Coffeehouse Thread

13 posts

Will there be a PDC 2006?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Andre Da Costa

If Windows Vista and Office 12 are expected for release in Q4 of 2006, does that mean there will be a PDC 2006 before they RTM? Or is Microsoft skipping a PDC for next year preferrably wait until 2007?

• User profile image
    MasterPi

I think there will be one in 2006.

• User profile image
    Steve411

Microsoft makes a major release every year (summer?), wether it be a service pack, a new OS release, office release, or anything in between they hold a PDC each year.

- Steve

• User profile image
    keeron

I think MS has a PDC every other year.... they had one in late 2003 and now in late 2005 ... also it usually is around the new technolgy that they are releasing (just showcasing the cool things for developers early on). Office 12 and Vista are heavily showcased (or will be) by PDC 05...so I don't think there is any need for one more PDC next year.

Better to concentrate on the work ahead and releasing these applications / OS in time than spend time (again) on cool demos and talks.

Also, it makes sense to have a PDC post Vista, Whidbey, Office 12 release - and preferably after a gap of 6-8 months. It should give people enough time to sink into these technologies and start preparing for next gen apps (using WinFX, WinFS, VS 2005 tools, etc).

- Keeron  

• User profile image
    Andre Da Costa

Thanks everyone, I suspect we might not see another PDC after 2005 until 2007, but WinHEC 2006 and TechEd should be major events starting engine for the release of these major products.

• User profile image
    Jeremy W

Andre Da Costa wrote:
    Thanks everyone, I suspect we might not see another PDC after 2005 until 2007, but WinHEC 2006 and TechEd should be major events starting engine for the release of these major products.

I'm pretty sure we will, largely due to Vista, Office, IE, etc, releases. PDC's aren't always every other year. Just that traditionally there hasn't been enough "new" happening at once to justify one two years in a row.

• User profile image
    jeffsand

One of the unique things about the PDC is that it doesn't happen every year. 

It happens only when Microsoft has news to make...

-Jeff

• User profile image
    Szokelizer

Just one small hint from http://www.microsoft.com/emea/eventcalendar/default.mspx Big Smile :

September

• Professional Developers Conference, details to come

• User profile image
    Harlequin

jeffsand wrote:
    One of the unique things about the PDC is that it doesn't happen every year. 

It happens only when Microsoft has news to make...

-Jeff

I don't know, after that party at Universal I wouldn't mind if the PDC was a quarterly conference Wink

• User profile image
    eagle

That list missed MIX06, MEDC in Vegas, May 8-11, WinHEC, Seattle May 23-25, TechEd, Boston June 10-16.

• User profile image
    snax01

That list is for events in Europe, the middle east and Africa. 

• User profile image
    Frisky

I asked the question, and got this response,

Frisky
    ---

Hello,

Here is an update on your inquiry.

I am sorry but we do not anticipate having a PDC in 2006. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Did I completely address your issue? Please let us know by replying to this message.

Thank you,

Angie
    Microsoft Online Customer - Service Representative

• User profile image
    raymond

Good Question.

This is just an educated guess from someone who does not work for Microsoft, but does follow what they are doing.

Most likely not for Microsoft was supposed to launch Windows Vista, Office 12 and Expression in November 2006 and PDCs are usually in September when they have one.

With the delay of Vista and Office 2007 until early next year, Microsoft might reconsider having a PDC 2006 to ramp up the buzz or PR for the launch events in 2007.

However, if the delay is due to serious problems with Vista and/or Expression or Office, Microsoft might not want to distract the programmers to prepare for a PDC. 

My guess, no PDC 2006.[C]

The next PDC will most likely be in September 2007 to ramp up for Visual Studio 2007, Windows 2007 (server version) and .Net Framework 3.0 in Novmeber 2007.

Raymond

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.