Coffeehouse Thread

4 posts

Download.Ject and Restricting Local Machine Zone

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    manickernel

...per Microsoft article 833633

On Windows 2000 desktops this breaks the ability to use Explorer to view folders, kinda major. Doesn't seem to do it on XP.

Get message:  Your current security settings prohibit running ActiveX controls on this page. Therefore, the page may not display correctly.

You can click ok but folder contents still will not display, as many users have shortcuts on their desktops to folders on their hard drives this is a bit of an issue.

Hope I am mistaken and missed something in the article, but I have read it and checked my reg files repeatedly. At least it was easy to undo, and I had only applied it to 20 users. ( MIS loves being the guinea pig )

Vance

• User profile image
    Karim

OMG you have got to be joking.  LOL!

I'm so glad you went first.  I looked at that KB article, saw how complicated it was, and went, "Ummmmm.... nahhhhhhhhh!!!"

Have you tried the fix at

http://www.eeye.com/html/research/alerts/AL20040610.html

?

Good luck!!!!

• User profile image
    manickernel

The regfixer? Yes, deployed that to users via startup script, just make sure you keep it off the servers.

..the sky didn't fall so ...

Vance

• User profile image
    fimac

Any idea what service pack your Win2k machine was at?  I saw the same issue with Explorer, but that was an SP3 machine - I've got to test with SP4.
    Also, is there a way to disable the message - "Your current security settings prohibit running ActiveX controls on this page. Therefore, the page may not display correctly."...?

Fion

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.