Coffeehouse Thread

59 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

C9 Zero Tolerance - 3 strikes you're out?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jamie

for being disrespectful / spamming the board with useless threads

:O 1st offence - account locked for 24 hrs

Expressionless 2nd offence - account locked for a week

[C] 3rd offence - account deleted (all threads) IP banned

• User profile image
    Maurits

Embarassed

• User profile image
    W3bbo

jamie wrote:
    IP banned

Bad idea.

Most script-kiddie trolls are usually on AOL or some other "parental control friendly" ISP that dishes out dynamic IP addresses. I've been stung by bans based on IP addresses when the purpetrator used a dynamic address.

• User profile image
    Skeeterbug

W3bbo wrote:
    jamie wrote: IP banned

Bad idea.

Most script-kiddie trolls are usually on AOL or some other "parental control friendly" ISP that dishes out dynamic IP addresses. I've been stung by bans based on IP addresses when the purpetrator used a dynamic address.

Dynamic IP isn't the problem, you can ban a whole subnet if you want. Problem is proxies, I have been banned from a site and just used a proxy to get around it. So many public http proxies around. Smiley

• User profile image
    Manip

Not even to mention how easily anyone can get themselves a anonymous proxy server.

Edit: Just fyi I don't give a dam if Orbit calls me an "Idiot" I am thick skinned and have been called a lot worse.

• User profile image
    Maurits

Skeeterbug wrote:
    Dynamic IP isn't the problem, you can ban a whole subnet if you want.

It's a problem for all the legitimate users on that subnet.

• User profile image
    Detroit Muscle

I have an idea for you, Jamie, how about you get the sand out of your (I need to watch my language)? Are you offended by foul language and name calling on the Internet? Are you upset you can't win a debate on Channel 9?

• User profile image
    Larsenal

Detroit Muscle wrote:
    I have an idea for you, Jamie, how about you get the sand out of your (I need to watch my language)? Are you offended by foul language and name calling on the Internet? Are you upset you can't win a debate on Channel 9?

I think most mature/reasonable Niners will agree that C9 is about learning through thoughtful discussion.  It's certainly not about "winning."

• User profile image
    jamie

nanite wrote:
    After reading jamie's referenced post, I think he'd deserve at least a 24 hour ban too.  No special cases.

*that thread I replied too to make a point where he was spamming a different thread

ok - i ban myself till tuesday - or after long weekend
    see ya!  have fun fighting!

• User profile image
    Rossj

I actually think Jamie is right. I don't think it is so much the foul language, but that you have to wade through tons of crap to get to the interesting bits.

If you haven't seen a change in C9 in the past few weeks/months then you've probably not been here long.  Ask anyone who has been here over 6 months whether the C9 forums are now better or worse than before, I think most answers will be negative.

C9 is losing valued contributors with interesting and relevant things to say because children are allowed to treat the forums as their personal playground, with no boundaries on the amount of abuse being dished out - see the thread where Orbit threatens to set someone on fire for example.

As for Jamie winning a debate, it is starting to be a long time since I've seen one on C9, so he hasn't had the chance - they may be there but they get buried beneath a lot of crud, insults and general childishness.

Okay, I'll get off my soapbox now.

• User profile image
    jamie

thanks rossj

EVERYONE go away for the weekend - leave computer alone! Smiley

till tues....

• User profile image
    jsrfc58

Must log in...must post...must debate...

Some threads are getting swamped with junk lately, but unlike normal drive-by-posting trolls who post a few times and never come back, some here seem to have taken up residence.  Maybe the word "some" is too much; it seems more like it is only one or two people under multiple screen names. Then, when they go, others complain how boring it is, and "where'd the Linux guy go? He was SO knowledgable." 

Besides if you ban someone, they'll probably sign up under another screen name.  And another.  And another.  Sort of a pathological thing I guess.

When was the last time Larry Osterman posted, for instance?  It seems like even the Microsoft people are not posting much anymore.  Maybe in the videos section, but not in the Coffeehouse.  Probably PDC related, I dunno.

• User profile image
    Rossj

jsrfc58 wrote:

where'd the Linux guy go? He was SO knowledgable.

You don't know how much I regret asking where Beer28 was the time before last when he left - or was it the time before that? I can't remember.

I don't know if I am imagining it, but at one time he wasn't such a troll.  I think his ego probably got the better of him.  Now I don't understand why someone who uses *no* software from the owner of the forum would waste their time here - does he hope to learn something? Somehow I think he's just here because he thinks he can persuade people to switch to Linux, however misguided or pointless (plenty people here already use it) that might be.

• User profile image
    Manip

If you go back and look at some of the early threads on C9 it was like you could expect some Microsoft guy to post in all threads... Not just Larry and Johnathan but lots of people from different teams... Now we have two Microsoft guys posting (plus C9 team).

• User profile image
    MasterPi

jamie wrote:
    thanks rossj

EVERYONE go away for the weekend - leave computer alone!

till tues....

Well, erm...do you think you can check out my email I sent first, before you leave? Tongue Out

And anyways, in your defense, I see no connection between you and the degredation of this forum.  In fact, I see you more of the watchdog of these forums (mazie being the apprentice).

Keep it up! Smiley

mVPstar

• User profile image
    Oberon

I think erring on the side of leniency is best. It doesn't need to be tolerated for as long as Orbit has, but three strikes and you're out is way too strict. This is just a forum for Pete's sake. Orbit86 is guilty of being insulting and obnoxious, not armed robbery. I'd much prefer someone like Charles over a lock/ban-happy admin who thinks he is going to fix Channel9 by cracking down on "inappropriate" behaviour.

And what exactly are the guidelines that dictate when someone has gone too far? Better be clear about it.

I find the political / religious posts to be way more offensive than anything Beer28 or Orbit86 have said. It is not the topics that are bad, but the insults and demagoguery used by the people who start those threads. Topics like "Bush is a moron" or the ridiculous anti-religious tirade by a guy who blows his stack because someone made a Biblical reference. Those posts have no purpose except to insult the object of the posters hatred and start a fight.

• User profile image
    Charles

Banning is a process that will only happen on Channel 9 when:

1. A Niner spams the site with offensive images/text
    2. A Niner is chronically disprectful of other Niners
    3. A Niner spams the site with advertisements
    4. A Niner threatens physical harm on another Niner

We are not going to design some sort of banning algorithm. Sorry, jamie.

This is all based on a pretty basic notion: be respectful.

Keep on posting,
    C

• User profile image
    Tyler Brown

Charles wrote:
    Banning is a process that will only happen on Channel 9 when:

1. A Niner spams the site with offensive images/text
    2. A Niner is chronically disprectful of other Niners
    3. A Niner spams the site with advertisements
    4. A Niner threatens physical harm on another Niner

We are not going to design some sort of banning algorithm. Sorry, jamie.

This is all based on a pretty basic notion: be respectful.

Keep on posting,
    C

Pardon my ignorance... but doesn't Orbit86 fit the bill? The only thing he hasn't done is spammed the site with advertisements...

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.