Coffeehouse Thread

31 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Say hello to your new moderator(s)

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jonathanh

Charles has given a few Channel 9 Microsofties limited moderation powers (I won't say who else, in case they prefer not to exercise them).

Unlike the Channel 9 core team, we don't have full superpowers - I can't ban users, or leap tall buildings in a single bound, or stop a speeding bullet. But we can lock and delete threads and posts, so hopefully the abusive ones won't survive as long.

Since I'm also one of the more vocal Microsofties on Channel 9, this creates the interesting problem of how do you know when I'm being me, and how do you know when I'm being a moderator. For now, I'll post in red when I'm wearing my moderator hat. If I say anything in black, that's just me - so go ahead and treat me as normal, insult me, make me new avatars, etc etc. 
    If I say something in red, that's official superhero-sidekick-moderator mode, e.g. "I locked this thread, don't start it again".

And no, I don't plan to watch every thread, or be on IM 24 hours a day Smiley But I do skim all the titles, so the current tactic of using the equivalent of "Hey, moderators!" as a thread title should still work to get my attention (or one of the other superhero-sidekicks).

• User profile image
    Maurits

Excellent... Smiley

The image “<a href=http://www.cod.edu/dept/athletic/teams/soccer/alumni/_notes/burns.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors." src="http://www.cod.edu/dept/athletic/teams/soccer/alumni/_notes/burns.jpg">

• User profile image
    Loadsgood

Hello to your new moderator(s) Smiley

Yeah, Jonathan you really need a new avatar, that pale skin colour on the edge, clashes with the silver walls. Jamie! He'll be able to keep the faded neck look if he makes you a new one (heck, I could do it, you should be able to as well, but since Jamie is the image making god around these parts we might as well leave it up to him Smiley).

Nice work on getting yourself higher in the ranks, I think Sampy should be a semi-moderator I'd have a good laugh if Larry O. was a semi-moderator as well...

"All hail Jonathan, half-king of the city 9!"
    Loadsgood.

• User profile image
    Charles

Jonathan should have been made a moderator long ago. He's one of the most active and senior MS employees on Channel 9 and soley responsible for the architecture of the C9 Wiki content. Who knows, maybe he'll be granted full admin rights so he can create forums, delete forums, ban users, redesign Channel 9 Smiley

Welcome to the C9 Moderation Team, Jonathan.

Charles

• User profile image
    Oberon

Charles,

Have you noticed that Willy Duitt is listed as the last post on the "PDC- Who is going?" thread even though it looks like his message was deleted? Another bug for your to do list.

• User profile image
    Nata1

Excellent - let me set my photon gun on meaningless drivel Wink

• User profile image
    MasterPi

jonathanh wrote:
    so go ahead and treat me as normal, insult me

Hmmmm.  Cool

BTW Charles, how about that Red Blood Cell offer I made a while ago? To balance out with the Killer T-Cells, a little red blood cell here and there could significantly boost the performance (and the ebullience) of this forum.

I can also be a Red empathic blood cell. [A]

mVPstar

• User profile image
    Manip

I have a good idea about the kind of people who made mod... Those that post rarely with insightful comments... It is easy to be insightful and clever if you don't post often, but reguardless I just hope this group show up a lot more so they can better do their jobs.

I know Johnathen isn't one of these people and believe he will do a good job. He knows when a thread has gone too far.

• User profile image
    jamie

HELLO!  Smiley

(great news - thanks)

• User profile image
    Charles

Oberon wrote:
    Charles,

Have you noticed that Willy Duitt is listed as the last post on the "PDC- Who is going?" thread even though it looks like his message was deleted? Another bug for your to do list.

Yeah. Working on that.
    C

EDIT: Fixed.

• User profile image
    Nata1

Hello too - I wanted to say, awesome, and awesome move!

Nice to have Jonathan, much needed Smiley

• User profile image
    Nata1

as Scoble says, you get to be forum mommy Smiley

• User profile image
    Michael Griffiths

Goody.

Does this mean you'll participate more? Smiley

• User profile image
    Karim

jonathanh wrote:
    this creates the interesting problem of how do you know when I'm being me, and how do you know when I'm being a moderator. For now, I'll post in red when I'm wearing my moderator hat. If I say anything in black, that's just me - so go ahead and treat me as normal, insult me, make me new avatars, etc etc. If I say something in red, that's official superhero-sidekick-moderator mode, e.g. "I locked this thread, don't start it again".

There was a Monty Python skit ("Biggles Dictates a Letter") where it wasn't clear when Biggles was dictating to his secretary, or merely speaking to her:

Biggles: Look. Don't put that down. Just put down - wait a mo - wait a too. [Biggles straps a pair of moose antlers to his head] Now, when I've got these antlers on - when I've got these antlers on I am dictating, and when I take them off [takes off antlers] I am not dictating.

Secretary: [typing] "I am not dictating."

Biggles: What?

[secretary types]

Biggles: [puts antlers back on] Read that back.

Secretary: [reading what she's typed]  "Dear King Haakon, I am not dictating. What?"

I don't know why things constantly remind me of Monty Python skits lately.

Anyway, I was wondering if you considered wearing moose antlers when you were moderating, and not wearing moose antlers when you weren't moderating.  I think it would a much more usREMAINDER OF POST DELETED BY CHANNEL 9 MODERATOR.

• User profile image
    MasterPi

Karim wrote:
     I think it would a much more usREMAINDER OF POST DELETED BY CHANNEL 9 MODERATOR.

Ooh, was someone a bad boy? Cool

mVPstar

• User profile image
    MasterPi

Double Post.

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

Karim wrote:
     I was wondering if you considered wearing moose antlers when you were moderating, and not wearing moose antlers when you weren't moderating. 

I want Scoble to get a picture/video of that.

• User profile image
    jonathanh

Cybermagellan wrote:
    Karim wrote:  I was wondering if you considered wearing moose antlers when you were moderating, and not wearing moose antlers when you weren't moderating. 

I want Scoble to get a picture/video of that.

Ok, but first someone's got to send me a pair of moose antlers... [6]

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.