Coffeehouse Thread

59 posts

C9 Zero Tolerance - 3 strikes you're out?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    billh

jamie wrote:
    egad look at this place!

"This used to be a family type place, y'all."

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Tom Servo wrote:
    But since the team also refuses to moderate it, noone should be surprised when it turns into a mudhole at some point in future.

I know, 'tis a shame.

Charles et al.: We're not asking you to moderate the place, just asking if you would like to pick 2 or 3 trusted individuals to do the day-to-day work of rooting out the trolls.

Perhaps just limit them to locking topics and giving 6 hour bans. You guys would remain the "Power Moderators" who can delete topics and give permabans.

What do you say? you can't deny the place needs moderation, especilly with people like Willy Duit struting around the forums with no-one in place to curtail his activities.

• User profile image
    footballism

The quality of this forum is really decreased due to a lot of reasons, and I should be blamed for this too, I can behave well without talking about politics, but when It comes to politics and Chinese civil rights, I just cannot restrain myself, sorry for my misbehaviour here[C]

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

footballism wrote:
    The quality of this forum is really decreased due to a lot of reasons, and I should be blamed for this too, I can behave well without talking about politics, but when It comes to politics and Chinese civil rights, I just cannot restrain myself, sorry for my misbehaviour here

Geez-Louise people.  If you navel-gaze any harder, you're gonna hurt your neck.  

This is an anything goes forum and it hasn't gone downhill at all.  We've lived through a couple of hijackings complete with some of the raunchiest photos I've ever seen.  We've lost Beer like 5 times or so and each time, it takes me weeks to stop weeping.

Other than a few slip-ups and the rare verbal smackdown, I've enjoyed ignoring Orbit.  It's given me a chance to practice avoiding conversations with street people and prosteletyzing evangelists.  

This is probably a more USA'ian attitude, but if we attempt to censor the forums using moderators of any kind, we'll end up with people gaming the system and eventually, the power will go to somebody's head and we'll end up divided into camps under each of our favorite mods.  I'm looking at you W3bbo Smiley  

Maybe we can practice other psychological games on the trolls that show up.  I know that when a Telemarketer calls my house, I like to ask them to repeat themselves over and over and over again until they get the point and hang up.

• User profile image
    footballism

ScanIAm wrote:
    footballism wrote:The quality of this forum is really decreased due to a lot of reasons, and I should be blamed for this too, I can behave well without talking about politics, but when It comes to politics and Chinese civil rights, I just cannot restrain myself, sorry for my misbehaviour here

Geez-Louise people.  If you navel-gaze any harder, you're gonna hurt your neck.  

You are deliberately using some sort of alien words to scare a foreigner away, uh?
    Care to elaborate?

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

Sorry Smiley

Geez-Louise is kind of a nice way of taking the christian god's son's name in vain.

Geez (pronounced like geeeeez, rhymes with bees)

Louise (pronounced like Loo-eeeeez, rhymes with 2 bees)

The alternative is probably going to offend people (Jebus Crist) and was much harsher than neccessary.

I hope that helps.

• User profile image
    Charles

This is YOUR place. If you want to turn it into a pile of mud, then you have only yourselves to blame.

I'm really growing weary of all the immature and pointless threads that have started recently. Sometimes I think Coffeehouse was a bad idea and we should remove it. Lack of moderation is NOT the problem. The problem is the growing number of disrespectful Niners that have shown up lately. We are and will continue to ban the most egregious offenders and I am currently designing a new moderation strategy to counteract the lameness that seems to be proliferating around here.

Disappointed,

Charles

• User profile image
    Maurits

You can only keep an open mind for so long before someone tries to dump their garbage in it. Wink

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

My opinion should probably matter about as much as the paper it's printed on, but moderation isn't going to stop the pain.  It will only stop the extended pain.  If we had been able to ban the fancy lad who posted his homoerotic photos on the forums, we'd still have to have some kind of threshold.  You can't just give absolute power to a mod...mods are people too and as such, subject to the various trappings and disadvantages of power.

So, we'd still have had to look at the photos.  We'd still have had to put up with some very lame attempts at 'big boy cursing' from William.  Hell, you'd still have to put up with my semi-regular drunken rants on a friday up to a point.

All this is to say, leave the moderation to the society itself.  If I came here every day and found that nobody responded to me, I'd eventually give up and find some other place to hang out.  The world needs sociopaths the same way it needs criminals.  We tend to get lazy unless our defenses are tested.

• User profile image
    Minh

Charles wrote:
    This is YOUR place. If you want to turn it into a pile of mud, then you have only yourselves to blame.
    You don't think that's the vocal minority who is mucking it up? Your use of "you" is a bit puzzling here.

• User profile image
    billh

Charles wrote:

I'm really growing weary of all the immature and pointless threads that have started recently. Sometimes I think Coffeehouse was a bad idea and we should remove it. Lack of moderation is NOT the problem. The problem is the growing number of disrespectful Niners that have shown up lately. We are and will continue to ban the most egregious offenders and I am currently designing a new moderation strategy to counteract the lameness that seems to be proliferating around here.

You are preaching to the choir.  The only people that are going to respond to these comments are the ones who are fed up with the lack of moderation.  A troll is going to read your comments and laugh.

And no, I AM NOT TO BLAME FOR TURNING THIS SITE INTO A PILE OF MUD.  If this is nothing more than a marketing site, it is YOUR FAULT, not anybody else's because a marketing only site will, by nature, attract a bunch of trolls. 

I believe you don't want to moderate things because then it would damage your efforts to correct the image problem Microsoft currently has.  The second you moderate this site, is the second the trolls pounce on you stating that Microsoft "controls everything" or "is pure evil in how they communicate". So, you put on this act of not letting things get to you...

• User profile image
    W3bbo

yman wrote:
    This site will of course attract allot of the pro OSS people (* cough Slashdot *) which will make it their duty to ruin the forums for everyone.

Are you accusing F/OSS proponents as being trolls?

• User profile image
    Charles

Give me a break, will you? My use of YOU is not really very puzzling. The point is quite simple: this place is designed for your use and if you misuse it then it's your problem and you will be banned.

"You" is an expression that makes it easy to address a group of individuals. We know that the problem is from a minority of jerks, yep jerks, as the majority of Niners are great C9 citizens and it's wonderful to have them here.

C

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

Comment removed at user's request.

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

• User profile image
    billh

Charles, if you need a chair...

* ducks *

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

I really pity Steve Ballmer. It doesn't even matter anymore if he threw that chair. Take it from me: I once threw a chair in primary school (I had terrible anger management troubles as a child). I did that exactly once. But stories about how I did so every day and at every occasion soon circulated, and I'd get total strangers in the street stopping me to say "hey, you're that guy who throws chairs at school". It became a myth that took on a life of its own.

So, take it from an expert, Ballmer is stuck with this story for a long time. Tongue Out

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.