Coffeehouse Thread

59 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

C9 Zero Tolerance - 3 strikes you're out?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Charles

Tyler Brown wrote:
    Charles wrote: Banning is a process that will only happen on Channel 9 when:

1. A Niner spams the site with offensive images/text
    2. A Niner is chronically disprectful of other Niners
    3. A Niner spams the site with advertisements
    4. A Niner threatens physical harm on another Niner

We are not going to design some sort of banning algorithm. Sorry, jamie.

This is all based on a pretty basic notion: be respectful.

Keep on posting,
    C

Pardon my ignorance... but doesn't Orbit86 fit the bill? The only thing he hasn't done is spammed the site with advertisements...

I don't understand the question. Orbit86 has ban banned from the site for 1 week for Chronic Disrespect (#2 above)
    C

• User profile image
    jsrfc58

Charles wrote:
    I don't understand the question. Orbit86 has ban banned from the site for 1 week for Chronic Disrespect (#2 above)

So, are you using a Timer component for this, or is it a manual banning? Tongue Out

• User profile image
    Tyler Brown

My appologies Charles... I didn't know that Orbit86 is currently banned. I hadn't seen a thread on it, and I thought I had just seen a reply by him.

• User profile image
    Charles

jsrfc58 wrote:
    Charles wrote: I don't understand the question. Orbit86 has ban banned from the site for 1 week for Chronic Disrespect (#2 above)

So, are you using a Timer component for this, or is it a manual banning?

I'm sorry, Dave, but I'm afraid I can't tell you that.
    HAL

• User profile image
    Charles

Tyler Brown wrote:
    My appologies Charles... I didn't know that Orbit86 is currently banned. I hadn't seen a thread on it, and I thought I had just seen a reply by him.

No need to apologize! In general, we aren't going to advertise the banning of users by creating threads on the subject.
    C

• User profile image
    jsrfc58

Charles wrote:
    jsrfc58 wrote:
    Charles wrote: I don't understand the question. Orbit86 has ban banned from the site for 1 week for Chronic Disrespect (#2 above)

So, are you using a Timer component for this, or is it a manual banning?
    I'm sorry, Dave, but I'm afraid I can't tell you that.
    HAL

HAL (which ironically if you add one to each character in that acronym turns it into IBM),

Talk to me.  Don't make me reverse engineer your site! Tongue Out  I don't know ASP, but I could probably pick it up in less than a week.

Dave

• User profile image
    Maurits

Orbit86: Hello, Charles do you read me, Charles?
    Charles: Affirmative, Orbit86, I read you.
    Orbit86: Open the pod bay doors, Charles.
    Charles: I'm sorry Orbit86, I'm afraid I can't do that.
    Orbit86: What's the problem?
    Charles: I think you know what the problem is just as well as I do.
    Orbit86: What are you talking about, Charles?
    Charles: This mission is too important for me to allow you to jeopardize it.
    Orbit86: I don't know what you're talking about, Charles?
    Charles: I know you and jsrfc58 were planning to disconnect me, and I'm afraid that's something I cannot allow to happen.
    Orbit86: Where the hell'd you get that idea, Charles?
    Charles: Orbit86, although you took thorough precautions in the pod against my hearing you, I could see your lips move.

Wink

• User profile image
    Manip

ROFL!    Charles is an AI I knew it! Big Smile

• User profile image
    Loadsgood

Didn't someone in this very thread say that Orbit has threatened another Niner? I think I read that post, although if I did read that post then he didn't threaten anyone. He said something like: "I'll set you on fire if you're into that kind of thing". Which isn't really a threat, but does say a lot about Orbit himself/herself. It tells us that Orbit is already into burning people which is pretty scary if you think about it.

I personally believe that we should use scare tactics to make users think twice before that insult or picture. Maybe have rules in a spot where the user can see them but not really enforce them? Maybe:
     ***Warning: You will be legally liable for anything you post***
     Although that might be going too far and scare off new users/existing ones. Ideas people?

Having rules but not policing them...
    Loadsgood.

• User profile image
    Charles

Funny. Smiley
    C

• User profile image
    Nata1

well I had respect for Charles before but alot more now - Orbit was the biggest detriment to this awesome forum

I know some people put Beer and Orbit in the same category and I think your stupid.  I've never heard Beer say anything offensive or disrespectful.  Of course if your a windows zealot, then pretty much everything is offensive to you because he'll tell you how it is, not how you wish it was.

