Coffeehouse Thread

33 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

.PNG's for avatars

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    moofish

That's right why not allow PNG's for avatars, the official C9 ones are PNG but anything uploaded is automatically converted to a JPG. For an avatar like mine that is almost completely made from vectors its a real let down to have it disfigured.

Anyone else feel the same?

• User profile image
    W3bbo

PNG is a purely raster format, PNG doesn't support vectors.

You're probably using Fireworks, Fireworks PNG files are not related to "real" PNG files in any way.

• User profile image
    moofish

PNG's are much crisper than JPG's. I'm using Freehand, for as long as it is supported. if not PNG's then what would you suggest be a viable replacement for JPG's?

• User profile image
    Stebet

PNG are lossless. Give us PNG's. They aren't that big :/

Especially sice the jpg encoder in the .NET framework is utter crap Sad

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

moofish wrote:
    PNG's are much crisper than JPG's.

That's just because PNG is a lossless codec while JPG is lossy. This also means that for photos JPG is far more efficient than PNG, while PNG is better at diagrams and other stuff that contains large areas of the same colour.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Stebet wrote:
    PNG are lossless. Give us PNG's. They aren't that big :/

Especially sice the jpg encoder in the .NET framework is utter crap

Only if you use the default settings. With some tweaking you can get the quality up drastically. I do it in the Avatar Creator, it's not that hard.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

moofish wrote:
    PNG's are much crisper than JPG's. I'm using Freehand, for as long as it is supported. if not PNG's then what would you suggest be a viable replacement for JPG's?

Oh sorry, I thought you were using Fireworks (a well-known hybrid Vector/Bitmap program), which saves its files with a PNG extension for some reason.

Well, an alternative to JPEG is JPEG2000 Wink

• User profile image
    Stebet

Sven Groot wrote:
    Only if you use the default settings. With some tweaking you can get the quality up drastically. I do it in the Avatar Creator, it's not that hard.

True. But it's still a helluva lot worse than the jpg's Photoshop can create.

• User profile image
    Wells

Yeah, I think Fireworks stores all its vector information in the png metadata.  You can still use the png as a png, but it ain't a vector image.

• User profile image
    moofish

I am concerned about the grey around the avater, I had to change it from the original yellow (which many still have), as JPG's don't support transparencies.

I just don't see how C9 can have PNG's and the people who make it up can't

• User profile image
    moofish

Anyway, why not support SVG (Scalable Vector Graphics) the future graphic web format

• User profile image
    W3bbo

moofish wrote:
    Anyway, why not support SVG (Scalable Vector Graphics) the future graphic web format

IE does, with Adobe's optional SVG add-in. Opera works with it too, IIRC.

...as for Mozilla and Gecko, *cough*, well there's been a massive flamewar on their bugzilla entry on it, I'd wait 'till after the merger for Adobe to release something that works.

• User profile image
    ZippyV

W3bbo wrote:
    moofish wrote: Anyway, why not support SVG (Scalable Vector Graphics) the future graphic web format

IE does, with Adobe's optional SVG add-in. Opera works with it too, IIRC.

...as for Mozilla and Gecko, *cough*, well there's been a massive flamewar on their bugzilla entry on it, I'd wait 'till after the merger for Adobe to release something that works.
    Link, LINK!

• User profile image
    moofish

Support or not, the whole point of this thread was that standard C9 avatars are PNG's so why can't the ones uploaded be that too, and not restricted to JPG's.

My gripe still stands.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

moofish wrote:
    Support or not, the whole point of this thread was that standard C9 avatars are PNG's so why can't the ones uploaded be that too, and not restricted to JPG's.

My gripe still stands.

Send an email to Adam Kinney or Charles then.

• User profile image
    Maurits

Or start a wiki petition for PNG avatars... see who you can get to sign it.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Maurits wrote:
    Or start a wiki petition for PNG avatars... see who you can get to sign it.

Remember this?

• User profile image
    Tensor

Best petition ever.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.