be a better disaster eduction program - when people hear that a category 5 hurricane is coming their way, they need to get out.  But we also need a way to move a million people out of an area within a day or two.  Is That possible?  Sure - but pretty crazy if you ask me.

    We could lump that in with the war on terror which gets all the big bucks even though it isn't as big a threat as mother nature.

  • User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

    Yeah I admit that I was pretty blunt about it...but I'm getting pretty upset over people (especially those in the "zone") that are like were being treated like animals, or some similar statement to that.

    You stayed, animals when they feel a threat are smart enough to run. We have FREAKIN WEATHER FORECASTING! Comon now!

    Anyways yeah after that and earthquakes in CA, Hurricanes in Flordia, Forest Fires here in AZ, the common sense just gets to a point where you ask why people aren't doing this.

  • User profile image
    blindlizard

    I have read your blog but I think you ae missing some important things.  Meteroroligists have been telling New Orleans residents every year, XYZ hurricane is coming, get out the city is going to flood.  Some people leave, others stay, but, every year the big one never comes.  You cannot really blame people for not listening to the "boy who cried wolf scenario" anymore.  Also, you need to relize, some peopel fled the hurricane and then came back when it looked like it was over.  Then the flood came days later.

    I would agree though that I hope they don't rebuild New Orleans.  Let the water reclame it like the landscape is trying to do.  Make a new New Orleans somewhere else.  It just seems to dangerous to try to build a city in a lake bed.

    You really can't blame people for living there because the history goes back hundreds of years.  Our nations commerce owes alot to the port of New Orleans and the Mississippi river.  I just hope they take this chance to move the city.

  • User profile image
    Karim

    Cybermagellan wrote:
    I figured I'm the only one that probably has a "devil may care" attitude about hurricane Katrina so I decided to blog a little paragraph about it.


    You seem kind of curiously proud about this.  Your blog post is called "I'm going to make everyone hate me," then you start a thread on C9 to brag about how "heartless" you are some more.  "Oooh, oooh, you're so bad, you're so heartless."  Is that what you want?

    I'm sure whenever those folks finally get ahold of food and water, whenever they're done wading through human filth and floating dead bodies, whenever they're done being cooped up in places like the Superdome which is itself surrounded by three feet of water, and where a 10-year-old girl was raped recently -- whenever they're done waiting for the water to recede, surviving the subsequent disease epidemics, burying their dead and trying to figure out how they're going to replace all their material possessions and start life all over again -- I'm sure the VERY SECOND they're done with all their suffering, they are going to go online, go STRAIGHT to your blog and take all the wonderful advice you've given them about taking their nonexistent flood insurance payments and moving somewhere else.

    Happy now, tough guy?

  • User profile image
    Tonatiúh

    Is spoken criticism the way to put valuable hands on helping?

    Is that taking the risk of been blamed by have proposed the wrong solution deserves been blamed?

  • User profile image
    Minh

    Cybermagellan wrote:
    I KNOW POOR.
    This only proves that you CAN be poor and an A. Hole at the same time. I just don't know what else to say after reading your blog post. I may contribute something else later.

  • User profile image
    Karim

    Tonatiúh wrote:
    Is spoken criticism the way to put valuable hands on helping?


    Good point.  Instead of wasting more time in this thread, I'm going over to www.worldvision.org and punch in my credit card number.  Better use of a keyboard.

  • User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

    Karim wrote:
    I'm sure the VERY SECOND they're done with all their suffering, they are going to go online, go STRAIGHT to your blog and take all the wonderful advice you've given them about taking their nonexistent flood insurance payments and moving somewhere else.

    Happy now, tough guy?


    No, they wont...they'll rebuild again...and next year or the year after...LA will flood again and they'll cry how bad and horrible it all is. And the goverment and people will continue to donate their monies still.

    Repeat the cycle two years from then.

    I know how people are and everyone is like "Woe is LA" and such...sadly I just speak my opinion and I just look at things logically. If that makes me and A hole then fine...I just say it the way I see it.

  • User profile image
    TommyCarlier

    OK, so according to you, people who live in areas that are risky are stupid for not moving. Where should they go? To safer areas? How many really safe areas are there? And if everybody moves to safer areas, wouldn't it get really crowded there?

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.