Coffeehouse Thread

8 posts

awesome thread by jsrfc58, Mike, and Sven

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Nata1

Sorry about shooting my mouth off yesterday - I appologized in the Hello thread Smiley

Out of all the threads on Channel9 - this one without doubt is my personal favorite thread - http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=61776#61776

Frank Hilemand (the VG.net guy), jsrfc58, Mike Dimmick, and Sven (and a couple other people) get into some nitty gritty compiler details.

If only we had more incredible threads like that one

• User profile image
    footballism

Nata1 wrote:

Sorry about shooting my mouth off yesterday - I appologized in the Hello thread

Out of all the threads on Channel9 - this one without doubt is my personal favorite thread - http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=61776#61776

Frank Hilemand (the VG.net guy), jsrfc58, Mike Dimmick, and Sven (and a couple other people) get into some nitty gritty compiler details.

If only we had more incredible threads like that one

Thank goodness, you don't mention Beer again:p

Sheva

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Although I appreciate the honourable mention, I made only one post in that thread. Perplexed

• User profile image
    Nata1

I've been going nuts lately - I'm trying to get HLA down (High level assembly) as fast as possible, and then move onto my next step in my master plan - by next summer, I want to have created a new language based on HLA, that has the exact same syntax as C# - and is object oriented.

My master plan, is to allow anyone who knows C# to create a program in minutes for a handful of cheap MPUs - and to build up a library of classes to make things like talking to X10 devices, medical devices, lots of stuff - I want to have a project type in VS,

The biggest challenges will be creating the compiler, and also that HLA targets MASM or GAS, and I'll need to target another assembler. 

Guys I haven't been this excited about a project since I set out creating the search engine 4 years ago - C9 has turned out to be one of the greatest resources for me

Sorry about the lip I was giving yesterday!  One time at a hockey game I had 3 beers and then went home and totally got into an argument over O/R Mapper lazy loading - it was hilarious to everyone but me Tongue Out

• User profile image
    AndyC

If you can live with the GPL, you might be better off writing a front -end for GCC. It's designed as a two-tier system so it's a lot easier to use to target multiple architectures. You'll also find a lot more information on how to go about doing it. A good place to start would be here.

• User profile image
    Nata1

Yes! That should keep me busy for a long time Smiley

• User profile image
    jsrfc58

Smiley

• User profile image
    jsrfc58

Wow...er, thanks.  Smiley I was just trying to bounce ideas off of the very helpful people here after spending weeks doing through Google searches.

More ideas I bounced off of people:

Data Structures and Timing
    3-D Code Tools
    Off the Wall Questions About Data Structures
    Looking Glass, 3-D Environments 

There is a method to the madness of the questions I was asking, because I had lots of interesting "ideas" for an IDE and a language.  I haven't worked on it in a few months (going through a divorce kind of throws off your concentration a bit), but one thing I was (and still am) trying to figure out is "which platform".  As in, Linux or Windows.  After reading about what might happen to OpenGL performance under Vista and re-familiarizing myself with Knoppix last weekend, I'm leaning towards Linux now. Plus, I had a couple of office application ideas, and well, I don't think Microsoft/Windows needs any help at this point. 

I didn't get very far through some of the compiler books, but that is more of a personal-learning-style issue because one of the books worked really well for me (Louden's I think).  I understand the concepts for the most part.  Problem was, I had to return it to the library (who in turn returned it to the university) and only got through the chapter on "Non-Deterministic Finite State Automata". Perplexed

Besides, for something as big as I am envisioning, I'm still trying to decide whether I want to commit the time to it.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.