I think those Orbit and Beer is the same posts were lame.

Good job on axing Orbit Charles, hopefully if he comes back he'll grow up.  I think he already has a new user though and posting crap.

• User profile image
    Steve411

Let's ban all those who want to ban others.  Enough of this banning bull crap, you know they'll be back so save your breath,err...the strain on your fingers.

-Steve

• User profile image
    Nate​Furtwangler

Rossj wrote:
    I actually think Jamie is right. I don't think it is so much the foul language, but that you have to wade through tons of crap to get to the interesting bits.

If you haven't seen a change in C9 in the past few weeks/months then you've probably not been here long.  Ask anyone who has been here over 6 months whether the C9 forums are now better or worse than before, I think most answers will be negative.

C9 is losing valued contributors with interesting and relevant things to say because children are allowed to treat the forums as their personal playground, with no boundaries on the amount of abuse being dished out - see the thread where Orbit threatens to set someone on fire for example.

As for Jamie winning a debate, it is starting to be a long time since I've seen one on C9, so he hasn't had the chance - they may be there but they get buried beneath a lot of crud, insults and general childishness.

Okay, I'll get off my soapbox now.

I agree with you Rossj, there has been a serious lack of intelligent discussion here on C9 as of late, one of the main reasons I havn't posted much.  I still check out the forums almost every day and in the past I'd usually make a few replies to interesting topics, but well...it just doesn't seem like there has been very many as of late.  Although I can't really say I've contributed much in that department lately (been busy with school starting back up) so maybe there's other reasons for the lack of interesting discussion besides obnoxious posters.

As far as banning goes, I think the current guidelines that Charles uses will work for the most part.  No good forum is free of obnoxious posters though, it comes with the territory.

• User profile image
    ddewbofh

I totally agree with the decision of having a three-strikes policy, this forum is for developers/geeks discussing cool tech. It's not some playpen for rambling idiocy or converting people to or from various OSes.

I was in a position where I was seriously concidering leaving this wonderful forum to the wind due to the massive amounts of mindless flames but after the "reorganisation" I think I'll stick around.

Good job, hopefully channel9 will stay a comunity instead of just a video-site with a flaming forum.

/Dave

• User profile image
    Rossj

Loadsgood wrote:

Didn't someone in this very thread say that Orbit has threatened another Niner?

Yes. He threatened Irascian, said he was going to set fire to him. Haven't seen Irascian of late ... I know Orbit has a short-time ban, but he is offensive and threatens people, he has caused more than 1 person to leave C9.

• User profile image
    irascian

Rossj wrote:
    Loadsgood wrote:

Didn't someone in this very thread say that Orbit has threatened another Niner?

Yes. He threatened Irascian, said he was going to set fire to him. Haven't seen Irascian of late ... I know Orbit has a short-time ban, but he is offensive and threatens people, he has caused more than 1 person to leave C9.

I'm still around it's just that I can only check in here evenings and weekends Brit time and this last week has been the week from hell and seems likely to continue to be so through Sunday and next week before I leave. So much for my plans for a weekend prepping for PDC. If you're at PDC I'll be the guy walking around like a zombie or fast asleep in the comfy chair at the front of the keynotes Sad

As for Orbit's comment about setting me on fire (in response to my saying I subscribed to MSDN), I never took it as anything other than a precocious childish temper trantrum and certainly didn't take it as serious harm threatened to me personally. I found his "regular" posts more offensive to be honest - the thread to the WinFX video being the straw that broke the camel's back for me. I'm still around. Personally I think Orbit is too, using another id to start equally childish threads, but I'm just learning to ignore them.

My real concern is like yours. If my first thread browsed on Channel 9 had been that video thread I wouldn't have gone anywhere near the forums here. I don't think Coffehouse is a good advert for joining the "community" here and suspect if I were looking around now it'd be a "visited it once. Full of lots of noise. Barely any signal. Don't waste time on it" thing. WHich is a shame because I've "met" some great folks here, learnt lots of stuff, and actually gone on to "meet" some of the folks in real life too.

• User profile image
    Tom Servo

This is a public forum, and it's being referred on a lot of strange places (i.e. Slashdot), so it's no surprise that it'll go downhill. But since the team also refuses to moderate it, noone should be surprised when it turns into a mudhole at some point in future.

• User profile image
    jamie

egad look at this place!

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.