Coffeehouse Thread

82 posts

Apple has fun with Longhorn

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    The Channel 9 Team
  • User profile image
    lars

I can't decide if it's cute or fun. Anyway it makes me smile.

/Lars.

• User profile image
    Manip

Yeah, some Mac people have been saying this for a while. If it is a joke then it is very funny, if not then it is very childish.

• User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

Last check Apple already had its hands tied thanks to Windows XP. Their Tiger is biting off more than it can chew. Tongue Out

• User profile image
    JerryP

The same was with OS/2 and NT IBM had T-Shirts (Nice Try, Not there, and so on) you know what happend to OS/2 - so what will happen with .......

• User profile image
    Manip

The thing about Mac is, that their OS is wonderful. It is at least as good as Windows and fare better than Linux (Gnome/KDE). But the hardware is simply too expensive, that is Mac's biggest hurdle at the moment. But even if the price dropped they would still have some problems pulling users as nobody has used a Mac before .. so there would be a delay between a drop in prices and a rise in demand.

• User profile image
    Jeremy W

I'm just about as far from being a Mac guy as you can be (in spite of a past life as a designer and video editor). That said, the pricing on Mac is actually now quite competitive with something from HP / IBM. It isn't as low as Dell's, but it isn't anywhere near what it once was (where you'd pay a 30-50% premium).

To me, the biggest hurdle for Mac is their biggest crutch: "We are the designer's / creative person's OS". Anyone who isn't that, and who isn't pulled in because of the iPod really doesn't have a reason to get a Mac unless someone else shows it to them (and many of these users, sadly get frustrated by interop issues).

I really wish OS [x] all the best as it is the best "Linux distro" around. I just see it needing to overcome huge hurdles.

• User profile image
    Bogusrabin

Manip wrote:

The thing about Mac is, that their OS is wonderful. It is at least as good as Windows and fare better than Linux (Gnome/KDE).

I'm not flaming, but ... why?
    And I think TWM just Rocks!

(Gnome/KDE/etc. works on Solaris, *BSD, etc. too)

• User profile image
    Manip

Please don't tell me you linked to an image of an ugly user-unfriendly GUI and asked me WHY the Mac one is better?
    http://home.arcor.de/highwayman4u/Bilder/OS_X_10.2.6.jpg

Linux desktops are slow, ugly and non-standard. Every application looks different and from one desktop to another (computer) the experience is different (like starting all over again each time). Installing applications is difficult, it is hard to navigate.. it is hard to administer the kernel without the use of console applications.

There are problems on almost EVERY level of the Linux desktop. I've used a modern Mac and COULD in theory see myself using that day to day but I have more extensively tried Linux's offerings and have to date been very disappointed.

• User profile image
    miamijjs

That was lame! For Apple priding its self on being the "creative mans computer" you would think they could do much better than tired old "we have a problem" jokes...

Apple Fears Lognhorn and they know it!

• User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

Manip wrote:

The thing about Mac is, that their OS is wonderful. It is at least as good as Windows and fare better than Linux (Gnome/KDE). But the hardware is simply too expensive, that is Mac's biggest hurdle at the moment. But even if the price dropped they would still have some problems pulling users as nobody has used a Mac before .. so there would be a delay between a drop in prices and a rise in demand.

Macintosh OS versions 1.0 through X makes absolutely no attempt to help you at all. That is wonderful if you know what you are doing but it is not wonderful if you don't. I could go on but I think I'll refer you to a few sites:

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/longhorn_task-based_ui.asp
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnwui/html/iuiguidelines.asp
    http://www.google.com/search?q=inductive+user+interfaces&sourceid=firefox&start=0&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

• User profile image
    Manip

So just to be clear, your comparing old versions of the Mac with future versions of Windows? .. How fair!

• User profile image
    eddwo

It seems OSX Tiger is getting a load of the features we are expecting from Longhorn.

Sync<->WinFS Sync
    Maintain several computers contacts, bookmarks, desktop customisations and files across a home network or over the net with a .mac account.

Spotlight<->WinFS Search

Rapidly seach for and recover related information in many different formats. Not quite as central to the platform as winFS perhaps, but the effect of the UI seems similar

Automator<->InfoAgent
    Trigger actions to occur on various fie system operations and application events.

Dashboard<->Sidebar
    OK, so it doesn't appear to be down the side of the screen, but essensially its lots of peripheral information and utilities like stock tickers, and calculators and calenders.

Lets hope that Microsoft engineers and UI guys get copies of Tiger so that these features work at least as well in Longhorn as the look in OSX.

I was thinking of getting a new PC for playing around with the Longhorn beta next year. Now I might just get a Mac instead. Wink

• User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

Manip wrote:
    So just to be clear, your comparing old versions of the Mac with future versions of Windows? .. How fair!

No, I am not; I am comparing Mac period to Windows period. While I refer to Windows XP much more than I refer to Windows 95, the aspect of Macintosh that I refer to has not changed since Macintosh 1.0 (or any version prior to that for that matter) therefore I am able to refer to every version. If you read the links I posted (in particular the first), you would have known that.

In the future, please wait for a confirmation of your suspicions instead of jumping to a conclusion.

• User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

eddwo wrote:
    It seems OSX Tiger is getting a load of the features we are expecting from Longhorn.

Sync<->WinFS Sync
    Maintain several computers contacts, bookmarks, desktop customisations and files across a home network or over the net with a .mac account.

Spotlight<->WinFS Search

Rapidly seach for and recover related information in many different formats. Not quite as central to the platform as winFS perhaps, but the effect of the UI seems similar

Automator<->InfoAgent
    Trigger actions to occur on various fie system operations and application events.

Dashboard<->Sidebar
    OK, so it doesn't appear to be down the side of the screen, but essensially its lots of peripheral information and utilities like stock tickers, and calculators and calenders.

Lets hope that Microsoft engineers and UI guys get copies of Tiger so that these features work at least as well in Longhorn as the look in OSX.

I was thinking of getting a new PC for playing around with the Longhorn beta next year. Now I might just get a Mac instead. Wink

The Macintosh developers probably listned to what people were saying about some of the features in Longhorn and looked at the Longhorn alpha in order to implement those features. The current implementation is probably not what the implementation in Longhorn will 2 years from now so do not think what Apple is releasing now is superior to what Microsoft will release in 2 years.

• User profile image
    ptooey

I'm no Microsoft hater, and I'm no Apple lover (i'm quite the opposite in both cases), but the reality is, Apple is giving its users what they want *sooner*.

What is Longhorn? Sounds to me like Longhorn is more a technology experiment rather than the next version of Windows. I love leading edge technology, but what's the point in promising all this technology, but not giving access to the technology?

It's nice to combine the business requirements and consumer requirements for an operating system, but if you think too big as Microsoft has done in this case, the only entity who ends up losing is Microsoft itself.

You know what I'd like to see? I'd to see less of the development team assigned to Longhorn, and more on some sort of operation along the lines of a Skunk-Works for Windows..

And that's just what I think of Apple's OS X Development crew.

Why isn't Microsoft dedicating more effort to things like Powertoys? As basic as that was, how many people found those tools useful?

I want more of these highly usable tools on XP now. Not in Longhorn.

• User profile image
    brian.​shapiro

eddwo,

Dashboard<->ActiveDesktop is more like it. it looks a lot like what Microsoft tried to push in Windows 98, including everything down to how when you move over the item the close button appears

its also similar to Microsoft's Activity Center concept.

brian.shapiro

• User profile image
    manickernel

Mac's OS... but isn't it BSD??

(Now who is doing embrace and extend?)

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.