Coffeehouse Thread

16 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Learning C#

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    mw5300

I am mostly new to programming, however I have done a little PHP work (gasp!) in the past (I got up to objects). I am wondering what is the best way to go about learning C#? It seems most of the books, and tutorials are for Java programmers; I have never touched Java (hopefully I wont have to). Does anyone know of tutorials, books, or other good ways of learning C#?

Thanks guys,
    Mark

• User profile image
    Nata1

Just read the 'Art of Assembly' programming - it uses a language called HLA which is very close to C# - after you finish that book, C# will be a breeze.

• User profile image
    gabe19

Books are a must, but I think you need to get your hands dirty. Also, realize that learning c# (grammer, syntax, etc) is perhaps 25% of what you need. What you also really need to know is what the Framework provides. To program well, you need to be able to make use of the Framework classes - while you can re-invent the wheel with c#, there is no need to do it.

I would start with some small project you would like to complete - maybe some widget that is helpful to you. Start programming it. Use the book mentioned above to get rolling, but then just start using the docs as you run into problems.

In our development group we have also taken up the mantra that "the Framework probably already does this". So, when you encounter a programming need, be sure and scour the API docs first before programming the solution from the ground up.

• User profile image
    mw5300

That book looks cool Cool. Maybe I'll get the 2005 version when it comes out. Does anyone know of any free online resources? Also, I have MSDN, is there stuff on that?

Thanks!
    Mark

• User profile image
    Minh

mw5300,

C# is only a first step. You kinda have to pick whether you'll be doing desktop programming or web site programming. In .net parlance, you'll be doing WinForms or WebForms programming.

For WebForms, I really like

"ASP.net Unleashed" by Walther

for WinForms, I really, really like

"Programming Microsoft Windows w/ C#" by Petzold

Good luck.

• User profile image
    Mike Dimmick

I learned C# from 'Applied Microsoft .NET Framework Programming' by Jeffrey Richter, and 'Programming Microsoft .NET' by Jeff Prosise. Having said that, I was already skilled in C and C++ by that point and had some small exposure to Java, so adding a new language in the same family wasn't really a problem.

• User profile image
    iStation

I will recommend "Microsoft.NET for Programmers" by Fergal Grimes from Manning Publications Co. (2002)
    http://www.manning.com/books/grimes
    Big Smile
    P.S. I love his sample poker game program.
    I learned C# and .NET by this book with Notepad without Visual Studio.
    Wink

• User profile image
    footballism

Mike Dimmick wrote:

I learned C# from 'Applied Microsoft .NET Framework Programming' by Jeffrey Richter, and 'Programming Microsoft .NET' by Jeff Prosise. Having said that, I was already skilled in C and C++ by that point and had some small exposure to Java, so adding a new language in the same family wasn't really a problem.

Applied Microsoft .NET Framework Programming is awesome, but before you pick up this must read .NET book, you have to read some kinda language books such as Lippman's C# Primer.

Good Luck!!!!
    Sheva

• User profile image
    iStation

footballism wrote:
    Mike Dimmick wrote:

Applied Microsoft .NET Framework Programming is awesome, but before you pick up this must read .NET book, you have to read some kinda language books such as Lippman's C# Primer.

Good Luck!!!!
    Sheva

I wonder if Stephen Prata write a "C# Primer Plus," it would be more helpful for beginners.
    Smiley

• User profile image
    BenZila

http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/express/beginner/

This is a nice site Smiley

And it looks like they finnaly updated it with the rest of the videos.

• User profile image
    footballism

iStation wrote:

I will recommend "Microsoft.NET for Programmers" by Fergal Grimes from Manning Publications Co. (2002)
    http://www.manning.com/books/grimes

P.S. I love his sample poker game program.
    I learned C# and .NET by this book with Notepad without Visual Studio.

Manning Publications Co.'s Books are awesome too, I've read Erik Brown's Windows Forms Programming with C#, and the sample application in this book is splendid:p

Sheva

• User profile image
    footballism

Does any one know whether or not Anders Hejlsberg has ever written any book on C# and .NET? I think Anders is the best person who can explains complex ideas and concept in a simple and easy-to-comprehend way:p

Sheva

• User profile image
    zzzzz

learning C# is not difficult, is pretty verbal language.  not as verbal as VB or Foxpro

Once you pickup the syntax with some basic programs like tic-tac-toe,  (Did it in college), or a dice game. 

You must learn the .Net FrameWork,  O'Reily has some excellent framework books.    I have found MSDN libary sucks the big one when your trying to figure out where in the framework something is placed  Example a Random number Function,

I allso like the C# in a nutshell.

Anoth benefiet with the .net Framework is Mono use the same namespaces

• User profile image
    irascian

footballism wrote:
    Does any one know whether or not Anders Hejlsberg has ever written any book on C# and .NET? I think Anders is the best person who can explains complex ideas and concept in a simple and easy-to-comprehend way

Sheva

"The C# Programming Language" by Anders Heljsberg, Scott Wiltamuth and Peter Golde. Published by Addison Wesley (Microsoft .Net Development Series). ISBN 0-321-15491-6

It "covers new C# 2.0 features" and is a hardback.

Personally I was disappointed with it - it's very dry and a rather "academic" read.

• User profile image
    Angus

I must be one of the worst examples of a computer programmer after reading all these posts! Tongue Out

I just used whatever I found on Google, I know, not good.

Don't do what I did it leads to a limited knowledge, of little to no use.

Angus Higgins

• User profile image
    JChung2006

There are lots of resources on MSDN about C#:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vcsharp/programming/

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.